LW/C Liam Kirk - Litvinov, Extraliga (2018, 189th, ARI released)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Finished the tournament with 7g-7a-14p in 5 games.

Most ever points at that level from an u-18. Previous best was Vilmos Gallo with 11 points in 5 games. Gallo ended up in the SHL a couple of years after.

They missed out on promotion with a 5-2 loss to Japan. Lot closer game than score suggests. Kirk was unlucky only to get 2 points. Made 2 unreal passing plays for what looked like close to empty nets but team-mates could not convert. Also denied with good shots twice.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where is he currently projected to get drafted?

It is tough to say tbh... I mean, the EIHL and Ligue Magnus are pretty similar level leagues objectively. Both ~ECHL level. Maybe even the edge to EIHL.

Texier went 2nd round but was at 0.5 PPG instead of 0.33 PPG. But it has to be considered that Texier was more physically developed, and really, really started to explode at the end of the season.

Kirk has had a growth spurt (6'2 now) and seems bigger everytime I watch him... but he in no-where near filled out and really cannot compete 1v1 physically vs a lot of men in the EIHL.

I imagine personally that someone takes him, but maybe middle rounds. It all depends on the end of his season though.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Love this kid, speed might be an issue though.

I agree but I also doubt he's ever worked with a proper skating coach before. I can only assume he has skinny little legs at the moment as well based on his entire frame being thin.

It should be interesting to see what he can do with proper guidance both on and off the ice.

Reactions: Castle8130

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I agree but I also doubt he's ever worked with a proper skating coach before. I can only assume he has skinny little legs at the moment as well based on his entire frame being thin.

It should be interesting to see what he can do with proper guidance both on and off the ice.
To me he looks like he's got the whole offensive package; shot, hands, vision, and awareness. And yeah I doubt he has a good skating coach. He reminds me of a little slower Dylan Strome with a better shot.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Liam Kirk???? Just found out that he existed,highlights are there,the stats are there...gotta say; i like him.

He doesn't lack confidence, i think he has a good and healthy way of thinking about his future career.

When asked if he truly believes he can play in the NHL someday, Kirk doesn’t mince words. “Yeah, I think so. I don’t see why not,” Kirk told thn.com in a telephone interview. “I think I have the right attitude towards it. A lot of kids I know who are my age, if someone mentions the NHL they kind of laugh it off, but I’m not looking at it that way. If I can get better every day and keep improving myself…”

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't see anything especial. I mean, 1st English league is like Belarus or Kazakhstan championships. And with 7 points in 29 games he doesn't impress me like at all.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I don't see anything especial. I mean, 1st English league is like Belarus or Kazakhstan championships. And with 7 points in 29 games he doesn't impress me like at all.

That's just not true at all. Edinburgh had a goaltender Pavel Shegalo who came from the Belarus league and really good numbers one year he was the worst starter in the EIHL this season and they got rid of him, Edinburgh filled their team with Russians including some that played in Kazakhstan and others in VHL, they're the worst team in the league by a long way. Ben O'Connor was also a star player in Kazakhstan and was named best Dman, he's an offensive D and there's 8 other D who have outscored him this season in EIHL.

These leagues are not as good as you think they are. The champions from Kazakhstan and Belarus beat Sheffield in the continental cup but that is just 1 game, and Sheffield got there by being the 3rd best team in EIHL, they're 5th in the table this year. Cardiff and Nottingham went to the Champions Hockey League and beat teams from NLA and Extraliga, Nottingham even won their group. The CHL clearly values the EIHL more than Kazakhstan if they invite the champion of EIHL while Kazakhstan get Continental Cup.

EIHL is comparable to France and they took Texier from there in the 2nd round, he had a slightly higher scoring rate than Kirk but Kirk's points totals are so low because the coach is an idiot and won't play 4 line hockey or promote him when there are injuries to foreign players, they just bring in another foreign player on short term contract because they can. Some games he doesn't even touch the ice, British coaches have this idea that if you put a British kid on the ice there will be a goal scored against you and it will be their fault.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's just not true at all. Edinburgh had a goaltender Pavel Shegalo who came from the Belarus league and really good numbers one year he was the worst starter in the EIHL this season and they got rid of him, Edinburgh filled their team with Russians including some that played in Kazakhstan and others in VHL, they're the worst team in the league by a long way. Ben O'Connor was also a star player in Kazakhstan and was named best Dman, he's an offensive D and there's 8 other D who have outscored him this season in EIHL.

These leagues are not as good as you think they are. The champions from Kazakhstan and Belarus beat Sheffield in the continental cup but that is just 1 game, and Sheffield got there by being the 3rd best team in EIHL, they're 5th in the table this year. Cardiff and Nottingham went to the Champions Hockey League and beat teams from NLA and Extraliga, Nottingham even won their group. The CHL clearly values the EIHL more than Kazakhstan if they invite the champion of EIHL while Kazakhstan get Continental Cup.

EIHL is comparable to France and they took Texier from there in the 2nd round, he had a slightly higher scoring rate than Kirk but Kirk's points totals are so low because the coach is an idiot and won't play 4 line hockey or promote him when there are injuries to foreign players, they just bring in another foreign player on short term contract because they can. Some games he doesn't even touch the ice, British coaches have this idea that if you put a British kid on the ice there will be a goal scored against you and it will be their fault.

Yep. EIHL is for me between the ECHL and Ligue Magnus in terms of World Hockey leagues...

Basically filled with ex 1st line ECHLers, solid AHLers, and even the odd ex-NHLer and European international or two (Jamtin, Vorobyev, Rosehill etc).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wait, you think Ligue Magnus is more competitive than the ECHL? :laugh:

No, of course not.

As I stated, the EIHL is BETWEEN the ECHL and Ligue Magnus in terms of level.

With ECHL the highest, but not far ahead of EIHL.

The top guys in the EIHL are as good or better, and the league is not far off the ECHL (and the top ~2-3 EIHL teams could compete with the ECHL's best most likely).

But there are always a few EIHL teams whose best players were ECHL middle sixers/very flawed ECHL players. And half the league has no depth. Also EIHL teams in general never seem to really 'splash the cash' in regards to defensemen... yeh, every team has a couple of good ones, but after the top ~4-5 teams the rests depth in Dmen is not great.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
No, of course not.

As I stated, the EIHL is BETWEEN the ECHL and Ligue Magnus in terms of level.

With ECHL the highest, but not far ahead of EIHL.

The top guys in the EIHL are as good or better, and the league is not far off the ECHL (and the top ~2-3 EIHL teams could compete with the ECHL's best most likely).

But there are always a few EIHL teams whose best players were ECHL middle sixers/very flawed ECHL players. And half the league has no depth. Also EIHL teams in general never seem to really 'splash the cash' in regards to defensemen... yeh, every team has a couple of good ones, but after the top ~4-5 teams the rests depth in Dmen is not great.
Ah, I thought you were insinuating the reverse order.

I'm not sure I'd give that much credit but basically, yeah. Kirk is exciting. I think he'll go, some team will take that chance for sure, but one of the later rounds probably.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

I don't understand how you can't see the raw talent. The odds of it turning into something "especial" are low but the potential is there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Got an assist today.

Pretty cool. He set up Cole Shudra for his first EIHL goal.

They grew up together and have played together since Kirk was ~12 and Shudra ~14, both on local teams and national youth teams.

(Cole Shudra's Dad is actually ex-Edmonton Oiler Ron Shudra...)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Scattered reports that Washington's head scout was in attendance at both Steelers games last weekend.

I hope that's not true simply because Kirk was playing garbage minutes against Guildford and then Edinburgh is a hot mess.

You would hope Thompson would put Kirk up the lineup and give him an actual chance to hang with the men rather than throwing him on a 4th line with a 19 year old that they're sometimes trying to turn into a D.

Looks like they signed another import to ensure Kirk stays on the 4th line.

Reactions: Appleyard

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I'm rooting for him. If England can get it's own star in Kirk or Brown the next year and drum up some interest in the sport it could be great for the growth of the game. The UK, France and Germany (which is more developed in hockey) are perfect demographics for hockey (wealthy high income sporting culture etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad