F Vladislav Kotkov - HK Gomel, Belarus (2018 undrafted; signed by SJS, released)

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Apparently a professor at the local university is refusing to teach him English, despite all teams in the Q using English. Can't seem to link to the article from my phone but it's up on the CBC website.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I love the response: "after-hockey life requires French".

Yes, because he'll stay in Quebec if he doesn't become NHLer.

Reactions: Lays

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Since when do profs teaching English to hockey players? Just hire any college kid to tutor him, get him duolingo, etc.

Euro's usually have English tutors, I'm not sure if they're professors, ideally the best intructors can speak your native tongue as well. Anyways, you won't here much English in Chicoutimi and unfortunately these kinds of attitudes exist in many regions of Quebec.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Euro's usually have English tutors, I'm not sure if they're professors, ideally the best intructors can speak your native tongue as well. Anyways, you won't here much English in Chicoutimi and unfortunately these kinds of attitudes exist in many regions of Quebec.

Not to hijack this thread, but being protective of one's culture and language is not such a bad thing. Kotkov will be fine. The CBC article is needlessly sensational (IMO).

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

It was only a teacher who wanted attention and went to the media with this story. They found Kotkov another teacher anyway. It is mostly a non story. All QMJHL teams work in english during practices and games because it's easier for everyone and it prepares players for the next step.

Reactions: SantaClaus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Apparently a professor at the local university is refusing to teach him English, despite all teams in the Q using English. Can't seem to link to the article from my phone but it's up on the CBC website.

Same old language BS that has been going on in Quebec for ever. This kind of crap is supported or at least propped up somewhat by the government with their language laws and language police governing the "french first" or "french only" policies. It touches everything.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Not to hijack this thread, but being protective of one's culture and language is not such a bad thing. Kotkov will be fine. The CBC article is needlessly sensational (IMO).

Conincidentally, I was just up in Chicoutimi this summer.

I had previously been very reluctant to travel to Quebec, however, over the last few years I've been there several times. I have found that while my French is terrible (and I try a bit at the start), there is almost always someone where I am that can speak English better than I can speak French.

Contrary to the common narrative, I found Quebecors to be very accommodating to English speaking folk (I think at least trying, however futile, to converse in French at the start is helpful). Compare that to what their experience would be in other parts of country. Cross the provincial border and head down to the GTA and just about no one would be able to help accommodate them in French.

Being in strongly French parts Quebec this summer (and Chicoutimi - beautiful!), I was really amazed at how much culture has been preserved over the years. There is an identity in Quebec that is lacking in anywhere else I have been to in Canada. I was left quite jealous of that when compared to the mishmash of nothing that is the GTA, where I live.

Anyway, some food for thought for other posters.

Oh, and personally I think the Professor is being absolutely ridiculous. Hockey is, for better or worse, a uni-lingual sport. And taking a stand using a 17 year old Russian kid that likely won't ever live in Quebec is just stupid.

Reactions: schnapshot

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Same old language BS that has been going on in Quebec for ever. This kind of crap is supported or at least propped up somewhat by the government with their language laws and language police governing the "french first" or "french only" policies. It touches everything.

Dumb post. See OSA for some enlightenment.

Preserving your culture and language doesn't mean you can't be open to others.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dumb post. See OSA for some enlightenment.

Preserving your culture and language doesn't mean you can't be open to others.

What does OSA's post have to do with it. I grew up in Quebec , lived in Quebec as a young adult and visit it often still. I have no issues with Quebecers, the people at all. I love Quebec. I am not a fan of the language laws. And although you can find a lot of openness , its definitely not 100%. It looks like you need to enlighten yourself before you start telling people their posts are dumb. ... Sounds like you could use some openness.

Reactions: SantaClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad