Fan 590 Reports NHLPA on Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
$45 mill is fair, if the league won't take it then what the hell, let 'em burn

it's gonna be those "small market" teams who fold anyways if the league is locked out for an even longer time...already in a weak market + long lockout = not much support and revenue when things come back on

this is a joke

OilerNut*

Levitate said:
$45 mill is fair, if the league won't take it then what the hell, let 'em burn

it's gonna be those "small market" teams who fold anyways if the league is locked out for an even longer time...already in a weak market + long lockout = not much support and revenue when things come back on

this is a joke

Do you know that the $45 million cap is static throughout the cba or does it increase like the NHLPA had it in their last offer? What's the point of the cap if it is at 70-80 million in a couple years.

NYR2

Feb 19, 2004
New York
I can't believe I was dumb enough to fall for this crap AGAIN. :shakehead

PredsFan77 said:
yes and let those teams giving Holik 9 million per keep killing hockey... :shakehead

Oh get off it, like they were the only big spending team. :rolleyes:

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Lowetide said:
I don't think it is such a bad idea. Honestly. It is patently unfair to expect the NHLPA to watch millions of dollars go to big market teams like New York and Toronto without a clear and precise template in terms of revenue sharing.

How on earth can reasonable people expect any other result?
not just the NHLPA, but the fans.

understand this, fans of large market clubs such as myself will not tolerate an NHL with a hard cap far below $45 million - you can take that to the bank. we refuse to pay AT LEAST $40 a ticket just to see little jimmy dolan pocket that money and increase the value of his cablevision stock options. large market teams set the tone for this league - without them this league is finished. and let me assure you that if the small market hawks are successful in implementing a draconian $30-40 million cap, they'll have alienated a sizeable majority of us.

if your team cannot compete in an environment with a $45 million hard cap, $40 million soft cap with 100% luxury tax, ELS reforms, two-way/final offer arbitration, and sub-100% qualifiers, your team must get out and stop sabotaging this league. enough is enough.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Baradin said:
You honestly believe this to be the case? I'm sorry and mayhap I'm being overly pessemistic but I cannot see the players en-mass deciding to accept a position they have been against from the start. Hell we've all seen the reports that the players were suprised and somewhat perturbed that the Union officials decided to accept a cap.

They were being ill informed so far. At the start of the year, many players were even surprised the owners declared a lockout. Can you imagine? All along, the players were convinced that the owners would cave (from what their leadership was telling them), they were convinced they'd get what they want.

However, now it's the time where there are players that are starting to look into this for themselves and they see the real picture. They have seen the owners reject an offer of something close to $45M (cap). They know revenues will be down next year as well. Many players haven't really enjoyed their stay in Europe either. They want the big bucks rolling in again, they can't see themselves missing two seasons in a row, especially the more marginal players, with a 5 year career average. Hence, they will cross the line, a majority of them (I'd say around 400 players). Since a majority will cross, it will break the union even before they can plead their case with the NLRB.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
nedved93 said:
understand this, fans of large market clubs such as myself will not tolerate an NHL with a hard cap far below $45 million - you can take that to the bank. we refuse to pay AT LEAST $40 a ticket just to see little jimmy dolan pocket that money and increase the value of his cablevision stock options. large market teams set the tone for this league - without them this league is finished. and let me assure you that if the small market hawks are successful in implementing a draconian $30-40 million cap, they'll have alienated a sizeable majority of us.

Couldn't agree more. It is completely unfair to expect NYR fans to pay Ryan Smyth's salary.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
PecaFan said:
I don't think so. I still think they're the ones holding this up.

The NHLPA are seeing the owners as desperate right now, and they're sticking to their guns. They keep going to these meetings, expecting the NHL to give in.

It also benefits them for things to be seen as close, which is why they leak it, then the NHL announces that things weren't very close.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=115459&hubName=nhl

Saskin's quote to TSN:
"I can't see anything worse than what they put on the table today," said Saskin.

Hey Saskin, wait until you see what's on the table in a few months.

H.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
nedved93 said:
not just the NHLPA, but the fans.

if your team cannot compete in an environment with a $45 million hard cap, $40 million soft cap with 100% luxury tax, ELS reforms, two-way/final offer arbitration, and sub-100% qualifiers, your team must get out and stop sabotaging this league. enough is enough.

This Ranger fan couldn't agree more.

If there are enough votes to kill a cap at a low point like $45 million, this league is doomed in its present format and needs to split up. It's as simple as that.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
hockeymistress said:

Saskin's quote to TSN:
"I can't see anything worse than what they put on the table today," said Saskin.

H.

It's hard to know what to make of this because at worst, the PA saw the offer that was put in the letter last Tuesday.

Unless the league actually made a WORSE offer, which makes no sense.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Greschner4 said:

If there are enough votes to kill a cap at a low point like $45 million, this league is doomed in its present format and needs to split up. It's as simple as that.
gresch-

i help mod a message board with a sizeable rangers fan contingent, many season ticket holders and/or core fans. they all recognize the problem, and understand the need for a solution along the lines i described above, but i can't tell you how many are fed up with the small market hawks. the NHL has already lost many of these loyal fans, and the general consensus is that if the small-marketeers successfully implement their draconian cap, they're through with the league...and that includes me.

i'll say this again, we refuse to have this league run by the small market clubs.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
nedved93 said:
gresch-

i help mod a message board with a sizeable rangers fan contingent, many season ticket holders and/or core fans. they all recognize the problem, and understand the need for a solution along the lines i described above, but i can't tell you how many are fed up with the small market hawks. the NHL has already lost many of these loyal fans, and the general consensus is that if the small-marketeers successfully implement their draconian cap, they're through with the league...and that includes me.

i'll say this again, we refuse to have this league run by the small market clubs.

Maybe the big teams should just break away. I supported the general notion of a salary cap thinking it would be good for competition and more fair ... and that it would stop the Cable Guy from just buying players with no chemistry.

However that was all with the understanding that practically every owner in the league would take a cap of $45M in a heartbeat. That seems not to be the case, which is very surprising.

The Nashvilles and Columbuses really need to shut their traps at this point and be happy they have a cap at all. They're totally irrelevant to the league.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
hockeymistress said:

Saskin's quote to TSN:

H.

Wait til he see's the 32 million hard cap with linkage !!!!! He'll see it around September 1st. :lol :lol :lol I'll be laughing my A** off at this little puke and his rhetoric !!!

Last edited:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Greschner4 said:
Maybe the big teams should just break away. I supported the general notion of a salary cap thinking it would be good for competition and more fair ... and that it would stop the Cable Guy from just buying players with no chemistry.

However that was all with the understanding that practically every owner in the league would take a cap of $45M in a heartbeat. That seems not to be the case, which is very surprising.

The Nashvilles and Columbuses really need to shut their traps at this point and be happy they have a cap at all. They're totally irrelevant to the league.

I don't this it's fair to say Nasvhille or Columbus are irrelevant. However, I agree with the rest of your post.

The big market teams have to decide if they are willing to accept smaller markets insisting on cost certainty and a cap they can satisfy.

The small market teams stay the course as they did today no matter the anger on either of the other sides.

The NHLPA must continue to refuse everything until the league crashes in on itself.

Two new leagues will no doubt be rivals for certain players and markets. However, just as sure as I am that a big market NHL would/could flourish, I am equally convinced that a league of quality small markets could sustain themselves.

I don't see this as a ridiculous idea, in fact it seems to me this is a logical solution. As for the Stanley Cup, maybe neither league gets it and it retires to the HOF.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Greschner4 said:

agreed. one of the reasons i supported a hybrid system was under the assumption that it would bring discipline back to the garden.

the notion that clubs that are entirely IRRELEVANT to the fortunes of the NHL yet get to chart its future is sickening...

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
You're non-traditional markets may be unimportant now, but those are the teams with some of the best young talent in the league. Some of the most successful teams in the league over the next decade will be those in question, and as a result I do feel they are important to the overall health of the league.

As for the cap number of $45 million, that is certainly much higher than GB first said he was going after that many months ago ($31); the entire idea behind the lockout was to get a cap number that would allow all 30 teams to survive and remain "relatively" equal. There will always be spending differences; your Rangers/Wings/Flyers teams will always be in "salary cap trouble" whereas your smaller markets might have $10 million in room. The idea behind this lockout was to ensure that fact; with a cap at $45 million, I honestly don't think the small market teams could be within striking distance and might fall 15-20 million behind.

That is the major problem here. We want a cap, but we can't have it so big that it doesn't have that great of an effect. There can't be a $20 million salary difference between teams, otherwise this entire lockout is all for naught. It would be very similar to what we have witnessed over the past few years.

I don't think the small-market teams should dominant the league. No individual teams should for that matter. This is a complete league filled with 30 teams. For the sport to grow, it is essential that the league maintains its 30 teams and (eventually) add more. That's the only way more kids will play the game; that is the only way more fans are turned into followers.

While I really want to see hockey, I can definitely see why the $45M won't fly. I think we will end up just around $40M and that extra five million is enormous IMO.

Of course, just my opinion. Take it for what you will.

PredsFan77*

nedved93 said:
gresch-

then you can go start your own league where the Bobby Holik's can get their fair share of money.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Thornton97 said:
You're non-traditional markets may be unimportant now, but those are the teams with some of the best young talent in the league. Some of the most successful teams in the league over the next decade will be those in question, and as a result I do feel they are important to the overall health of the league.

As for the cap number of $45 million, that is certainly much higher than GB first said he was going after that many months ago ($31); the entire idea behind the lockout was to get a cap number that would allow all 30 teams to survive and remain "relatively" equal. There will always be spending differences; your Rangers/Wings/Flyers teams will always be in "salary cap trouble" whereas your smaller markets might have $10 million in room. The idea behind this lockout was to ensure that fact; with a cap at $45 million, I honestly don't think the small market teams could be within striking distance and might fall 15-20 million behind.

That is the major problem here. We want a cap, but we can't have it so big that it doesn't have that great of an effect. There can't be a $20 million salary difference between teams, otherwise this entire lockout is all for naught. It would be very similar to what we have witnessed over the past few years.

I don't think the small-market teams should dominant the league. No individual teams should for that matter. This is a complete league filled with 30 teams. For the sport to grow, it is essential that the league maintains its 30 teams and (eventually) add more. That's the only way more kids will play the game; that is the only way more fans are turned into followers.

While I really want to see hockey, I can definitely see why the $45M won't fly. I think we will end up just around $40M and that extra five million is enormous IMO.

Of course, just my opinion. Take it for what you will.
you go from a differential of $56 million to, AT MOST, $20 million along with a 24% rollback, ELS reforms, sub-100% qualifiers, two-way/final offer arbitration and that's STILL not enough for the small-market teams!!??

i'm sorry, but if that's the case then perhaps such teams aren't in markets than can adequately support of an NHL franchise.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
PredsFan77 said:
then you can go start your own league where the Bobby Holik's can get their fair share of money.
why? don't you understand, the large market teams ARE the NHL. yes, its a terrible thing to say, but its reality!

we're all for creating a fair system, but if $45 million along with rollback and reform of system inflators is too much, then get out or move to a market than can support such a payroll.

OilerNut*

All these big market team fans who want the smaller teams to just leave the NHL. Who is going to watch a 6-8 team league? I sure as hell won't cheer for the Leafs. In the end with a smaller league, there will be less revenue for the big market teams.

A Good Flying Bird*

Greschner4 said:

Exactly.
We'll go Swedish style.
The elite league, with the Detroits, Torontos and Colorados of the world.
And the cities that want to pretend they are major league cities, like Nashville, Edmonton, Carolina, etc

A Good Flying Bird*

OilerNut said:
All these big market team fans who want the smaller teams to just leave the NHL. Who is going to watch a 6-8 team league? I sure as hell won't cheer for the Leafs. In the end with a smaller league, there will be less revenue for the big market teams.

Fox Sports airs just about every Red WIng game.
What do I care?

You small market whiners want to pull down the big markets.
The big market guys were willing to a luxury tax, and even some sort of salary cap.

But now that I've read the garbage posted by some of you guys, I've given up on you.

You live in a minor league town.
Deal with minor league hockey.

Let the real cities have real hockey.

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Fox Sports airs just about every Red WIng game.
What do I care?

You small market whiners want to pull down the big markets.
The big market guys were willing to a luxury tax, and even some sort of salary cap.

But now that I've read the garbage posted by some of you guys, I've given up on you.

You live in a minor league town.
Deal with minor league hockey.

Let the real cities have real hockey.
amen.

i couldn't have said it any better.

OilerNut*

I guess you guys don't have any confidence in your scouting skills or coaching skills to want to be able to just try and buy a team.
So here is a big F*CK YOU to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->