False Advertisement?

craigcaulks*

I want the cup, not the division title. We're a team built for the regular season, we need a playoff team.

Which teams would you say are built for the playoffs? Feel free to take the last few years into account.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Jason Garrison did not come as promised. He's average on defense and his skating is very average. His shot is hard, but half the time he's floating all around.

What a scam

he played with campbell is FLA, now we are seeing his old self. .. just average dmen... hopefully it's not another jeff finger..

This was what some people on the trade board warned us about whn he was signed. A few days ago a buddy of mine pointed out that Campbell did to Garrison what Markov did for Komersarik with the leafs. Garrison has a booming shot, but no defence or skating ability. I was worried this signing would go boom and now I am scared,

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This was what some people on the trade board warned us about whn he was signed. A few days ago a buddy of mine pointed out that Campbell did to Garrison what Markov did for Komersarik with the leafs. Garrison has a booming shot, but no defence or skating ability. I was worried this signing would go boom and now I am scared,

Garrison has played shutdown minutes for two seasons now, including a whole season with Mike Weaver. To claim that Garrison only has a booming shot is asinine considering he's primarily a shutdown D. Your buddy clearly just doesn't know anything about hockey.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Garrison is playing in a new system, this will take time for him to adjust. Also if noone has noticed only Ballard and Tanev look good right now. The former was doing full 45 minute bag skates and then scrimmages in Minnesota during the lockout, with the latter playing in the AHL.

Give it time people, when Kesler and to a lesser degree Booth come back it will be a big boon for the PP, PK and overall scoring. Great parity this year in the NHL.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Komisarek never put up more than 5 goals a season in the NHL. So what exactly did Markov do for him again?

Garrison's offensive numbers benefited from playing with Campbell. His defensive game should remain the same.

He was signed to play a solid defensive game alongside Edler, not to score goals.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

Fail.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Garrison has played shutdown minutes for two seasons now, including a whole season with Mike Weaver. To claim that Garrison only has a booming shot is asinine considering he's primarily a shutdown D. Your buddy clearly just doesn't know anything about hockey.

He played with campbell last year and that helped his stats and saying he played shutdown minutes two years ago is just silly when he played only about 30 games with weaver after the panthers kept trading his partners away. Panthers record, was not that great 2 years ago--they finished 28th overall--does not help your arguement. The western conference is a skating conference and he does not have the wheeels for this division, that much is obvious.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
garrison has been very strong 5 on 5 while against some pretty decent competition, he has as many shots on net as edler and as many shot attempts

he looks lost on the powerplay but uh, canucks powerplay right now. i think he has an excuse for that one

so mostly as advertised. we'll see how he adjusts to the system as time goes on for his pp but even if he can't, he's a pretty good top 4 regardless

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
He played fairly well today. Canuck fans will have to be patient as the whole team (not just Garrison) finds their game.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
He played with campbell last year and that helped his stats and saying he played shutdown minutes two years ago is just silly when he played only about 30 games with weaver after the panthers kept trading his partners away. Panthers record, was not that great 2 years ago--they finished 28th overall--does not help your arguement. The western conference is a skating conference and he does not have the wheeels for this division, that much is obvious.

Don't get the point you're trying to make here.

And Garrison is not a bad skater if that's your primary argument.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Has there ever been a Canuck that's played 4-5 full seasons without having a lynch mob thread made for them?

I can't remember if anyone was calling for Steamer to be traded - except as an Assistant coach - but that was only management to coach (Burke to Keenan).

Speaking of Keenan, it was only after he got here that anyone called for Trevor to be traded and that was what? after 10 years of service? He was wanted in return for Makarov once when Pat wanted to reunite the KLM line to get K going but that was just hyperbole from Calgary. And even Quebec wanted him in exchange for Joe Sakic but Quinn turned him down. The fans acknowledged that Pat was in a real dilemma about that one - Joe was a good return even then - but we as fans backed him.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
and saying he played shutdown minutes two years ago is just silly when he played only about 30 games with weaver after the panthers kept trading his partners away.

Garrison played 83% of his even strength ice time with Weaver that season, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Only five other defencemen had a more consistent partner that season.

Panthers record, was not that great 2 years ago--they finished 28th overall--does not help your arguement.

That's because the rest of the team was awful, not because Garrison was awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad