Expensive salaries in the new CBA

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Sens4Cup, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sens4Cup

Sens4Cup Registered User

I have a few concerns, that I'm hopeful someone can clear up. In terms of maximum player contracts, if a player is making 20% of the max payroll can he then not be traded to a team which is under the max? Or would his salary automatically reflect the change, so if he went from 7 million on a 35 million dollar team, would his salary be cut to 6 million on a 30 million dollar team? Or would it be impossible to trade players making more than 20% of a smaller payroll team to that team?

In terms of guys like Iginla I think this clause has some significant consequences. If the Flames for example have a 30 million dollar payroll, that means they can't pay Iginla more than 6 million, though lots of teams are willing to pay that much for him. So will there be a way to fit a marquee player in a small payroll?

2. Isles72

Isles72 Registered User

the 20% max is based on the 39 mil cap , not individual teams payrolls and where they max out at per owners discretion

:)

3. sundstrom

sundstrom Registered User

Home Page:
    it is important to keep in mind that the cap number of $39M is for salaries paid during the season, not total contract value for a season.

so in season trades can happen where salaries don't match if one team has cap room to add and another needs to get lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.