Fan violence at Panthers game caught on video

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He's been identified but his name hasn't been released yet. His victim is 62 years old and is a fellow Panthers fan.

f*** him. I bet he is one of those "life-long" fans who suddenly became a fan in 2015. f*** his girlfriend too, seems like a you-know-what.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This crap happens at every game in every sport. Which leads many of us to not even bother and just stay in the comfort of our home.

I hope they perma-ban his lady friend as well.

Sep 19, 2008
This crap happens at every game in every sport. Which leads many of us to not even bother and just stay in the comfort of our home.

I hope they perma-ban his lady friend as well.

Meh, I've been to a lot of games and it barely happens

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I keep seeing contradictory stuff on this; some of them (tweets, mostly) state that the old guy was hurling racist slurs at them and got punched for it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Regardless if the victim was yelling racist garbage or not (smells like BS), you don't punch a guy square in the face like that FOUR times, and expect to not get arrested for it.

I've seen some crazy BS at games in my life, but that was hard to watch.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'm not saying bruh didn't deserve to be arrested (he did), I'm saying it's funny that the ensuing headlines vary depending on the source.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm not saying bruh didn't deserve to be arrested (he did), I'm saying it's funny that the ensuing headlines vary depending on the source.

I don't know, someone posted on /r/Panthers that the victim was using racial epithets aimed at hispanics, but the dude is clearly white. Either way, the aggressor is clearly in the wrong.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
To me the guy sounded like he was saying something about respect not a racial slur.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I keep seeing contradictory stuff on this; some of them (tweets, mostly) state that the old guy was hurling racist slurs at them and got punched for it.

I've seen that too and I think it's all bullshit. I'm not 100% sure but it sounds to me like he is saying "You won't sit" before he gets punched.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Could you imagine being so insecure that you have to punch an unsuspecting old guy in the face because he said something to you (if that's the case)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I agree with those who are saying it sounds like he's saying something about respect.

Not victim blaming, but he left himself wide open for those suckerpunches by leaning in sitting down. The idiot in front was standing up with his fist balled ready to hit him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

racist slurs?

they both look white

also, the puncher has racked up a record the past few years. LSD possession and assault/battery. seems like a stand-up guy

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
For those inquiring about the racial slur rumor, it's been confirmed by several people at the game that never happened.

The complaint was the guy and his girlfriend refused to sit during the game, blocking the view of those behind them. The people being obstructed asked several times for them to sit.

Apparently the couple didn't like being asked to sit and responded by cussing and what not. The 3 empty seats next to the victim were filled by a mom and her 2 kids. They left because of the couple's actions and words before the fight (this hasn't been officially confirmed).

According to those around, what the victim said (which some say sounded like a racial slur) was "sit...(then he was punched). The victim was also pointing down towards the guys seat.

The kid who threw the punch has since gotten a lawyer and the official response never mentioned being called a name. The lawyer said his client was feeling threatened by the people behind him and only threw a punch because he was afraid. They are claiming self defense/stand your ground protection saying the couple was harassed all game but none of that was on the recording, per his lawyer.

How self defense or stand your ground is going to help him when he not only continued punching after the victim covered up, but also stop/started again and appeared to want to continue before finally leaving, is beyond me?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah get stadium security if that's the case.
Typically I’d agree, but considering what’s going on in the world, that sort of behavior or comment should be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

He may be an idiot, but this was a public service he performed if his reported motive is correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad