Ansar Khan: Expect Both Ericsson and Kronwall to Play

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We are not the same as every other organization in this regard. The 7 players up there are treasures and while I disagree with doing it by taking down Aurie the Wings have an incredible array in terms of the impact to the franchise and game up in their rafters.

Henrik is going to be a hall of famer and unlike half of those guys, was a career Wing. Silly, artificial barrier for a franchise player who was the x-factor of a Stanley Cup.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That brings up an interesting question. If Zetterberg can't make the cut, as I said a career Wing, captain, and playoff MVP... are we OK with going 20+ years between number retirements from here forward? Most franchises during that span haven't had a player of his caliber. There's no reason to think the Wings will produce another Yzerman or Lidstrom for a long time. And that's not me knocking management, it's more looking at other teams I follow like the Stars and Wild. I'm not sure they've had any players in the last 20 years, outside of Modano, that would even sniff Zetterberg's legacy with the Wings. It's a pretty rare thing.

This is why I think in the future the team will look back at the 15 year all-star contributions of Pavs and Z and realize they are deserving. Who know how long until we have stars like that again? It's amazing Lidstrom won 4 cups that is a mighty standard. I still think the Euro-twins were such special players in a special era they should someday be recognized together with a number retirement. No player should take 91, 40, or 13 ever again.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
We are not the same as every other organization in this regard. The 7 players up there are treasures and while I disagree with doing it by taking down Aurie the Wings have an incredible array in terms of the impact to the franchise and game up in their rafters.

I've said this before and I feel it needs repeating. The prestige and exclusivity of our retired jerseys is a bit overblown. It's more a factor of we went from a period of having a team of some all time greats to a very long period of having nobody worth considering. The illitches seem quite snobbish when it comes to retirements when you look at aurie being taken down and trammel and Lou not being retired for the tigers. It's more grating to me than it is a sense of honor as fan. One of the things about the illitches I have never liked.

BTW it's going to be quite the stark contrast when you compare the names hanging from the rafters on the wings side to the Pistons side. Seems the Pistons will retire just about anyone. Who goes up first in the new joint,fedorov or darko?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is why I think in the future the team will look back at the 15 year all-star contributions of Pavs and Z and realize they are deserving. Who know how long until we have stars like that again? It's amazing Lidstrom won 4 cups that is a mighty standard. I still think the Euro-twins were such special players in a special era they should someday be recognized together with a number retirement. No player should take 91, 40, or 13 ever again.

If those three don't go up it's completely ridiculous and stinks of snobbery. Willing to bet they go up in a few years when the train of sub-mediocrity is going full tilt and attendance is suffering, though. At that point I hope feds is just like,nah I'm good.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
If those three don't go up it's completely ridiculous and stinks of snobbery. Willing to bet they go up in a few years when the train of sub-mediocrity is going full tilt and attendance is suffering, though. At that point I hope feds is just like,nah I'm good.

I'm newer to the topic so can only say certain recognition may take time to soak in. Thanks to HF I read the opinions considering the significance of Federov playing the WC in 2014 and then into the Michigan HOF(?). People were happy the organization is repairing the bridge and it sounded like it's only a matter of time.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
McIlrath should be our 7th dman then. Or can we just be done with 1 of em and put him in as a regular? Make Sproul 7th dman. McIlrath is still RH shot if anybody cares to know.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't see how this is news. Barring major off-season surgery, these guys were always going to START the season. That says nothing of whether they'll last long. This is just getting out ahead of cap circumvention drama.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think a few days ago it was important to note. After signing Daley and Witkowski several of us were assuming Kronwall was guaranteed IR which is not accurate, at least based on what the club is saying. Someone posted today they thought E and Kronner would sit opening night which makes no sense.

I think this is a realistic possibility (at least for 10 minutes haha):

DeKeyser- Green
Daley- Ericsson
Kronwall- Jensen

Witkowski multiple times it's being said will play forward on the 4th line and only drop to D in case of an emergency situation.

Ouellet is the odd man out. I personally think from last season Ericsson was the better player and should secure a spot before XO. Jensen started asserting himself pretty quickly but honestly isn't that much more valuable than E if at all. Jensen did stand out towards the end you've got to hope he can rise above in effectiveness this season... I think he will.

My opinion is Kronwall should sit for XO but until we hear otherwise if Kronner wants to play he'll be in come October. I imagine we'll actually see more of XO but technically he's in 7th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->