Extinction of the striped hockey pants.

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Verbeek, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Verbeek

Verbeek Human see, human do.

I've always felt that having stripes on the teams hockey pants added an extra 'something' to the uniform... I don't understand why more and more teams move away from this.

Recently I've noticed that the Ducks no longer have their striped pants (i'm not a ducks fan, so this might have been more recent that just this year). I know they are chaing uniforms next season, so maybe thats why they arn't doing it this year, but thats only a thought, and who's to say if they will return.

Either I'm alone of the feeling that striped hockey pants just look way better.. or I don't know what. Is it because teams are getting cheaper? (As I assume striped pants are more expensive) Who knows.

Anyone else share this feeling?

2. MiamiScreamingEagles

MiamiScreamingEagles A Fistful of Dollars

I never really noticed the pants as you mentioned but when the issue of favorite uniforms arises, I think basic black helmets can be a bit boring and some of the best uniforms include helmets that are not black.

3. David Puddy

David Puddy Registered User

Home Page:
    Fashion is cyclical, even sports fashions. In ten or twenty years, a team will re-introduce them, and then ten other teams will adopt them the following year.

Twelve different teams have at least an alternate sweater with string-tied collars on them this season. There were not any with them a decade ago after four of the six teams had them in the late 1950's and early 1960's, and seven of 12 teams had them in 1967-68.

According to NHL Uniforms.com, the Ducks lost the stripe after their Western Conference Championship 2002-03 season.

4. Verbeek

I knew I started this thread before! And now with the jersey switch, quite a few teams have gone back incorporating this in their design.

That is almost the only good think about jersey overhaul.

5. MiamiScreamingEagles

MiamiScreamingEagles A Fistful of Dollars

How weird this is. My comment about the helmets was made about 18 months ago. In today's Boston Globe hockey column there is a paragraph about the modest nature of helmets in the NHL. Spooky...and you, too, have a comment about Erin Esurance. :ghost2::ghost2::ghost2::ghost2:

6. Verbeek

Evil twin?

7. CanadianJariKurriFan

CanadianJariKurriFan Registered User

Home Page:
    Stripes are on thing. The day NHL teams stopped using cooperalls was a sad, sad day. Only green cooperalls could bring respect to the whalers :P