Failed/Rejected/Proposed ECHL franchise relocations and expansions

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sears Centre back in the brief Express days (my wife & I drove up for a game in Jan. 2012) was a drab, uncomfortable place to watch a hockey game. They could've had $1 concession come-ons every night, and still not had a loyal following in that arena atmosphere. Even a winning record & Steve Martinson behind the bench couldn't overcome the feelings of despair that surrounded that franchise.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Chicago Express were a one and done for several reasons. The major reason is the absolutely horrendous management of the Sears Center Arena. You simply cannot charge NHL prices for ECHL entertainment. $10 to park. $7 for a beer or a nasty slice of frozen pizza. $4.50 for a fountain RC cola. Yes, these were the prices 10 years ago! Ushers and arena staff that were clueless and rude. The entertainment value for the money just wasn't there. On dollar hot dog and beer nights, they were horribly understaffed. Lines were 30 people deep and served cold hot dogs. Unless you were a true hockey fan and were there for the hockey, it was an incredibly cold and expensive experience.

Marketing and branding of the team was heavily mis-targeted as well. You were putting a Chicago name in a Suburb 30 miles out of the city. This team was in an arena that was smack dab in the middle of heavily populated suburbs, 5 miles from the 3rd largest city in Illinois, the city of Elgin. This was a smack in the face to the locals. A huge marketing and branding mis-step. There was ZERO local flavor to latch on to. Team should have been named the Fox Valley Eagles or the Elgin Watchmen . The whole point of a suburban team is to have something away from the City of Chicago. A prime example of a complete success is the minor league baseball Kane Co Cougars.

The Sears Center has been a death bed for every Professional Team that has played there. The Chicago Hounds(UHL) , The Chicago Express(ECHL) Chicago Shamrox(MILL) Chicago Storm/Soul/Mustangs(indoor soccer), Chicago Slaughter( whatever indoor football league), Chicago Bliss(LFL). The Windy City Bulls, a NBA G league basketball team, is hanging by a thread.

Interesting points throughout.

I went to a single game at the arena and didn't have a problem with it, but do remember the parking prices seeming to be outrageous-so I found a free space somewhere (don't remember where). Saved money; froze my a$$ off:laugh:

I think that your point about the naming of the team is spot on. The Chicago branding was a foolish attempt to give a low minor league team major league standing-especially absurd given that the well-established Wolves were just down the highway a few exits. The branding, as you pointed out so well, should have focused on the immediate area and differentiated them from the more well known higher level franchises.

All that being said, it was probably going to be a failed mission for the Express regardless of how they approached the branding. They weren't going to get major media attention no matter what they did and higher level product for probably close to the same price was not far away in the Wolves.

I do recall the Express sending a group of 5 or so people to Cincinnati during the season prior to the Express' debut to see how the Cyclones organization marketed their team. IIRC, one of the Express people told me that they went to Toledo as well.

RC Cola. They've had the US Bank Arena (now Heritage Bank Center) forever. I thought that the arena was the only such blessed venue :D

Last edited:

goalie41

Feb 7, 2009
Interesting points throughout.

I went to a single game at the arena and didn't have a problem with it, but do remember the parking prices seeming to be outrageous-so I found a free space somewhere (don't remember where). Saved money; froze my a$$ off:laugh:

I think that your point about the naming of the team is spot on. The Chicago branding was a foolish attempt to give a low minor league team major league standing-especially absurd given that the well-established Wolves were just down the highway a few exits. The branding, as you pointed out so well, should have focused on the immediate area and differentiated them from the more well known higher level franchises.

All that being said, it was probably going to be a failed mission for the Express regardless of how they approached the branding. They weren't going to get major media attention no matter what they did and higher level product for probably close to the same price was not far away in the Wolves.

I do recall the Express sending a group of 5 or so people to Cincinnati during the season prior to the Express' debut to see how the Cyclones organization marketed their team. IIRC, one of the Express people told me that they went to Toledo as well.

RC Cola. They've had the US Bank Arena (now Heritage Bank Center) forever. I thought that the arena was the only such blessed venue :D
My wife and I were at the very last Express game, which was in Cincinnati.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
My wife and I were at the very last Express game, which was in Cincinnati.
I was as well. IIRC, the Express won that one and the Cyclones missed the playoffs by a point.

Wasn't the owner of the Express the same owner as the UHL Chicago Hounds which also played out of the Sears Center? IIRC, he won the Illinois lottery and bought those two hockey teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad