F Bulat Shafigullin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL (2018, 82nd, LAK)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now has two points in sixteen games in the KHL according to EP.

Yeah, the KHL site says the same. This kid has some tools. Good size, can skate, nice hands. Can be a good late pick. His TOI is going up as well, btw. It's 5:46 now. And after his first 10 or so games it was like a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
2+3 in 11-4 win over Sputnik. Now 34 points (18+16) in 20 games. Better PPG, than Kucherov at the same age. 4+5 in 4 games since he returned to the MHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He actually kinda reminds me young Kucherov in those games I watched. He doesn't impress me with tenacity and gritness, even looks lazy sometimes, but somehow always gets in a position to score. And when he has a chance, he scores.

And he doesn't have Gusev by him, the entire Reaktor top6 is pretty young and imressive (over PPG pace), though.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
When someone produces so well in the MHL at this age (just turned 18) you have to pay attention. That's a tough league with some 20-year olds in it. And although Shafigullin is on a high scoring team, he is outproducing his older teammates.

And this year many Russian draft eligibles have not been all that good in the MHL. I have expected much more from Denisenko in particular (4 goals in 23 games) and he is on many top 30 lists.

But Shafigullin has the best PPG of anyone who has played at least 20 games. Igor Shvyrev has the same PPG (1.7) while playing in 10 games.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Really good numbers but not very knowledgeable on how he plays. I will say though, if Jett Woo is the best name I've seen all year for a prospect, this is a strong contender for worst.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Really good numbers but not very knowledgeable on how he plays. I will say though, if Jett Woo is the best name I've seen all year for a prospect, this is a strong contender for worst.

racist1.gif

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Shafigullin is Tatar (like Yakupov, for example, as far as I remember, they are even from the same city). And I don't think, his name is crazier, than Scheifele. Or Whynot.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When someone produces so well in the MHL at this age (just turned 18) you have to pay attention. That's a tough league with some 20-year olds in it. And although Shafigullin is on a high scoring team, he is outproducing his older teammates.

And this year many Russian draft eligibles have not been all that good in the MHL. I have expected much more from Denisenko in particular (4 goals in 23 games) and he is on many top 30 lists.

But Shafigullin has the best PPG of anyone who has played at least 20 games. Igor Shvyrev has the same PPG (1.7) while playing in 10 games.

Speaking of Shvyryov, he's one who was even more productive in his 18 yo season (70pts in 40games; 1.75ppg). Will be very curious to see what comes of him if he ever comes to NA.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Speaking of Shvyryov, he's one who was even more productive in his 18 yo season (70pts in 40games; 1.75ppg). Will be very curious to see what comes of him if he ever comes to NA.

For Shvyrev it was his D+1 year, though. He looks great in the MHL, but can't produce at the KHL level. He'll be 20 this year, and has only 1 goal in 30 games. Shafigullin has more points, not saying about Kravtsov, and they both are 1.5 years younger.

And Shvyrev's KHL TOI with 3:25 is even less, than Shafigullin's. Can't say, why.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For Shvyrev it was his D+1 year, though. He looks great in the MHL, but can't produce at the KHL level. He'll be 20 this year, and has only 1 goal in 30 games. Shafigullin has more points, not saying about Kravtsov, and they both are 1.5 years younger.

And Shvyrev's KHL TOI with 3:25 is even less, than Shafigullin's. Can't say, why.

True, but Igor also only turned 18 a month or so before the season started last year, is that really so different from Shafigullin who turned 18 a couple months into the season? Especially when he maintained this pace for twice as long as Shafigullin has (so far).

As for their KHL #s, Shvyry barely plays when he's not dominating the MHL. It's tough to produce when you get just a couple of shifts on the 4th line. He deserves a real look, but he isn't getting it. I don't expect him to ever come to NA, but getting major PT for the Eagles in their inaugural AHL season wouldn't be a bad step for him if Magnita aren't gunna start actually playing him.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
True, but Igor also only turned 18 a month or so before the season started last year, is that really so different from Shafigullin who turned 18 a couple months into the season? Especially when he maintained this pace for twice as long as Shafigullin has (so far).

As for their KHL #s, Shvyry barely plays when he's not dominating the MHL. It's tough to produce when you get just a couple of shifts on the 4th line. He deserves a real look, but he isn't getting it. I don't expect him to ever come to NA, but getting major PT for the Eagles in their inaugural AHL season wouldn't be a bad step for him if Magnita aren't gunna start actually playing him.

Svyrev couldn't make a WJC team as well. He's old enough for Bragin, has good size, but somehow didn't impress at all in all those U20 tournaments and friendlies. He had a lot of chances to produce at that level, but couldn't. It's a bad sign as well. Can mean, his IQ isn't good enough for intensive games. Or he has attitude problems. Or wrong mentality. Or anything else.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Svyrev couldn't make a WJC team as well. He's old enough for Bragin, has good size, but somehow didn't impress at all in all those U20 tournaments and friendlies. He had a lot of chances to produce at that level, but couldn't. It's a bad sign as well. Can mean, his IQ isn't good enough for intensive games. Or he has attitude problems. Or wrong mentality. Or anything else.

Yeah the WJC was weird cause he impressed from what I saw in the pre-tourney test matches and with his creativity & two way play it's unlikely to be hockey-IQ related. I think it was just a combo of too many of Bragin's favorite being ahead of him, Shvyry not having much NT-pedigree, and Bragin not being able to justify leaving a kid like Svechnikov off the roster completely...even if he refused to utilize him.

But as an avs fan, I know better than expending too much effort on trying to figure out NT politics when it comes to the WJC, or I'd still be griping about Makar getting 5 minutes a game whenever the canadians had any choice but to play their leading point getting dman :laugh:

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's again back to Neftekhimik, and not even playing, but preparing to the playoffs in the Soviet style training camp. To me, it'd be more helpful to him playing in the VHL or MHL right now, but of course Soviet/Russian system considers training camps >>> hockey practice.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017
Someone's preparing for the mock draft I see.

In all honesty though, any ideas on this guy? if he is still on the board in the 3rd which is my last pick till the 6th..I might just pick him up if I cant think of a better pick.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
In all honesty though, any ideas on this guy? if he is still on the board in the 3rd which is my last pick till the 6th..I might just pick him up if I cant think of a better pick.

Not sure to be honest.

The games I've watched he didn't stand out per say. Well positioned to score and opportunistic, but didn't stand out with his skill like Kravtsov, Denisenko or Iskhikov. Thought he was pretty lackadaisical without the puck as well.

His team though is a powerhouse offensively. But, so were the teams of some other Russians who ended up great.

Maybe as mid-round pick, if I have no one I'm particularly like, I pick him. His numbers are impressive enough to take a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->