Prospect Info: Expansion Seattle

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If it is like the last draft, those players (sans Lewis as his contract slides) would be eligible to be taken.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Posted this in the Makar thread, but this seems appropriate here. We're pretty well set as long as Makar & Timmins don't go pro until next season & Meloche doesn't immediately go full-Josh-Manson whenever he gets his NHL look.

What happens these next two years could change a lot; but as things stand now, I think we'll get by with losing someone like Kerfoot / Compher / Greer / Kamenev / Andrighetto.

Yeah, if Barrie gets traded for a stud forward like Draisaitl / Stone / Marner, then that would change everything and we'd have to go 7+3; Jost is just too good to leave exposed. But if Barrie is re-signed then the only way we could go 7+3 is if EJ waived his NMC and we had a promise from Seattle that they were going to pick someone younger.

We just don't have any forwards that have to be protected outside of the top line & Jost, and have enough interesting supporting pieces that we can afford to lose 1 of Compher / Greer / Andrighetto / Kamenev / Kerfoot / Nieto / Beaudin / Toninato, who will all be ED-eligible. Especially since we'll still have Bowers, Shvyryov, at least one of these 3 first round picks we have in the next two drafts + any other future picks; who will all be ED-exempt to join whichever of those supporting guys aren't picked.

If he's still around and nothing drastically unexpected happens the next two years, I see Kerfoot being Seattle's target from us. Local kid, really smart, great passer, quick, not afraid to go to the dirty areas, just entering his prime seasons (2 years from now), proven enough for them to feel he's a good gamble (he'll have 3 seasons under his belt by then), but still young n talented enough where he could have a Haula-esque breakout year for them. If his refusal to shoot doesn't infuriate people too badly, he should become a fan favorite pretty quickly.

So as long as Makar & Timmins don't go pro until next season...and Meloche doesn't develop too quickly...the Avs should be good for the Expansion Draft. We'll lose a good player, like everyone, but it won't be anybody we can't live without.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Jost, EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard.

Or MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, Random, Barrie, Girard, Z

If it was at the end of this season would be my guess.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I suspect regardless of what happens, we're going to be one of those teams spending assets to protect a player this time around.

It's still pretty far out to be predicting who is/isn't on the roster in 2 years from now, but for now you're looking at the following guys who will require protection.

Landy, Mack, Rants, JTC, Jost, Kerfoot, Greer, Kamenev, Andrighetto, Toninato

EJ, Barrie, Girard, Zadorov, Nemeth, Meloche, Barbeiro

Now, of that list... I dont think it's a big deal if Toni, Barbeiro, and Nemeth are exposed. Not unless they take huge steps in the next couple of years. Even Andrighetto is probably a guy you hope you can keep around but if you lose him it's not a massive loss with the forward depth we have.

But after that there's a lot of wild cards for the next two years. Especially at the forward position. Between JTC, Jost, Kerfoot, Greer, and Kamenev, that's 5 forwards and only 4 spots for protection. With 3/5 already established as solid NHLers this year, and the other 2 having solid upside. We could absolutely find ourselves in a situation where we need to spend a pick or sacrifice a prospect to protect one of Kamenev or Greer.

And then on Defense. Barrie is a complete wild card because we dont know if he'll even be on the team by then. If he is I dont think he'll be the impending UFA that he currently is for that summer. Meloche will require protection and that could be very tricky if his development continues along the right path.

If things go well for this organization over the next two years. We're going to have to spend a decent asset or two in order to keep our guys protected. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as that's a strong sign that we've got a deep team and are probably a playoff contender at that point which is exactly where we want to be. I could see us sending off a 2nd round pick + leaving a guy like Matt Nieto exposed to be selected in the draft to protect all of our kids. Nieto is the kind of guy that reminds me a lot of Karlsson/Smith/Haula and what they're doing in Vegas now. Not that I think Nieto has 30+ goal/50+ point upside that Karlsson and Smith are having. More so that I think he's a guy that could perform above expectations on an expansion club with an increased role, and would be a good target for Seattle to get if we're making a trade to protect our guys.

All that said, I still really believe it's way to early and a bit silly as fans to be worrying about expansion that's still 2 full years out. Sakic and management just need to continue doing what's best for this organization both now and long term. If in 2 years that means have a welcomed issue of quality depth at risk of being taken away by Seattle, that's a great problem to have and we'll work our way around it just like Columbus, Anaheim, Minnesota, etc. etc. did last time around with expansion.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If Seattle were approved by the draft I would totally be cool with them drafting last for a year before the team joins the league.

member 116861

My biggest fear is that the name and uniforms are gonna suck. Like they're gonna hire the moron who redesigned the Seahawks' outfits.

Those things are beautiful... unless you mean the neon green ones.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m not worried about exposing those forwards *shrug*

Meloche developing too well to leave exposed is the only scenario where I see it actually becoming worth it to pay Seattle to pick who we want. Otherwise just go 4+4 with the Top line, Jost, EJ, Peacock, Samwise & T-boobs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Those things are beautiful... unless you mean the neon green ones.
bobby-action-1.jpg

Reactions: BrickAHL

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO don't worry about an expansion draft issue until it actually becomes an issue... then if it does, don't freak out about it. I think we saw on this last go round that teams panicked too much and gave up more than just letting a decent player go. If the worst the Avs are going to lose is Compher/Kamenev/Kerfoot... don't pay a bit and just lose that player.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Kerfoot yeah, Compher yeah.. Kamenev? Ehhh I dunno, would hate to lose him before we see what we have in him. But I get what you mean.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The overall idea is don't freak out losing a 2nd line or worse player (except if the Avs have the #2C spot locked down... keep that player for sure), or #4/5D and overpay to just keep them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So long as the Avs don't railroad themselves by handing out NMC's to a slew of mediocre players they should still be in good shape by the time the expansion draft takes place. I guess the silver lining is if the fanbase is freaking out about the Avs possibly losing a good player that means the Avs are doing a good job of producing/acquiring them. One of the reasons why we weren't too worried at the last draft is that they didn't really have much to offer.

In the end it'll probably cost them a good player, pick, or both, possibly to "steer" them away from better ones.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The overall idea is don't freak out losing a 2nd line or worse player (except if the Avs have the #2C spot locked down... keep that player for sure), or #4/5D and overpay to just keep them.
Losing a #4D is not OK. Right now it means one of EJ/Barrie/Girard or Zadorov. LeBrun reported not long ago that GM's agreed that paying the expansion team to not pick a certain player won't happen with Seattle. They'll pick according to the rules and that's it, no side deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Losing a #4D is not OK. Right now it means one of EJ/Barrie/Girard or Zadorov. LeBrun reported not long ago that GM's agreed that paying the expansion team to not pick a certain player won't happen with Seattle. They'll pick according to the rules and that's it, no side deal.
I said 4/5D... meaning a player that isn’t quite to that level but may play in that top 4 role. If you have a legit #4D and 3 other top 4s... you protect 8 skaters and prepare to lose a winger. If you don’t have that level of top 4... you go the 7/3 route and lose that 4/5D.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

It's still amazing how good the Knights are given the amount of talent they passed on. Crazy really.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Expansion draft is still a few years away. Sakic has already made some slight moves to exempt Timmins (delay contract until 2018/19 season) and Makar (likely the same or return to college), assuming the draft is 2 years away. I believe the AVs are likely using the 7+3+1 choice and moving Barrie.

Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost
Compher
Kamenev
Kerfoot

EJ
Zadorov
Girard

Exposed:
Soda (UFA)
Comeau (unsure if he resigns after this season)
Neito
Barrie (traded)
Nemeth
Siemens
Meloche (only player wanting to protect)
Greer (still unknown)
Ghetto

Overall, the AVs should be fine if they lose any of these players. Not sure if Seattle is willing to allow extending the protection for a pick, nonetheless, unless the AVs sign a UFA, there is no significant loss in this group.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barrie is more valuable than Compher, Kerfoot, and Kamenev combined... they seem setup well for the 8-1 setup and keeping Barrie. If they wanted to go that route.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Expansion draft is still a few years away. Sakic has already made some slight moves to exempt Timmins (delay contract until 2018/19 season) and Makar (likely the same or return to college), assuming the draft is 2 years away. I believe the AVs are likely using the 7+3+1 choice and moving Barrie.

Mack
Rants
Landy
Jost
Compher
Kamenev
Kerfoot

EJ
Zadorov
Girard

Exposed:
Soda (UFA)
Comeau (unsure if he resigns after this season)
Neito
Barrie (traded)
Nemeth
Siemens
Meloche (only player wanting to protect)
Greer (still unknown)
Ghetto

Overall, the AVs should be fine if they lose any of these players. Not sure if Seattle is willing to allow extending the protection for a pick, nonetheless, unless the AVs sign a UFA, there is no significant loss in this group.
Except you know, that's not how it went down.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Leave Barrie "unsigned" until July 1st, then sign him. No need to protect him. Same for Soderberg. And anyone else they have with an expiring contract that year. Just make sure there is an agreement in place ahead of time, and that you trust the player to not sign elsewhere.

Right now, the ones I am most worried about losing are Meloche, Greer, and Ghetto. Everyone else will either be too old to worry much over, exempt, or easily replaceable (and to be honest, the three I am worried about are not the most difficult to replace either...but I am somewhat attached to them due to following them since they got drafted/traded).

If you want to keep Barrie, and are too scared to risk him getting poached if you try to above tactic, then sign and protect him, and risk one of Kamenev, Compher, or Kerfoot.

Plus, being that it is two years away, at least, so much will change by then we really cannot spend too much skull sweat worrying about it yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad