Famous goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

What are some famous goals that have become popular/ legendary over the years?
Doesn't have to be the best looking or greatest goal but the one that maybe was a overtime goal or a stanley cup winning goal or a very important goal, etc.

I would go back to 1979 the famous Guy Lafleur goal from the wing with 1 minute left as the Bruins were called for too many men on the ice. Also Lambert's goal in overtime that same game.

Gretzky's goal vs. Calgary in overtime in the 80-s.. cant remember the year. It was a slapshot that beat Vernon.

Steve Yzerman's goal vs. the Blues or something in overtime 1996. I believe it was Stevy Y's first overtime goal in his career and that game was scoreless.

It's your turn now ;)

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
About as famous as it gets: May 10, 1970, Orr vs the Blues to win the Cup.

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
Mario Lemieux versus the North Stars when he split the D, destroyed the goalie, puts it in before crashing into the net.

Pavel Bure with the 'skate to stick' on a breakaway while on the Canucks.

Jagr dismantling Kim Johnsson so badly that he falls to the floor, then proceeds to score.

Roenick versus NYR, in New York when he ended up ontop of the net after schooling 3 or 4 people i believe.

Doug Weight on Edmonton skating sideways through the Dman, and pulls it to the forhand to score top shelf near post while skating backwards.

Kariya on the Ducks, bursting down the wing, slap shot inside the blueline far post in the playoffs during overtime.

Dany Heatley at the World Championships last year put one top corner via the backhand faster than I have ever seen been done.

And of course Doug Gilmour double overtime wrap around on Curtis Joseph in the playoffs.

o man, so many more.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yzerman over Casey in the 96 playoffs. (in Overtime, he puts a perfect slapshot over the shoulder of Casey and hops with his arms in the air around the net)

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
mario - bourque
bure - flames
courtnall - flames
gretzky's hat - leafs
henderson
orr
messier - devils
mario - gretzky canada cup
karyia - mario - gold medal
linden two goals - rangers 94

Roger's Pancreas*

I think everyone that listened to it remembers MAYDAY!!!!!!! One of the most memorable broadcasts in my opinion.

n00dles

Dec 13, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Forsbergs one-handed goal on a penalty shot in the Olympics.

The Belarus goal against Salo.

Larionov's goal in the third overtime of the Stanley Cup finals 2002, becoming the oldest player to score an overtime gamewinner.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
mr gib said:
linden two goals - rangers 94
I believe you mean the two goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Especially the one where he breaks in and uses his body to keep the defender at his backside as he shoots and scores.

A beauty!

(That truly was the pinnacle of his career. The NHL's Ironman got injured in subsequent seasons, was traded all over, and hasn't been the force he was ever again. He went from future HOF material to decent regular career after '94.)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I got a few from the 2002 Vancouver/Detroit series. They're memorable for me....

Stevie Y's OT goal vs Blues has been mentioned, but in 2002, he scored a goal in, I think game five just into the third period after the Canucks came back to to tie the score. It was the winning goal, and he did it despite a severly wounded knee. He fell as he did it, rolled over behind the net, then used his stick to prop himself back to his feet. Truly inspiring

Nik Lidstrom's hail Mary shot form center ice that completly fooled Cloutier was also memorable.

And Non-Wings related, Theo Fleury's game 5-6 OT goal vs Edmonton circa the 1990's where he fell to the ice, slid, and rolled over several times. Cool.
the early 90's

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
octopi said:
Stevie Y... in 2002, he scored a goal in, I think game five just into the third period after the Canucks came back to to tie the score. It was the winning goal, and he did it despite a severly wounded knee. He fell as he did it, rolled over behind the net, then used his stick to prop himself back to his feet. Truly inspiring
Even though it was against my Canucks, Yzerman's effort that night brought a tear to my eye... Okay, I admit it. I blubbered like a baby. I really did.

MacDaddy TLC*

Bill Barilko scores on Gerry McNeil in overtime. April 21, 1951 Maple Leaf Gardens. Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final. Leafs defeat the Canadiens 4 games to 1 claiming their 4th cup in 5 years.

Better than Orr's goal because Barilko had to work for it, not vs some pylon. He stepped around Rocket Richard and was sent flying through the air as he was shooting the puck, not after it was in the net (did some pylon trip him)

Just moments before he scored, he stopped a Rocket Richard shot on the goal line.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Some memorable Flyers' goals:

Gary Dornhoefer's OT playoff goal against Minnesota in 1973 was immortalized into a statue outside the Spectrum. It propelled the Flyers into eventually what was their first ever playoff series win.

Bobby Clarke's Game 2 1974 OT game-winner in Boston Garden. It was the one win the Flyers needed in their house of horrors to win the 1974 Cup.

Jean Jacques Daigneault's bullet in Game 6 of the 1987 Cup against Edmonton; gave the Flyers a 3-2 lead and was the eventual game-winner. Phenomenal series.

Ron Hextall's two goals: regular season against Boston and 1989 playoffs against Washington.

Dave Poulin scoring on a breakaway despite a 5-on-3 man disadvantage in a 1985 Game 6 series clincher against Quebec.

KariyaIsGod*

What aobut Dick Duff with a broken leg that he taped back in place so he could remain in the game...

Now that's tough.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
RMU2 said:
Brett Hull's OT winner for the cup against the Sabers when his skate was in the crease
Yeah. The infamous non-goal.

What hurt the most is that the officiating was so strict that postseason, with several other "goals" disallowed, causing at least one other team to lose an earlier round series.

That was a lame way to end a disastrous playoffs of over-officiating. Not the NHL's finest moment.

Of course, I believe Hasek and the Sabres deserved better. Justice would've been fine.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
DrMoses said:
What aobut Dick Duff with a broken leg that he taped back in place so he could remain in the game...

Now that's tough.

Was that the 1959 OT goal against the Habs in the Finals?

I watched that game on the NHL network a few days ago and it was amazing. Very nice goal. Amazing hockey too, hard-hitting, no hooking, smooth skating, it was great to watch.

MacDaddy TLC*

DrMoses said:

Now that's tough.
1964 Bobby Baun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad