Fan-voted 2005 1st round Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
After almost 2 months of polls on the poll board, here is how a 1st round mock turned out:

1. Pittsburgh - C Sidney Crosby
2. Chicago - C Gilbert Brule (86/108 - 80%)
3. Washington - D Jack Johnson (57/63 - 90%)
4. Columbus - RW Bobby Ryan (31/60 - 52%)
5. Phoenix - LW Benoit Pouliot (26/70 - 37%)
6. NY Rangers - C Marek Zagrapan (24/56 - 43%)
7. Florida - LW Guillaume Latendresse (27/57 - 47%)
8. Carolina - C/RW Alex Bourret (14/55 - 25%)
9. Anaheim - D Marc Staal (19/57 - 33%)
10. Atlanta - C Anze Kopitar (15/58 - 26%)
11. Los Angeles - G Tuukka Rask (25/51 - 49%)
12. Minnesota - C Ryan O'Marra (19/59 - 32%)
13. Buffalo - C Jack Skille (13/49 - 27%)
14. Edmonton - RW Devin Setoguchi (25/68 - 37%)
15. Nashville - G Carey Price (16/53 - 30%)
16. NY Islanders - D Jakub Kindl (15/42 - 36%)
17. St. Louis - RW Nicklas Bergfors (16/49 - 33%)
18. Montreal - D Ryan Parent (14/58 - 24%)
19. Calgary - LW Kenndal McArdle (19/49 - 39%)
20. Dallas - LW Ryan Stoa (18/45 - 40%)
21. Colorado - RW Dan Bertram (19/55 - 35%)
22. New Jersey - G Jean-Philippe Levasseur (14/47 - 30%)
23. Philadelphia - D Luc Bourdon (13/39 - 33%)
24. Vancouver - C Chris Durand (18/48 - 38%)
25. Ottawa - C Andrew Cogliano (11/44 - 25%)
26. Toronto - C T.J. Hensick (18/46 - 39%)
27. Boston - RW Denis Istomin (13/55 - 24%)
28. San Jose - D Matt Lashoff (10/32 - 31%)
29. Detroit - G Alexandre Vincent (9/43 - 21%)
30. Tampa Bay - D Brian Lee (13/42 - 31 %)

It can't please everyone, any thoughts?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Hmmm. . . Flyers selecting a defenseman with their 1st pick. Makes sense, since we have no real prospects behind Pitkanen and Seidenberg. What can someome tell me about Bourdon, and the other d-man prospects? Also, what are the chances of the Flyers moving up to #3 or 4 to select Bobby Ryan, whose family is close with Bobby Clarke? I hear he compares to a young John LeClair.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
mercury said:
Hmmm. . . Flyers selecting a defenseman with their 1st pick. Makes sense, since we have no real prospects behind Pitkanen and Seidenberg. What can someome tell me about Bourdon, and the other d-man prospects? Also, what are the chances of the Flyers moving up to #3 or 4 to select Bobby Ryan, whose family is close with Bobby Clarke? I hear he compares to a young John LeClair.

Everyone seems pretty convinced that the Flyers are going to land Ryan somehow. Are they aware that it would probably cost them someone they don't want to give up? It's not going to be Tony Amonte that lands them the fourth overall pick...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
Everyone seems pretty convinced that the Flyers are going to land Ryan somehow. Are they aware that it would probably cost them someone they don't want to give up? It's not going to be Tony Amonte that lands them the fourth overall pick...

You're right, it could be Ruslan Fedotenko..........

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
n00dles said:
I highly doubt the Wings would go with yet another goalie even if Vincent is the best player available (always arguable this late in the first round).

I agree. They have Howard and Liv in the wings (no pun intended) and there are more pressing needs, such as on defense. If a guy like Lee was available, they would snatch him before picking another goaile.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
nomorekids, you can't blame a guy for trying, can you? Seriously, though, Clarke seems to be the kind of guy who will pull the trigger on a deal to move up, if there is someody he really wants. The 6'2", 220 lb. power forward from Cherry Hill, NJ (where about half of our team lives) AND has known Clarke since he was a child sounds like it JUST might interest him. The question is, what would we have to give up?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
I agree. They have Howard and Liv in the wings (no pun intended) and there are more pressing needs, such as on defense. If a guy like Lee was available, they would snatch him before picking another goaile.

that was my issue with this poll, even as it took place. it was being voted on by fans who didn't know the needs of the team in question..so it was like every team went by BPA, which isn't realistic.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Unfortunatly I could see Kenndal McArdle going higher then the mid to late teens that he is slated to go.

I'd love to see him fall to wherever the Flames draft, a great NHL prospect.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
mercury said:
nomorekids, you can't blame a guy for trying, can you? Seriously, though, Clarke seems to be the kind of guy who will pull the trigger on a deal to move up, if there is someody he really wants. The 6'2", 220 lb. power forward from Cherry Hill, NJ (where about half of our team lives) AND has known Clarke since he was a child sounds like it JUST might interest him. The question is, what would we have to give up?

no, i certainly don't blame you for trying or being interested. I think Ryan is a great prospect..but I'm just saying..to move that far up..won't come cheaply.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
that was my issue with this poll, even as it took place. it was being voted on by fans who didn't know the needs of the team in question..so it was like every team went by BPA, which isn't realistic.
I think going by best player available is alot more realistic then drafting by team needs.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MrMastodonFarm said:
I think going by best player available is alot more realistic then drafting by team needs.

It depends. For example...the Preds...who are so stocked up on d-men and RWs...would select a guy that they, as an organization, could hardly even pencil in just because he's a little better than the center that's available and they desperately need? That's how you end up with gaps in your depth chart.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:

Not in some cases. Again, why would Detroit draft a goalie when they have to excellent prospects in Howard and Liv? It doesn't make sense even if Vincent is considered the "best player available."

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
nomorekids said:
It depends. For example...the Preds...who are so stocked up on d-men and RWs...would select a guy that they, as an organization, could hardly even pencil in just because he's a little better than the center that's available and they desperately need? That's how you end up with gaps in your depth chart.
I beleive that if there is a clear tie in terms of a prospect, then yes, you go with a team need. But most teams (atleast from what I've watched over the years) seem to go with taking the best player available despite team depth strenth and weakness.

Drafting and going for team needs always came across as a flawed idea for me. THe majority of these guys -- even the top first rounders -- won't be ready until up to 5 years down the road. If you have an immediate depth problem you solve that by trades. Drafting a guy who won't be ready until several years down the road to address an immediate depth problem won't solve anything.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:

I agree, that is the smartest move. If a team has a crap load of D and the next bets player is a D and then the drop off to any other position is noticable, then you take the D. Plus, like Sutter says, you can never have enough D prospects.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Not in some cases. Again, why would Detroit draft a goalie when they have to excellent prospects in Howard and Liv? It doesn't make sense even if Vincent is considered the "best player available."
No, I agree. Drafting the best player available isn't always the case, someteams don't want to add more depth is their prospect base is always high.. but the majority of the time it makes sence. And I think in this scenario (mock draft) it works better.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reign Nateo said:
Carey Price at 15 and you're complaining? :propeller

It's a proven fact, fans of the teams who take goalies in a mock draft will not be happy.

As for the whole team need deal, watch and see how many teams don't pick a player at their most glaring current need. As one example, people last year didn't have any goalies going inside the top 10 really, then Montoya goes 6th to New York who already had Lundqvist and Blackburn.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Steadfast said:
It's a proven fact, fans of the teams who take goalies in a mock draft will not be happy.

As for the whole team need deal, watch and see how many teams don't pick a player at their most glaring current need. As one example, people last year didn't have any goalies going inside the top 10 really, then Montoya goes 6th to New York who already had Lundqvist and Blackburn.

Goaltending was a huge need for the Rangers at the time and the pick didn't really surprise anyone. Lundqvist was only considered a decent prospect at the time and Blackburn had the potential career ending injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->