Fan 590 Reports NHLPA on Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Still a little bit of optimism, but it seems to me that if anything happens it will be an NHLPA capitulation.

What a joke this process is.

BTW, NHL.com has said the NHL will issue a statement; this has been up for an hour no, so perhaps they are holding off for some reason?

I am done speculating, but if this doesn't get done, how can the league ever save face?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Jobu said:
Still a little bit of optimism, but it seems to me that if anything happens it will be an NHLPA capitulation.

BTW, NHL.com has said the NHL will issue a statement; this has been up for an hour no, so perhaps they are holding off for some reason?

I am done speculating, but if this doesn't get done, how can the league ever save face?

The problem the NHLPA faces is that capitulating and accepting the owners final offer might be the best deal they can ever get during this lockout... :dunno:

Let's say that they had a deal (with the NHL officers) and that the deal was rejected by the owners on a vote. What can the players do next, they certainly can't think the majority of owners that rejected the "deal" will in the future accept anything else that's better (or close, if revenues drop). So what to do? At that point accepting $42.5M is their best move.

Vapour Trail

Jobu said:

I agree entirely... what a joke this process has become.

:cry:

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
That's probably just a sort of courtesy press conference at this point. I'd love to believe that there's a little something to it but honestly....my hopes have been dashed for the last time. I don't know what we as fans did to deserve this, but I'm almost done with this roller coaster ride.

PantherBlood6*

That fact of the matter is that we really have no idea what's going on at this point -- with all the propaganda these two sides spew to the media it's hard to take ANYTHING they say seriously.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Smail said:
The problem the NHLPA faces is that capitulating and accepting the owners final offer might be the best deal they can ever get during this lockout... :dunno:

Let's say that they had a deal (with the NHL officers) and that the deal was rejected by the owners on a vote. What can the players do next, they certainly can't think the majority of owners that rejected the "deal" will in the future accept anything else that's better (or close, if revenues drop). So what to do? At that point accepting $42.5M is their best move.

Frankly, I don't see how there is a better deal out there for the players at all, and I have no idea how the NHLPA can sell the membership that such a deal is out there. That is the only reason why 1% of me holds out a bit of hope... the players may just have to accept $42.5m, maybe with a slight uptick over the term, and hope to get concessions elsewhere.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I finally feel closure on this, I know its over, and I know that the rollercoaster won't go up again...its stuck in a low point until the sun (summer) can power the tracks again.

Very lame imaging i know..

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Briannj1970 said:
my hopes have been dashed for the last time. I don't know what we as fans did to deserve this, but I'm almost done with this roller coaster ride.

same here.

I think I'm done with this...time to move on.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Crows said:
NHLPA will capitulate and accept the offer tonight or tommrow.

How the hell do you figure this? If they won't give in today why do you think that 24 hours and a nights sleep is going to change anything?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Crows said:
NHLPA will capitulate and accept the offer tonight or tommrow.

I don't think so. I still think they're the ones holding this up.

The NHLPA are seeing the owners as desperate right now, and they're sticking to their guns. They keep going to these meetings, expecting the NHL to give in.

It also benefits them for things to be seen as close, which is why they leak it, then the NHL announces that things weren't very close.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Baradin said:
How the hell do you figure this? If they won't give in today why do you think that 24 hours and a nights sleep is going to change anything?

If there's enough pressure from the NHLPA members to get a deal done this weekend no matter what (as in accepting the final offer if they have to), then the NHLPA leadership is going to come back and capitulate.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Smail said:
If there's enough pressure from the NHLPA members to get a deal done this weekend no matter what (as in accepting the final offer if they have to), then the NHLPA leadership is going to come back and capitulate.

You honestly believe this to be the case? I'm sorry and mayhap I'm being overly pessemistic but I cannot see the players en-mass deciding to accept a position they have been against from the start. Hell we've all seen the reports that the players were suprised and somewhat perturbed that the Union officials decided to accept a cap.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
they were surprised about the cap because they had been told they were never going to accept it, and then when they did, they were left wondering "why'd we wait this long?!"

OilerNut*

Just accept the old CBA and get rid of Anaheim, Atlanta, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington. Thats what everyone seems to want. :madfire:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
OilerNut said:
Just accept the old CBA and get rid of Anaheim, Atlanta, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington.

I don't think it is such a bad idea. Honestly. It is patently unfair to expect the NHLPA to watch millions of dollars go to big market teams like New York and Toronto without a clear and precise template in terms of revenue sharing.

How on earth can reasonable people expect any other result?

PredsFan77*

McDonald19 said:
:handclap:

Exactly, pick on the teams that have been spending 20 million!

yes and let those teams giving Holik 9 million per keep killing hockey... :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad