Expensive salaries in the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
I have a few concerns, that I'm hopeful someone can clear up. In terms of maximum player contracts, if a player is making 20% of the max payroll can he then not be traded to a team which is under the max? Or would his salary automatically reflect the change, so if he went from 7 million on a 35 million dollar team, would his salary be cut to 6 million on a 30 million dollar team? Or would it be impossible to trade players making more than 20% of a smaller payroll team to that team?

In terms of guys like Iginla I think this clause has some significant consequences. If the Flames for example have a 30 million dollar payroll, that means they can't pay Iginla more than 6 million, though lots of teams are willing to pay that much for him. So will there be a way to fit a marquee player in a small payroll?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
the 20% max is based on the 39 mil cap , not individual teams payrolls and where they max out at per owners discretion

:)

sundstrom

Feb 20, 2005
New Jersey
www.1800lighting.com
it is important to keep in mind that the cap number of $39M is for salaries paid during the season, not total contract value for a season.

so in season trades can happen where salaries don't match if one team has cap room to add and another needs to get lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad