F Martin Necas - HC Kometa Brno, CZE JRS (2017, 12th, CAR)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
This is a couple days old now, but still worth a read on Necas at the World Juniors:

“The chance to get drafted, it means too much, it’s the next step for me in my career,†Necas said through a team translator after the Czechs’ 5-0 loss to Canada in pre-tournament action Wednesday in Ottawa.

The World Juniors will add to an impressive resume for Necas.

Already playing pro hockey for HC Kometa Brno in the Czech Republic, the 6-foot, 175-pound forward leads all under-19 scorers in Extraliga. His 13 points (6 goals, 7 assists) in 29 games put him well ahead of older World Junior teammates like Kristian Reichel and Petr Kodytek.

Among the 19 under-18 players in the Czech league, Necas is the only with more than three points. He has already played at a higher points-per-game pace than David Kase, a 20-year-old selected in the fifth round in 2015 by the Philadelphia Flyers.

Czech teammate Filip Chlapik, who was selected in the second round, No. 48, by the Ottawa Senators in the same year, is helping guide Necas through the tournament with some strong advice.

“Just enjoy it…it’s his draft year. Don’t think about it,†said Chlapik, who signed his entry-level contract with the Senators on Wednesday. “He’s a really good player he doesn’t have to worry about the draft or how to play.

“Just be himself. If he’s going to be himself the right team will pick him.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/czech-forward-necas-hoping-for-strong-world-juniors-showing/

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Such a good player, I can see him falling a bit but to me he's easily a top 10 prospect, especially in a fairly weak draft.

He just makes things happen everytime he's on the ice.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Such a good player, I can see him falling a bit but to me he's easily a top 10 prospect, especially in a fairly weak draft.

He just makes things happen everytime he's on the ice.

Definitely top 10. Might have one of the highest ceilings from the forwad group of the draft.
He has been impressive at every level he has played and imo a top 3 forward on the Czech WJC team.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I was going into the WJC looking for guys like Pettersson and Tolvanen were top-5 material like I have heard (since I havent had the chance to see those 2 yet), and instead it has been Necas that looks like a top-5 player to me. He's been great for the Czechs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, helped him WJC? Will be drafted higher?
I'd say he kept his stock where it was entering the tournament which is between 5 and 10, maybe got himself a bit closer to 5. His big event will be the U-18 WJC if he performs like he did at Hlinka. The only draft eligible at the tournament who I think notably increased his stock is Nico Hischier (I don't think he passed Patrick yet, but he put distance between him and Vilardi/Liljegren).

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Finally a comprehensive highlight package on this guy.

He looks dynamic. Depending on where the Devils are drafting it'd be nice to have a fellow countryman for Zacha to bond with.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What i really like about him is his attention to detail. He reads the play really well, he's defensively responsible and he's very strong on faceoffs. Super smart.

Good skater and offensive tools aswell, can't see him not being a top 10 pick (personally hes in my top 5 right now).

He doesn't have Couturier's size but he reminds me of him. Very mature, defensively responsible and a smart player.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's having an awful U18 Five Nations tournament right now, a top 10 ranked player really should dominate a tournament like this and he hasn't even been a top 3 player on his team, really disappointed. He might drop far from his top 10 projections if he doesn't have a big U18 WC.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
He's having an awful U18 Five Nations tournament right now, a top 10 ranked player really should dominate a tournament like this and he hasn't even been a top 3 player on his team, really disappointed. He might drop far from his top 10 projections if he doesn't have a big U18 WC.

Good, hopefully he falls to the leafs..

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Looks like he has been loaned to a Czech2 league team (SK Horácká Slavia Třebíč).

http://hokej.cz/posila-pro-trebic-proti-slavii-ji-pomuze-martin-necas/5021616

Google translate is mostly useless with Czech so I'm not sure what other information is in the article.

Basically Trebic was 0:2 down in a playoff serie and one loss away from elimination. Necas was loaned for the 3rd game to help.
The game is over, Trebic lost 1:2 and Necas didn't register any point.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Basically Trebic was 0:2 down in a playoff serie and one loss away from elimination. Necas was loaned for the 3rd game to help.
The game is over, Trebic lost 1:2 and Necas didn't register any point.

Today is played 4th game. I expect he will return back to Brno after Trebic's loss. Play off he will play in Extraliga.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Comparable to Mikael Granlund?

It's delicate to find good comparisons for players in this stage of their development, a lot will change as they mature. Also the difference between Czech Extraliga and NHL is significant. Hertl was playing a very different game back in Prague. That said, I see some shades of Krejčí in Nečas.

Error

Mar 11, 2017
Necas played his first two playoff games in Extraliga against the Champions League finalists Sparta Prague - and scored in both matches.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Necas played his first two playoff games in Extraliga against the Champions League finalists Sparta Prague - and scored in both matches.

Important goals too, as both games were very close, twice ending 3:2 for his team (scored a tying goal in both games, when they were down 1:2 and 0:1).
I was at the first game and I was curious how he'd handle the playoff intensity. Looked pretty good there IMO.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Martin scored game winning goal in first extraliga semifinal match :yo: they won 2:0 (second goal in empty net).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
i am 99% sure he will be drafted ahead of Mittelstadt and Vilardi.

Kids a machine that doesn't quit. He is a European Bo Horvat but skinnier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->