Fan Culture in Finland

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I suppose that depends on what you wish to emphasize, HIFK has the most credible claim to at least some ultra culture, albeit more so in soccer than in hockey. Still the most hardcore fans. Jokerit is not far behind should they return. Lukko has a devoted fanbase that shows up also when the team isn't doing so well which is not the case everywhere. Ilves and Tappara have the best rivalry and strongest local traditions. Kärpät has by far the largest territory if that's a thing.

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
Rank from top to bottom
1. Ilves: Osasto 41
Clear winners currently in the finnish hockey fan scene and no other Liiga fan group comes close

Last derby in the Hakametsä rink

last game in Hakemetsä

2. KooKoo: Kuudes kenttäpelaaja
last season was really great
3. Lukko: Rauman boja
This fan group has definetly gone less active but i still respect this group

4. Tappara: Sinioranssit
Pretty bad regular season by them but they were ok in playoffs

5. Kärpät: Poromafia
They have usually been one of the best groups in the 2010s but this season they were only good on playoffs
6. Vaasan Sport: Red army
This fan group used to be the best in Finland but the scene in Vaasa has gone downhill in the last few years
7. HPK: HPK kannattajat
The group is quite active but they are small in numbers
8. HIFK: Stadin Kingit
They have at times good atmosphere but not very consistent
9. JYP: Hurrikaanisydän
They are quite active but they just play instruments like cowbells and drums

The rest don't really standout since they are so bad

Reactions: Eye of Ra and Omark

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
Some highlights from this year

Osasto 41 away in Vaasa

Poromafia or PM07 celebrated the 15th birthday of the supporters group

another tifo by PM07

HPK kannattajat celebrating the return of Hietanen with a tifo

Mustaverkosto with a tifo saying: Lets return springs games to Kuopio

TPS kannattajat celebrating 100th birthday of TPS

Reactions: Eye of Ra

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
What’s the general hockey culture like in Finland? Seems fairly comparable to Canada, or at least the most comparable to Canada that I’ve seen. Every so often I stumble upon someone from Finland on Instagram (normally car related, fishing or outdoor photography related) and quite often they’ll have photos of playing hockey or being at a hockey game.

Yellow and the green

Dec 26, 2020
What’s the general hockey culture like in Finland? Seems fairly comparable to Canada, or at least the most comparable to Canada that I’ve seen. Every so often I stumble upon someone from Finland on Instagram (normally car related, fishing or outdoor photography related) and quite often they’ll have photos of playing hockey or being at a hockey game.
Hockey is definetly the biggest sport in Finland culturally. Club wise the finnish hockey league is way more popular than the finnish football league and the national team can get 2 million television viewers when Finland is in the IIHF world championship playoffs. Newspapers get way more views from Patrik Laines private life than Teemu Pukki(Basically the best football player from Finland).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hockey is definetly the biggest sport in Finland culturally. Club wise the finnish hockey league is way more popular than the finnish football league and the national team can get 2 million television viewers when Finland is in the IIHF world championship playoffs. Newspapers get way more views from Patrik Laines private life than Teemu Pukki(Basically the best football player from Finland).
Though it's worth noting that especially English Premier League soccer clubs are huge in the Nordic countries the way even NHL franchises don't come close to.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

You can compare Finland to Canada as hockey-only country.

And Sweden is more like United states, there's other sports people are interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad