F Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit, SM-Liiga (2012, 18th overall, Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
iReZUtYo5GqJP.gif

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Larionov came to the NHL when he was past his prime.
With respect, you are delusional.
Btw, how many times have you seen TT play? Its shocking to me , with TT's apparent upside, he wasnt picked #1 overall.

You're right - Larionov came to the NHL toward the end of his prime - so I didn't see him in his prime. My assumption is Scotty Bowman was comparing TT to the Larionov that played for his Detroit team - the Larionov that was past his prime. His skating, puck handling, vision and playmaking were still pretty good though and I'm guessing that is what reminds Bowman of Larionov when he watches TT. Will TT be able to play the rougher NHL style on the smaller ice surface like Larionov was able to do - that's the unanswered question. But TT has the skills to do it - we just don't know if he has the heart and his body can take the physicality.

How many times have I seen TT play - only a handful of games - none of them live. But it's easy to see how good his skating and hands are and how he sees the ice so well to be able to make elite level passes.

Why wasn't he picked #1 - because he's a smallish Euro player, not to mention there were some other pretty good players.

Was I being over the top - absolutely. I'm very excited about the potential of TT and I think if he maximizes it - he can be better than Larionov. But even then - there's no guarantee he has the longevity that Larionov had.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Does anyone recall why he was cut from WJC in his draft year? IIRC, he ended up being the rookie of the year from SM-Liiga that year (which makes me think he must have played well). Was he injured, had a bad tryout, just wasn't good enough in a general sense?

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Does anyone recall why he was cut from WJC in his draft year? IIRC, he ended up being the rookie of the year from SM-Liiga that year (which makes me think he must have played well). Was he injured, had a bad tryout, just wasn't good enough in a general sense?
He really started playing in SM-liiga just before WJC. At that time Teemu Pulkkinen, Markus Granlund, Joonas Donskoi and Joel Armia looked better alternatives for first two lines since all of those had already looked pretty good in SM-liiga, when Teräväinen was still relatively unproven against men. And I think that the coach didn't think that Teuvo was that good for third or fourth line. I would have picked Teräväinen to the team already at that time but it still wasn't that surprising that he didn't make it to the team.

If I remember correctly Teräväinen did play some really good games in SM-liiga during the WJC so if the WJC would have been month later, he probably would have played in WJC.

bookjones

Aug 15, 2010
He really started playing in SM-liiga just before WJC. At that time Teemu Pulkkinen, Markus Granlund, Joonas Donskoi and Joel Armia looked better alternatives for first two lines since all of those had already looked pretty good in SM-liiga, when Teräväinen was still relatively unproven against men. And I think that the coach didn't think that Teuvo was that good for third or fourth line. I would have picked Teräväinen to the team already at that time but it still wasn't that surprising that he didn't make it to the team.

If I remember correctly Teräväinen did play some really good games in SM-liiga during the WJC so if the WJC would have been month later, he probably would have played in WJC.

Also don't forget that while he might not have seen much U20 WJC action 2011-12 he was playing U18 for Team Finland that season (WJC U18 + other tournaments) and was invaluable for them with a 2 PPG pace overall. I never gave much thought about him only playing 2 WJC U20 games because that season he was only 16 yo turning 17 yo. I've seen most of those WJC U18 games online and he was something else---good times!

2w6ghex.png

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013

He was the last player to be cut. and Teuvo was always a bit of quick riser. he wasnt in any draft boards to go first rounder at start of draft year but at the draft day was tsn ranked 7. that was one of the reasons maybe he dropped because he wasnt spotted earlier on. we had Mi.Granlund, Donskoi, Miro aaltonen go first 3 centers in Alberta and even barkov had to play wing. and generally that particular finland WJC is considered best of all time even maybe atleast in 10-15 years. Id like to think having Teräväinen center 2nd line instead of Donskoi we might have won gold:sarcasm:

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
He was the last player to be cut. and Teuvo was always a bit of quick riser. he wasnt in any draft boards to go first rounder at start of draft year but at the draft day was tsn ranked 7. that was one of the reasons maybe he dropped because he wasnt spotted earlier on. we had Mi.Granlund, Donskoi, Miro aaltonen go first 3 centers in Alberta and even barkov had to play wing. and generally that particular finland WJC is considered best of all time even maybe atleast in 10-15 years. Id like to think having Teräväinen center 2nd line instead of Donskoi we might have won gold:sarcasm:

Donskoi isn't a center, Salomäki centered the second line with Donskoi and Armia on his wings. Barkov was centering the third line between Miro Aaltonen and Alexander Ruuttu. I recall people mainly being pissed at Aaltonen making the team over Teräväinen, but he ended up having a pretty good tournament. Either way, Teräväinen probably would've played on his place as a third line winger, had he made the team.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Larionov came to the NHL when he was past his prime.
With respect, you are delusional.
Btw, how many times have you seen TT play? Its shocking to me , with TT's apparent upside, he wasnt picked #1 overall.

I remember hearing that Trevor Timmins had him 2nd on his list and that he was actually amazed, he felt that low...

That kid is special :yo::yo::yo:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Patrick Kane has taken him under his wing. Teaching him many things. It would be cool to know why it is so important to Kane to help Teravainen and wanting him to be succesfull. According to my source Kane is like brother figure to Teuvo. Teuvo has stated several times even before the draft that Kane is his favourite player and he wants to play like him in the future. Maybe that is the reason? But Teuvo has very high upside. We have to remember that Teuvo was almost a 2013 draft eligible. Coach Q praises him, both bowmans praises him alot and his team mates praises him. Montreal would have picked Teuvo as 3rd overall if Galchenyuk had gone before. Too early to talk about steals but to get Teravainen calibre of talent at that point of the draft is insane. Rich is getting richer. As a Finn i'm just excited!!!

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Patrick Kane has taken him under his wing. Teaching him many things. It would be cool to know why it is so important to Kane to help Teravainen and wanting him to be succesfull. According to my source Kane is like brother figure to Teuvo. Teuvo has stated several times even before the draft that Kane is his favourite player and he wants to play like him in the future. Maybe that is the reason? But Teuvo has very high upside. We have to remember that Teuvo was almost a 2013 draft eligible. Coach Q praises him, both bowmans praises him alot and his team mates praises him. Montreal would have picked Teuvo as 3rd overall if Galchenyuk had gone before. Too early to talk about steals but to get Teravainen calibre of talent at that point of the draft is insane. Rich is getting richer. As a Finn i'm just excited!!!

Hopefully Teravainen doesn't take a lot of taxis in Finland.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Will Teuvo have same issues when coming over next year as Mi. Granlund? Or is he that much better skater that he can dodge the bullet?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
TT much better skater. i actully think granlund might be the worst modern era skater and physical player in nhl

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So, Teravainen is somehow suddenly "better" than Granlund??

No, Teravainen's BEEN better than Granlund for the last two years.... Grandlund just gets all the hype. And Teravainen's game is much better suited for the NHL mainly because he is very fast, a great skater and shifty.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
^ Teravainen is a very slick player, yes, but hes not been even nearly as productive as Granlund in SM-liga. I'm waiting him to take a leap this season pointwise and be in the top10 in the scoring. He should crack the WC roster as well next year. Hope he fares well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad