F Michael Hage - Chicago Steel, USHL (2024 Draft)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
True he's not at that level but he was also out for a long time. Probably some rust and trying to get integrated into a super deep line-up this late in the season.

The Steel are losing almost all of their forward group to the NCAA this fall (pending announced classes...I'm sure there may be a few guys who will be pushed back for another year in the USHL but the biggest guns will be gone for sure). Hage will probably have a chance next year to be the headliner.

Reactions: Dominance

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Watching the Steel, Hage's talent is obvious. He's got everything you could want. He's 6'1, good skater, good hands, good skill. He's been a primary puck carrying option and makes plays.

It'll be interesting to see how his season goes. It's pretty clear that the Steel aren't the super team this year that they've been in year's past. To my eye, Hage looks like the best player on the team by a decent margin. I think Hage is a definitive 1st round candidate at this point.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I continue to be impressed with Hage. He passes the eye test. Skates well and makes plays. You'd like to see the production be a little higher, but Chicago isn't a good team either.

He didn't crack Pronman's or EP's early lists. I feel pretty confident saying he's better than some of the players on those lists. We'll see how the rest of his season goes, but I think there's a good chance he goes in the 1st round when it's all said and done.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USAH has started to allow non-Americans to play in the All-American Prospects Game, which makes sense as it's essentially a USHL Draft Eligible game, and Hage is one of those selected.

These prospect games don't really matter but it's always a good move to improve the player quality and allow the other guys in the league to get the opportunity.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 23+25=48 points in 40 games.

Very good skating ability. Has decent puck-handling. Has some scoring touch with playmaking and shooting, but I wouldn’t call him a natural scorer. Gives good defensive effort. What I’m most unsure about is his hockey sense. I don’t think it’s that bad, but he plays the game a little out of control sometimes and doesn’t always make the most effective decisions. Combine that with good, not great, offense and I have questions what he amounts to. But I think a decently sized center who has some offense, defense, and skates very well is going to be a first round pick. He might not pan out, but time will tell.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I really like Hage.

Hoping the Leafs hang onto their 1st (unlikely) and take him with it.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Chicago lost to Green Bay today in overtime to lose the series. Unfortunate as a prospect observer, was really hoping to see Hage vs Boisvert head to head in a playoff series.

Hage scored a nice goal on the power play to tie it. Almost won the game in overtime too, made a nice move on a net drive and hit the crossbar.

Probably will play at the U18s now.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Is Dylan Strome a fair comp? I haven’t watched him a ton, but Hage seems to have a similar package in terms of size and skill. Both a bit soft for their size

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Is Dylan Strome a fair comp? I haven’t watched him a ton, but Hage seems to have a similar package in terms of size and skill. Both a bit soft for their size
Not a bad comp, but not as big and better skater than Strome. Nick Schmaltz is the best comp I could come up with. He's plays similar to Matt Duchene in how he attacks the net and challenges 1 on 1 but not as fast as Duchene was at his peak.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would be very happy if he was still up when Van's 1st rolls around. All around good center with + skating is definitely on the Flames' need list.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
At this point playing for the Steel and going to UM is kind of a tried and true path for top Ontario kids. That said, I do wonder if Hage would have even more buzz if he were in the OHL right now. He's clearly a first rounder but I think he’s got a very good chance to go in the top half of the round, maybe even tail end of the lottery, the way he ended the season stronger and stronger. The offensive upside is tantalizing here.

Reactions: Dominance and Torts

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
At this point playing for the Steel and going to UM is kind of a tried and true path for top Ontario kids. That said, I do wonder if Hage would have even more buzz if he were in the OHL right now. He's clearly a first rounder but I think he’s got a very good chance to go in the top half of the round, maybe even tail end of the lottery, the way he ended the season stronger and stronger. The offensive upside is tantalizing here.
He'd have more buzz if he accelerated into college a year early. Power and Fantilli were late birthdays so already playing in college in their draft year, and then Celebrini accelerated. That being said, he was out most of his last season with injury and in general, Hage isn't a 1st overall level talent so it wouldn't have been the wisest decision imo. I dunno about "buzz" necessarily, but I don't think playing in USHL vs. OHL will hurt his draft status. He will warrant a high draft position.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was not asked to join Canada's U18 team. That was certainly a choice. He's never been included in Canada's Program of Excellence, so I wonder if it will be tough sledding him to make a World Juniors team the next couple years.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He was not asked to join Canada's U18 team. That was certainly a choice. He's never been included in Canada's Program of Excellence, so I wonder if it will be tough sledding him to make a World Juniors team the next couple years.
Hockey Canada always has their guys and sticks to it. He definitely won't be handed a spot on any WJC team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad