Fan590 reporting ... NHL/NHLPA Wednesday meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeta16

Mar 17, 2003
Ohio
orcatown said:
Is it true that Fox is reporting that the outlines of a possible 8 year deal, involving rollbacks and a soft cap, have been put together.

On the Doug Mclain show, he said the owners would never do anything like that. No lux tax, and this is the time to fix hockey.

quartermaster29

Oct 15, 2004
USA
orcatown said:
Is it true that Fox is reporting that the outlines of a possible 8 year deal, involving rollbacks and a soft cap, have been put together.

I can't find anything on their website that reports this. They pretty much said the same things that TSN said.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Zeta16 said:
On the Doug Mclain show, he said the owners would never do anything like that. No lux tax, and this is the time to fix hockey.

IMO if the League agreed to a Soft Cap now, other major concessions would need to be given from the players. Like gauranteed contracts and no arbitration rights.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Oilhitch said:
IMO if the League agreed to a Soft Cap now, other major concessions would need to be given from the players. Like gauranteed contracts and no arbitration rights.

The players would cave faster for a cap at the expense of keeping guaranteed contracts. I would too when the average salary is what it is.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
interview on Fan590/Sportsnet Ontario with Roger Millions.

the meeting was a joke, they met behind security, media was buying the cheapest flights they could find just to get through security.

he said Linden didn't look too happy and looked frustrated after the meeting,

all sides did say it was a good meeting

Hotchkiss likely went to reaffirm the League's stance

no confirmation from Millions that they have set another meeting

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
HF2002 said:
interview on Fan590/Sportsnet Ontario with Roger Millions.

the meeting was a joke, they met behind security, media was buying the cheapest flights they could find just to get through security.

he said Linden didn't look too happy and looked frustrated after the meeting,

all sides did say it was a good meeting

Hotchkiss likely went to reaffirm the League's stance

no confirmation from Millions that they have set another meeting

Finally coming to the realization that the cap is inevitable would leave anyone frustrated :shakehead

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
GregStack said:
Give the man the Hart trophy if there is a season. He is the Leagues most valuable player this season--regardless of play.

Why? Cause he finally realized the owners weren't joking about cost certainty, as for me, everyone that's head of the NHLPA can go **** themselves for wasting our time in thinking that the owners would roll over

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
Why? Cause he finally realized the owners weren't joking about cost certainty, as for me, everyone that's head of the NHLPA can go **** themselves for wasting our time in thinking that the owners would roll over

Or maybe it's because he was the only person in th elockeout who actually tried to fix anything. The rest was just a bunch of whining babies crying becasue they can't manage their own teams, and the others refusing to do ****.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
GregStack said:
Or maybe it's because he was the only person in th elockeout who actually tried to fix anything. The rest was just a bunch of whining babies crying becasue they can't manage their own teams, and the others refusing to do ****.

Doubt it, players backs are against the wall, players thought the owners would back off their cap stance, just like 1994, didin't work this time, Linden and the PA know now that the owners aren't playin', look at the timing in which Linden called this "meeting of the minds" awfully close to what many were saying would be the drop dead date...I don't buy this Linded will save the season crap, that's how this whole thing is made to seem, but I see through the lines, you can't fool a fool!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
Doubt it, players backs are against the wall, players thought the owners would back off their cap stance, just like 1994, didin't work this time, Linden and the PA know now that the owners aren't playin', look at the timing in which Linden called this "meeting of the minds" awfully close to what many were saying would be the drop dead date...I don't buy this Linded will save the season crap, that's how this whole thing is made to seem, but I see through the lines, you can't fool a fool!

I'm not going to say that Linden may have been forced into calling the meeting, however he still did it, which is more than can be said for the NHLs side.

Nobodies done anything too great yet, but if Linden's meeting proves useful enough to get a season, he's definitely getting the "hero" brand from me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
GregStack said:
I'm not going to say that Linden may have been forced into calling the meeting, however he still did it, which is more than can be said for the NHLs side.

Nobodies done anything too great yet, but if Linden's meeting proves useful enough to get a season, he's definitely getting the "hero" brand from me.

Well it was up to the players to make a move, so...the worst part is, if the players accepted a cap, they could probably hustle the owners on almost every other issue that's at the table, that's how bad the owners want cost certainty

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well it was up to the players to make a move, so...the worst part is, if the players accepted a cap, they could probably hustle the owners on almost every other issue that's at the table, that's how bad the owners want cost certainty

So if the owners will break on every other issue, including the far more important UFA age of players, why the hell do fans support them? How would the league be better?

Illogical, as per the norm.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
scaredsensfan said:
So if the owners will break on every other issue, including the far more important UFA age of players, why the hell do fans support them? How would the league be better?

Illogical, as per the norm.

maybe so, but the fact remains, the owners want cost certainty, once the players accept that, as I assume they already have or are starting to realize, then IMO, they'll be able to negotiate in a better position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->