F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
McDavid was born January 13, 1997 and scored 66 points in 2012-13 when he was 15-16.

McKenna was born December 20, 2007 and scored 97 points in 2023-24 when he was 15-16.

At the U18 WJC McDavid scored 14 points and McKenna 20 points.

McKenna was 24 days older than McDavid.
You've convinced me. :) It would be wonderful if he was McDavid2.0.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
McDavid was born January 13, 1997 and scored 66 points in 2012-13 when he was 15-16.

McKenna was born December 20, 2007 and scored 97 points in 2023-24 when he was 15-16.

Continue to dig your grave, you have no idea what you’re talking about LMAOO

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

2012-13 was McDavid's Exceptional Status season, his 15 year old season.

2023-24 was McKenna's 16 year old season, he didn't get Exceptional Status to play full time in his 15 year old season.

Pretty simple

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Like I said, McKenna was 24 days older. Make of that what you will.
Not how hockey year and birth year works. You play with your birth year unless, like McDavid, you play up a year. McKenna is essentially the youngest in his hockey year and school year (Jan 1-Dec 31), meaning his dominance coming up in minor hockey extremely impressive. McDavid was essentially the oldest in his hockey year/school year, so he had that natural advantage, so because he was already dominant, playing up was more beneficial in order to challenge him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not how hockey year and birth year works. You play with your birth year unless, like McDavid, you play up a year. McKenna is essentially the youngest in his hockey year and school year (Jan 1-Dec 31), meaning his dominance coming up in minor hockey extremely impressive. McDavid was essentially the oldest in his hockey year/school year, so he had that natural advantage, so because he was already dominant, playing up was more beneficial in order to challenge him.
Still I don't really see why one should compare them 343 days apart when one can compare 24 days apart.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
That's an amazing argument you present. You have me convinced!
It’s not an argument. It’s facts. I’m sorry you’re not capable of realizing this.

Gavin McKenna didn’t get exceptional status to play as a 15 year old. This is McKenna’s 16 year old season. In McDavid’s 16 year old season he had 99 points, in Bedard’s 16 year old season he had 100 points. McKenna is close to being on par with those performances, but he isn’t crushing them like that post is making it seem.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Because they didn't start full time major junior the same hockey year when you compare them. McKenna had a small sample 15 year old season that the Dub allows their 15 year olds to play in.
By actual age:

McKenna 0+6=6 (8 gp, 0.75 ppg)
McDavid none

McKenna 15+29=44 (34 gp, 1.29 ppg)
McDavid 19+26=45 (38 gp, 1.18 ppg)

McKenna 23+42=65 (35 gp, 1.86 ppg)
McDavid 21+58=79 (59 gp, 1.34 ppg)

McKenna still has plenty of 16yo games left until December.

Reactions: Matsun

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
While everyone is discussing the comparisons what I'm most curious is if Medicine Hat will try him at center. Personally I don't know how translatable his style is to C, but if the kid has such good hands, vision, and IQ I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a shot considering next year is his draft minus 1.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
While everyone is discussing the comparisons what I'm most curious is if Medicine Hat will try him at center. Personally I don't know how translatable his style is to C, but if the kid has such good hands, vision, and IQ I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a shot considering next year is his draft minus 1.
Why would they? no sense in changing his playing position, he has always been a winger.
it would be as dumb as forcing a lefty kid become righty, it happens though, parents do that to kids

Doing shit like that because supposedly center position is more desirable? no thank you.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It’s not an argument. It’s facts. I’m sorry you’re not capable of realizing this.

Gavin McKenna didn’t get exceptional status to play as a 15 year old. This is McKenna’s 16 year old season. In McDavid’s 16 year old season he had 99 points, in Bedard’s 16 year old season he had 100 points. McKenna is close to being on par with those performances, but he isn’t crushing them like that post is making it seem.

I am capable of understanding that.

I was just commenting on your attack on the poster as opposed to what you just wrote now - which is correct.

There are some caviates. McKenna didn't apply for exceptional status. Also he is close to a year younger than McDavid within their development years.

But you are technically correct.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am capable of understanding that.

I was just commenting on your attack on the poster as opposed to what you just wrote now - which is correct.

There are some caviates. McKenna didn't apply for exceptional status. Also he is close to a year younger than McDavid within their development years.

But you are technically correct.
Silky Johnson commenting on someone's attack on a poster? Look at your tag line.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

It really depends on the makeup of the team. Wiesblatt has aged out, who was McKenna's main centre. If they put Lindstrom and McKenna together, it doesn't make sense to make Gavin a centre, because Lindstrom is much stronger there.

They've also tried basha at centre, and actually he's been pretty good there. So that's two of the top centers on the team.

I think McKenna has only played centre in his youth days and maybe the Canada Winter games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad