FAN 590: the meeting has ended without any comments, will meet again this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Anyone read this from the TSN article?

"While another meeting is planned, hockey fans shouldn't get their hopes up. A source close to the talks said he was not very optimistic after Wednesday's meeting."

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Recently I have heard on Bob McCown shown and Team 1040 that Fox who owns the regional broadcast rights for 20 of the 26 US teams, have told teams that they want the same revenue sharing deal that the league has nationaly. The reasoning was that FOX would not be able to command the same amount for local advertising because of the lockout. Is this the reason behind all the meetings? These contracts run 2-5 years and could impact clubs like the Wings and Avs. Add to that the fact that the merchandising revenues fell 80% for 2004 and could this financial pressure be having an impact on the negotiations?

Go Flames Go*

vanlady said:
Recently I have heard on Bob McCown shown and Team 1040 that Fox who owns the regional broadcast rights for 20 of the 26 US teams, have told teams that they want the same revenue sharing deal that the league has nationaly. The reasoning was that FOX would not be able to command the same amount for local advertising because of the lockout. Is this the reason behind all the meetings? These contracts run 2-5 years and could impact clubs like the Wings and Avs. Add to that the fact that the merchandising revenues fell 80% for 2004 and could this financial pressure be having an impact on the negotiations?

So what you are saying is fox is demanding the 20 american teams that have local broadcasting deals share thoose monies 100% with the league?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Go Flames Go said:
So what you are saying is fox is demanding the 20 american teams that have local broadcasting deals share thoose monies 100% with the league?

No as in if FOX makes money they will share it with the teams as local broadcast rights.

Go Flames Go*

They players need to look at the damage they are causing and get this solved.

Crows*

Go Flames Go said:

That's why I send them emails every day on their website.

I will take credit for the end of the lockout. :lol:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Go Flames Go said:

Just the players? What about the owners? They do no wrong, huh? They're not the ones who gave some of these players outrageous contracts, but you want to put 100 of the blame on the players. If you're so anti-player I would be led to beleive that you're not going to watch hockey, or at least you shouldn't since your hatred and agenda against the players is so profound, it's almost funny.

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
Just the players? What about the owners? They do no wrong, huh? They're not the ones who gave some of these players outrageous contracts, but you want to put 100 of the blame on the players. If you're so anti-player I would be led to beleive that you're not going to watch hockey, or at least you shouldn't since your hatred and agenda against the players is so profound, it's almost funny.

Deadline hunting is most definitely Goodenow's MO, so the majority of the blame goes to him for having the real negotiations taking place, AFTER both sides have done damage to the game.

In fact, Bettman's refusal to give Bobby his deadline has been just one of the ways he has outmanouvered Goodenow, this time around.

Brent Burns Beard