Fan Strike!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That is it. I am fed up. This is insane. We effectively have a penis measuring contest right now with neither side willing to give anything. Screw the NHL and the PA. I am calling for a fan strike.

I am livid. If the season is cancelled this weekend I will personally be not going to the first half of the Oilers next season. Then for every month we go after that with no agreement I will add a week on.

This may seem drastic or not enough of a stance to you all so I am open to suggestion. How can we let both these sides know that they can't dick around with their entire customer base like this. It seems the only thing these side understand is money so that is where we have to hit them. They won't care unless it starts to affect their bottom line.

I encourage all of you to think about how we can make these idiots realize the damage they are doing and once we come to an agreement on the terms of the strike, send it out to every message board, every media outlet, every blog to make sure this reaches NHL fans everywhere. We have the actual power as without the fans NEITHER SIDE GETS ANY MONEY.

So I'll open the floor. Please offer up any ideas you have.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
declare an impasse

Play with scabs.

Get a good deal down the road to allow for cheaper ticket prices!

You gotta have dreams:)

(you'll be back, who are you trying to kid? When(if?) the Oilers threads hit the ice in Edmonton, we'll all be back)

Robert Paulson*

Post before this gets closed.

Yet another rant from a disillusioned hockey "fan."

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
AM said:
Play with scabs.

Get a good deal down the road to allow for cheaper ticket prices!

You gotta have dreams:)

(you'll be back, who are you trying to kid? When(if?) the Oilers threads hit the ice in Edmonton, we'll all be back)
*smack*

MattNJD

Oct 21, 2002
New Jersey
s7ark said:
That is it. I am fed up. This is insane. We effectively have a penis measuring contest right now with neither side willing to give anything. Screw the NHL and the PA. I am calling for a fan strike.

I am livid. If the season is cancelled this weekend I will personally be not going to the first half of the Oilers next season. Then for every month we go after that with no agreement I will add a week on.

This may seem drastic or not enough of a stance to you all so I am open to suggestion. How can we let both these sides know that they can't dick around with their entire customer base like this. It seems the only thing these side understand is money so that is where we have to hit them. They won't care unless it starts to affect their bottom line.

I encourage all of you to think about how we can make these idiots realize the damage they are doing and once we come to an agreement on the terms of the strike, send it out to every message board, every media outlet, every blog to make sure this reaches NHL fans everywhere. We have the actual power as without the fans NEITHER SIDE GETS ANY MONEY.

Never thouht I would agree w/ something like this... but... sign me up!
:madfire: :banghead: :madfire:

Reilly311

BRING BACK THE JETS!!!!PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenback

Feb 2, 2005
MB.CA
Actually, I am on the other side of this.
If the NHL comes back to play this year, I will not be watching. The season is sunk so the best they can do is make damn sure everything is set for next season. The idea that they can salvage a fractional season and the fans will like it is insulting. They screwed this season. Accept it.

There are other problems with a fan strike. Fans are fickle or fanatics. Either they won't care what you are trying to accomplish or they will go because they apparently are compelled to go to games or watch them on TV. Very few fans actually care to make a statement and most of those are not paying customers to any real extent so the NHL can't be bothered.

We are consumers watching a labour dispute between employers and employees. We have no dog in the fight. People seem to forget that.

Robert Paulson*

Reilly311 said:
BRING BACK THE JETS!!!!PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY
:lol :lol

Yet another rant from a disillusioned hockey fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
Maybe fans could sue both the NHL and the NHLPA for not bargaining in good faith and then we can impose our own CBA?

Seriously, it seems to me it's difficult to put any pressure now on any side since they seem to be willing to forget about the money generated by the League for a year. Coming from France, I would suggest violent protest and destroying NHL buildings as well as players houses but that might be a little radical :) So I think we're definittely and royally f.... and there is not much we can do now...

And I think it's presomptuous to say I will not be back to the arena when things start over...

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
s7ark said:

I hear you. Wouldn't it be awesome though, if there was someway you could organize a city wide strike on the first televised game of the season. Think about it. The first game of the new NHL played in an empty arena. It would be statement for sure. Get a columnist on board to spread the word, I don't know, but to me that would be the ultimate statement

mackdogs*

s7ark said:

I like your enthusiasm and emotion stark but don't forget a big part of this strike is to save the little guys... namely our beloved Oilers. I won't pay for a single thing for an entire year is what I've decided to do. I will however listen to every game and watch every game I can for free. After all, we're still hockey fans and if a favorable CBA comes out of this us Oilers fans have to be ecstatic.

PredsFan77*

s7ark said:

Yes a FAN STRIKE!!! I'll go get my mace. Attack!!!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hey I never said I wouldn't watch them. I will happily watch them on TV for free. I still love hockey and want it to suceed, and a good TV deal helps that. Gate receipts is where they make most of there money and even a collective no one shows for one game league wide might get that across. And no Tampa fans I don't mean the season opener. You deserve to see your banner raised. But another game?

I just think that we need to make our voices heard. If we sit back and do nothing what is to stop them from doing this again in a few years?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I say we strike too. We can go to CHL games and AHL games and AA minor league games and then when we are there... We'll watch hockey.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Currently? Not a damn thing.

If/when there are replacement players, the best thing the fans can do is go to the games. If enough fans show up, the whole dynamic of the players position is toast. Fans won't expect quality, but they'll be sending the players a crushing blow by showing up.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I guess since I didnt post this is doesnt belong in the rant thread.

Anyway.

Strike this. A fan strike is usless. If you boo someone else will cheer. If you dont go someone else will. Turn you back on the players if you want but you still paid to get in.

If fans stop going who are they showing whos boss? The owners had to have millions to buy the teams. They didnt get that money from the fans. If nobody ever goes again the owners will still live in their big houses, drive their fancy cars, and live off their millions in the bank. You on the other hand will still have your crappy job, ugly wife, and stupid kids. And no NHL hockey to watch. Way to show em whos boss.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
iagreewithidiots said:
I guess since I didnt post this is doesnt belong in the rant thread.

Anyway.

Strike this. A fan strike is usless. If you boo someone else will cheer. If you dont go someone else will. Turn you back on the players if you want but you still paid to get in.

If fans stop going who are they showing whos boss? The owners had to have millions to buy the teams. They didnt get that money from the fans. If nobody ever goes again the owners will still live in their big houses, drive their fancy cars, and live off their millions in the bank. You on the other hand will still have your crappy job, ugly wife, and stupid kids. And no NHL hockey to watch. Way to show em whos boss.
Bingo. Agreed. There will always be people who are willing to take advantage of these types of situations.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
s7ark said:
Hey I never said I wouldn't watch them. I will happily watch them on TV for free. I still love hockey and want it to suceed, and a good TV deal helps that. Gate receipts is where they make most of there money and even a collective no one shows for one game league wide might get that across. And no Tampa fans I don't mean the season opener. You deserve to see your banner raised. But another game?

I just think that we need to make our voices heard. If we sit back and do nothing what is to stop them from doing this again in a few years?

Another game is exactly what I was thinking, hell it could even be a preseason game. The point is not necessarily to miss a hockey game, but to embarrass the NHL on national tv, just as the NHL has embarassed it's fans the last several months

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
s7ark said:
That is it. I am fed up. This is insane.

HERE IS MY - I AM JUST A FAN ** SOAP BOX SPEACH **

I am just a fan who believes that expansion has watered down the game that I love to watch with a passion.

As a fan .. Why would I care if there are 30 teams or 24 remaining after this lockout holocaust ??..

With 24 Teams they all would be stronger financially and stronger on the ice as the good players on the contracted/bankrupt teams would be added to the remaining surviving ones. Resulting in the players on those teams that are career minor leaguers to once again return to where they belong. As I firmly believe you are only as Strong as your Weakest link ..

I would rather see Jerome Iginla setting up Ilya Kovalchuk in Calgary for a highlight reel goal then to see Calgary setting up the trap to prohibit Atlanta's Kovalchuk from scoring, while Iginla is taking passes from 40 year old Dave Lowry and goon Chris Simon to try to get the Flames a win..

I bet you Revenue and attendance in Calgary post lockout would soar upwards to see Ilya and Jerome on the same team then playing against each other .. and so would I if I was tuning into a HNIC Canada double header game on TV .. I might even renew my Centre Ice Hockey Package and catch the Flames during the week to see that in fact .. Imagine that excitement from a fan perspective post lockout ..

I don't care if NHL players jobs are lost as I am not a player and I don't care if Teams are lost as I am not an owner, but as as a FAN who is paying the bill on both sides I care what I am paying for ..

I am a fan and the only part of this whole Fiasco that I am interested in that begs the question - "What's in it for me"? ...

I think Bettman's tearing down the strong for the sake of the weak already on life support is a very poor business decision ..and after all the dust settles will make the NHL game a far less entertaining product on the Ice and profitable one in the books, and when these teams fail and I firmly believe they will, which will result in Bettman's head and firing...Fans then we will be locked into a 6 year CBA, without the head of the monster that created it around to blame any longer ..

So that is why I want to see the PLAN .. MR. Bettman that will convince me otherwise ..If this is all about Money and which side gets more then I am keeping mine and finding others ways to spend it .. Have fun dividing up nothing ..

jacketracket*

I'm frustrated too, and wish they were playing.

But I think both sides realize that there's a serious problem with the league's structure that needs fixing. I'd be angrier if the two sides had thrown together some last-second deal with the sole intent of not cancelling the season, only to end up back in this spot a year or so from now.

I don't see the league disappearing simply because they lost a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad