C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

shifty like a cat...

4 point night and assisted game winner with 13 seconds left. If he doesn't go 2nd whoever drafts him got a steal
Grant McCagg said he asked 5 scouts who works in the NHL if Catton was in their top 10 and they all said no. He is 10th in Mckenzie’s mid-ranking and 6th in Pronman’s.

There’s always a skilled player who drops a little, looks like this year it could be him. Teams will regret it if it happens.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Expect him to go late top 10 -right now-

He's gonna be a steal, he's playing an insane amount of minutes every night so what it does is 'inflate production' but it is also the driver for the 'red flags' that will push him down scout lists.

They'll say the motor isn't there or the compete is questionable.. but he's managing his energy the same way Nick Suzuki had to do at that level. We've seen that when he is played a normal amount of minutes, the compete and defensive commitment rises.

I think the U18s can boost his stock that way though, he won't play 30 minutes a night and he will show that when he's got the energy he will commit to those other areas of the game.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

but hey remember he's bad at using his teammates
The guy is unreal!

He's gonna be a steal, he's playing an insane amount of minutes every night so what it does is 'inflate production' but it is also the driver for the 'red flags' that will push him down scout lists.

They'll say the motor isn't there or the compete is questionable.. but he's managing his energy the same way Nick Suzuki had to do at that level. We've seen that when he is played a normal amount of minutes, the compete and defensive commitment rises.

I think the U18s can boost his stock that way though, he won't play 30 minutes a night and he will show that when he's got the energy he will commit to those other areas of the game.
The u18 will decide his fate. A strong dominant u18 like William Smith last year and he will trend up.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Catton screams Senators or Canadiens. But if the Penguins retain their pick, would be interested to see if Dubas drafts him
More likely he lands in the 9-16 range. Teams like Blues, Islanders, or Caps might grab him. Anyone in that range that needs some high end skill

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Catton screams Senators or Canadiens. But if the Penguins retain their pick, would be interested to see if Dubas drafts him
I think several teams may be looking at the positional strength of their prospect pool to determine what position to draft for but if Catton is there when the Penguins pick, I would 100% love for them to pick him up. I think he would complement Yager and this new crop very well.

I've been really back and forth between him and Eiserman but I've been leaning Catton lately. This under the assumption that the Penguins will pick at 10.

Reactions: wetcoast

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think several teams may be looking at the positional strength of their prospect pool to determine what position to draft for but if Catton is there when the Penguins pick, I would 100% love for them to pick him up. I think he would complement Yager and this new crop very well.

I've been really back and forth between him and Eiserman but I've been leaning Catton lately. This under the assumption that the Penguins will pick at 10.
I'd be surprised if Catton is around at 10. I think he is a top 5-6 player.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I’d bet a lot of money he isn’t there past 10.

In fact, I think he goes 2-6
Yea not sure what these people are talking about. Who's going in front of him? This draft isn't that good.

Unless teams fall in love with a defenseman or "the big centerman" in Lindstrom, I'm taking Catton #2 overall.

Reactions: viceroy and pgfan66

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Quite possible. His stock is rising fast.
Anywhere between 6th-12th is probably in play. I don't see anywhere outside of this site where people are discussing him as Top 5 just yet. Certainly not as high as 2nd as routinely gets thrown around here on this site. I'm not saying that can't change (these things tend to be "sticky" during a season and then might change a lot between the end of the various seasons and draft day), but just what I'm seeing from surveying the scene.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anywhere between 6th-12th is probably in play. I don't see anywhere outside of this site where people are discussing him as Top 5 just yet. Certainly not as high as 2nd as routinely gets thrown around here on this site. I'm not saying that can't change (these things tend to be "sticky" during a season and then might change a lot between the end of the various seasons and draft day), but just what I'm seeing from surveying the scene.
The consolidated list by EP has him at #6. I believe that might be skewed with a few wacky lists. One has him at #2 while Levshunov is at #20 so...I can't quite take that list serious.

I think it comes down to position as well for a couple teams. With BPA being equal, if a team is light on forwards, they may value him higher. If they are light on defense, they may opt for the dman like Saliyev or Luvshunov or even Buium. Some team might value size in which case, Lindstrom is your man.

After Celebrini, there's a solid collection of 5-6 guys that could go anywhere, maybe not like the 2-5 slots in the 2006 draft.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Weird, I don't see any surface issue to criticize his motor/compete. That kid absolutely pours himself out all game every time I watch him.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
NHL Insiders:

8kxzcw.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

If both guys are there at 10 then Pittsburg should be thank full and draft Catton as he would be a huge part of the rebuild there to learn under Crosby (if he stays).

Reactions: SEALBound

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad