F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
He holds the puck so well in the offensive zone, like a Wheeler in that sense. Very easy to see he's an elite talent. I have him neck and neck with Svechnikov (not worried about Svechnikovs production in the WJC b/c Bragin hardly played him).

He doesn't have a fearsome shot but knows where to put it and has decent hands. For an easy comparison, he reminds me of Voracek except better with the puck but less playmaking skills. Harder comparison is a top-line play driving winger who just makes the team better. I really like him as a prospect.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find he's very fast but what makes his speed more impressive is the fact he's also so strong on his feet.

In a way he reminds me of Kyle Connor, but in a way also reminds me of Matthew Tkachuk.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Correction, Blake Wheeler is the best comparison I can think of for him.

For Zadina? You guys realize Wheeler is a full 4 inches taller and plays a powerforward game? He drives the net constantly something I have yet to see from Zadina. Zadina is a great PP threat and likely has a much much better shot than Wheeler. That is not a great comparison in my mind.

As of now I still have Svehcnikov ahead. His blend of speed, IQ and shot is unrivaled in terms of forwards in this class IMO. But Zadina is not far behind, he just isn't as dynamic as Svechnikov. Though I think Zadina is a bit more polished in his two-way game.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
next kucherov, if flyers get lucky (again) and is at 2nd i hope they pick him, f*** svech

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Svechnikov is pretty clearly a better prospect IMO.

Clearly? Not at all, they're both very good prospects, they'll be fighting for #2 all year.

I'll quote you a quick summary of each of their season so far:

Several reasons, first one being sample size, he hasn't played too many games. Secondly he hasn't had a stable 3rd forward on his line, he's mainly playing with Lipanov and a rotation of wingers (mainly Chiodo/Luchuk) who are all pretty good players but nothing special.

Thirdly for being a superstar draft eligible forward he hasn't been getting a ton of ice time (i'd say he plays about ~3-4 minutes less per game than Zadina for example). That said, a lot of his production has been at ES and they're primary points (11 of his 15 goals are at 5v5, most of his assists are first passes), which is actually really impressive. I like seeing that in a prospect because that tells me there's a lot of room for growth in terms of production. His production atm isn't "artificial"/inflated at all, he's basically relying on himself right now.

(when asked about Svechnikov's lopsided production)

Zadina similarly plays mainly with Somppi and a rotation of Lavoie/Durandeau. Somppi is good but Lavoie and Durandeau are meh. 18 of Zadina's 25 goals are at ES, 13 of his 23 assists are at ES and 10 of those are first assists, which like Svechnikov are GREAT numbers, his production isn't artificial.

31 of his 48 points are at ES and 28 of those 31 points are primary points (goals/first assists), meaning he's carrying a lot of the offense himself. As mentioned Zadina is producing at that clip in his rookie season and he isn't getting sheltered at all, he's actually getting heavy minutes. Seeing him carry his teams offense while getting a lot of minutes is very promising, as a rookie he's arguably already the best forward in the Q (Abramov, Batherson and Barre-Boulet are up there with him but i'd still take Zadina over them).

(summary of Zadina)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Clearly? Not at all, they're both very good prospects, they'll be fighting for #2 all year.

(summary of Zadina)

Their production right now is pretty irrelevant. What you want to see in a top prospect is upside and tools, what will they look like 5 years from now? Svechnikov is a much less polished player at this point.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Their production right now is pretty irrelevant. What you want to see in a top prospect is upside and tools, what will they look like 5 years from now? Svechnikov is a much less polished player at this point.

goes without saying

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

(summary of Zadina)
NVMD

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Their production isn't irrelevant, as it is generally a very good measure of skill and, to some degree, hockey sense.

Doesn't mean one doesn't have to watch the players, as the eye test is by far the best way to evaluate players, but production is definiey a valuable metric.

Zadina is a 1999-born, Svechnikov is a 2000-born kid. It makes sense that Zadina would be more polished and his production would be better.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He had his best game as a Moosehead last night against a really good Islanders team. The fans gave him a huge standing ovation while a video played in his honour on the scoreboard. The Moosehead organization presented him along with the Moosehead trainer and Islanders equipment manager plaques for their performances at the WJC. Very classy.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Did he deserve a suspension?

QMJHL decided not to give him a suspension and . People around the league think he wasn't suspended because he would have missed the Top Prospects game this week.

It's the second time it happens this season.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
That play with the goalie was not suspension-worthy. Looked like the dman gave him a shove and Zadina tried to avoid it.

The dman did give him a shove but to bring him outside and Zadina went inside by himself. I don't think Zadina wanted to hit the goalie but I don't think he did enough to avoid the contact. He went inside despite the goalie clearly stoping the play.

He received a major and a game misconduct, it usually leads to a minimum of a one game suspension. Twice this year he got out of a suspension after receiving a game misconduct for a dangerous play. Clearly another example stars are treated differently. It's way easier to suspend a 3rd line grinder.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
When I watched at full speed Saturday I thought that was a dirty hit to the head. When I seen it in slow motion it looks more like an intent to injure. Should have been suspended in my eyes. No room in the game for that type of cheap shot. That wasn't necessary. He was coming off his best home game of the season Friday. With three forwards and a dman on the sidelines and another dman playing forward the result was quite bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad