F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First time I saw him play, he looked like a player. He's one of those rare types when you can spot it almost instantaneously and say I know this player Zadina, is going to be a terrific NHL player.

Reactions: 57special

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
So he had 82 points in 57 games, including 44 goals. Curious to see what he has to show in the play-offs. The most promising Czech prospect since Pastrňák in my book.

Not trying to be snarky, but it's interesting to compare his hype (or lack thereof) here on hfboards to Svechnikov. Zadina has one thread with 278 posts so far, which makes roughly 3.4 posts per point (278/82). Svechnikov had 72 points and two threads that combine for 1492 posts, i.e. roughly about 20.7 posts per point. Even if you take into account that Svechnikov played in fewer games and extrapolate his point production to 57 games, it still makes about 16 posts per point, more than 5 times as many as in Zadina's thread.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Not trying to be snarky, but it's interesting to compare his hype (or lack thereof) here on hfboards to Svechnikov. Zadina has one thread with 278 posts so far, which makes roughly 3.4 posts per point (278/82). Svechnikov had 72 points and two threads that combine for 1492 posts, i.e. roughly about 20.7 posts per point. Even if you take into account that Svechnikov played in fewer games and extrapolate his point production to 57 games, it still makes about 16 posts per point, more than 5 times as many as in Zadina's thread.
tenor.gif

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Just curious, who do you think would make a better winger for McDavid, Zadina or Svechnikov?
Zadina, plays with more energy. Svech is a guy that drives his own line much more than Zadina but likes to slow it down (makes him look lazy, Evgeni Malkin comparisons are correct) McDavid and Svech’s play wouldn’t mesh well but I see Svech and Drai working well together. I like Svech much more than Zadina though

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
for me he is a Marian Hossa 2.0
Maybe more like Marian Hossa "Basic Edition" or "Essentials" or "Free Trial Version" or Marian Hossa "Jr." - I like Zadina a lot. I have him in 3rd place in this draft by a very wide margin, with nobody nipping at his heels in my mind. But if he was a "2.0" version of Marian Hossa, he'd be going first overall and Dahlin would be an afterthought. 3x Stanley Cup champ, >500g, >1000pt, elite two-way play.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Maybe more like Marian Hossa "Basic Edition" or "Essentials" or "Free Trial Version" or Marian Hossa "Jr." - I like Zadina a lot. I have him in 3rd place in this draft by a very wide margin, with nobody nipping at his heels in my mind. But if he was a "2.0" version of Marian Hossa, he'd be going first overall and Dahlin would be an afterthought.

Marian Hossa didn't go 1st overall. Wasn't even top 10.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
So... I just watched probably 20 minutes of Zadina highlights including a ton of his goals. One thing that caught me off guard... I didn’t see him score once on a legit one timer. Yes there’s those snappers around the net, but not once did he park on the right circle and score with a one timer that he had to do any sort of wind up for.

If that element is not in his game that’s really concerning to me despite his absolutely lethal wrister. Any one timer he took he looked really off balance and clumsy including that wide open net he missed in the WJC against Canada.

Correct me if I’m wrong of course, please, but it’s something that caught my eye.

Stopping pucks to load up and take accurate wristers is all well and good in juniors, but I want a winger who's drafted in the top 3 to be able to accurately one time the puck through goalies.

Reactions: Aerrol

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
So... I just watched probably 20 minutes of Zadina highlights including a ton of his goals. One thing that caught me off guard... I didn’t see him score once on a legit one timer. Yes there’s those snappers around the net, but not once did he park on the right circle and score with a one timer that he had to do any sort of wind up for.

If that element is not in his game that’s really concerning to me despite his absolutely lethal wrister. Any one timer he took he looked really off balance and clumsy including that wide open net he missed in the WJC against Canada.

Correct me if I’m wrong of course, please, but it’s something that caught my eye.

Stopping pucks to load up and take accurate wristers is all well and good in juniors, but I want a winger who's drafted in the top 3 to be able to accurately one time the puck through goalies.
Ok I'll bite. Of course you are correct in your analysis. Good take but I'm curious what you would do with that third pick. Trade it? Take one of the top dmen? Find the player with the best one timer in the draft? or BPA if not Zadina?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Theres several scorers that do not do one timers. Kessel, Matthews, not sure about Kucherov because I don't watch him that much but I don't have any recognition of him using one. As well as Tarasenko.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Ok I'll bite. Of course you are correct in your analysis. Good take but I'm curious what you would do with that third pick. Trade it? Take one of the top dmen? Find the player with the best one timer in the draft? or BPA if not Zadina?

Theres several scorers that do not do one timers. Kessel, Matthews, not sure about Kucherov because I don't watch him that much but I don't have any recognition of him using one. As well as Tarasenko.

Fair enough. I was just making an observation about his game. Us Canucks fans are salivating over the prospect of a PP with Boeser on the left, Pettersson on the right, and Dahlin playing catch with either of them as they can both rifle one timers so I suppose I've just been blessed in seeing that. Hell, come to think of it I don't think Markus Naslund ever took a one timer in his life. I wouldn't be completely opposed the idea of moving down ever so slightly if we got #3, but of course that depends on where the balls land, what teams are in those 4/5/6/7 positions, and of course the package coming back.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Naslund only started taking slap shots late in his career let alone one timers which he never did.

Did Sakic take one timers ? Forsberg? Horvat doesn't. There's lots of elite and hof players that never took one timers or rarely did.

I think Brett hull scored 90 percent of his goals from one timers. That's why I love boeser .. he has an elite wrister AND one timer.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

You obviously haven't seen the Kucherov hatrick gif of his 3 identical one timers, he is amazing with them.

I agree though I have not really ever seen Kessel use one.

Reactions: Aerrol

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
So it appears that Zadina can be as good as Hischier but with more goals and fewer assists. One thing that stands out is Zadina's higher 5x5 points/gp.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Add pacioretty to that list. He never one times it, and is top 5 in goals over the last few years.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Add pacioretty to that list. He never one times it, and is top 5 in goals over the last few years.

Pacioretty has one of the worst one timers I’ve ever seen.

But Max and Kessel score a lot off of the rush because they have great acceleration and speed. Does Zadina have that ability to turn a counter attack into a nice worsted goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad