Speculation: Expansion draft

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Yeah, I don't get it, either. Abby and Helm are good role players who got oversigned, not key pieces to protect.

Some folks think "try hard" and "hustle" are worth a combined $8M/yr, I guess.

You guys are once again confusing what I'd do with what I think will be done.

Holland is not going to expose Helm or Abby after just signing them to long term deals. That is not ever going to happen in a million years. So, any rational forecasting of what the team will do with regards to the expansion draft has to take that into account.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Zetts has to be protected because of the cap recapture clause :( Also think that would be a pretty big smack in the face for someone that meant that much to the franchise. If there is one bad contract that we have to eat I think that is it

... until someone mentions to him the possibility of playing in Sweden for a couple years rather than playing in the NHL for 36 months to earn a combined 5.5 million dollars.

I wonder who might think of that?

Then he plays elsewhere for more money, Detroit gets to suspend him and write off the cap hit, and no recapture penalty is accrued.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
... until someone mentions to him the possibility of playing in Sweden for a couple years rather than playing in the NHL for 36 months to earn a combined 5.5 million dollars.

I wonder who might think of that?

Then he plays elsewhere for more money, Detroit gets to suspend him and write off the cap hit, and no recapture penalty is accrued.

1) salaries in sweden are not that high

2) the cap hit still couldn't be ''written off''. otherwise wings would have just done it with datsyuk.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
1) salaries in sweden are not that high

2) the cap hit still couldn't be ''written off''. otherwise wings would have just done it with datsyuk.

1) Higher than 5.5 million spread over 3 full years, though? ;)

2) I had thought the problem with Datsyuk was that it was a multi-year deal signed post-35, so it was on the books regardless. Z's deal doesn't qualify for that, so if he failed to report he could be suspended and the contract/cap hit voided.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
1) Higher than 5.5 million spread over 3 full years, though? ;)

highest paid players in sweden make about 200K per year, in dollars. you do the math.

2) I had thought the problem with Datsyuk was that it was a multi-year deal signed post-35, so it was on the books regardless. Z's deal doesn't qualify for that, so if he failed to report he could be suspended and the contract/cap hit voided.

for Z to be able to play in sweden, he would have to retire from NHL (recpature penalty) or be waived and he and the club would agree that he plays there (most of the cap hit still stays on the books).

it's more or less datsyuk situation except wings can get a little bit off cap savings if Z were to retire.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
You protect:

Forwards
1. Nielson (NMC)
2. Nyquist (Middle 6 forward, signed to a reasonable deal)
3. AA (Young forward lots of potential)
4. Mantha (Young forward lots of potential)
5. Tatar (Middle 6 forward)
6. Zetterberg (Face of franchise/ recapture penalty)
7. One of Bert, Sheahan, Glenny (I do Bert if he needs to be covered)

Expose: Glenny, Abby, Helm, Frk,etc.
*I don't expose Sheahan because he only has one year left on his contract, not because his play deserves it.

Dman
1. Green (if here still)
2. Dekeyser (If he is your #3, he'd look great, he just isn't a true top pair dman)
3. XO, Marchenko, Sproul (whichever looks best at the end of the season.

Expose: Ericsson, Kronwall, two of the kids. If Green is dealt I hope that we've brought in another dman to replace his spot at some point.

Goalies
1. Mrazek (still has the most long term potential, even if he

Expose: Coreau (he's big but I don't see anything that yells future starter to me), Howard (Dat contract needs to go)

So with that you hope they take one of E, Kronner, Howard, Abby, Helm, or Glenny. All of which are overpaid. I do think there is a good chance one of Abby or Helm get picked up because they are both good players, but just overpaid for where we are at. Also I think there will be a shortage in good forwards made available due to the setup of the draft.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think 19 for President summed it up well. And I think from our group, Helm gets selected. But I have this deep down feeling Helm gets protected.

Also, looking at the possible Vegas expansion roster... does anyone else think it might actually be a better team that the Wings end up with? It's a little depressing, actually. Not significantly, but the defense in particular could actually end up quite a bit better than the Wings.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Zetts has to be protected because of the cap recapture clause :( Also think that would be a pretty big smack in the face for someone that meant that much to the franchise. If there is one bad contract that we have to eat I think that is it

Don't think he'd get picked plus I think he'd understand

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
You protect:

Forwards
1. Nielson (NMC)
2. Nyquist (Middle 6 forward, signed to a reasonable deal)
3. AA (Young forward lots of potential)
4. Mantha (Young forward lots of potential)
5. Tatar (Middle 6 forward)
6. Zetterberg (Face of franchise/ recapture penalty)
7. One of Bert, Sheahan, Glenny (I do Bert if he needs to be covered)

Expose: Glenny, Abby, Helm, Frk,etc.
*I don't expose Sheahan because he only has one year left on his contract, not because his play deserves it.

Dman
1. Green (if here still)
2. Dekeyser (If he is your #3, he'd look great, he just isn't a true top pair dman)
3. XO, Marchenko, Sproul (whichever looks best at the end of the season.

Expose: Ericsson, Kronwall, two of the kids. If Green is dealt I hope that we've brought in another dman to replace his spot at some point.

Goalies
1. Mrazek (still has the most long term potential, even if he

Expose: Coreau (he's big but I don't see anything that yells future starter to me), Howard (Dat contract needs to go)

So with that you hope they take one of E, Kronner, Howard, Abby, Helm, or Glenny. All of which are overpaid. I do think there is a good chance one of Abby or Helm get picked up because they are both good players, but just overpaid for where we are at. Also I think there will be a shortage in good forwards made available due to the setup of the draft.

Disagree with keeping Sheahan and exposing Glenny. Glen is so cheap and of moderate age - who cares how long he's signed? If he's lost, all we do is lose a modest contract for a guy that is content to do dirty work, even if he isn't great at it. Lose Sheahan, and his salary could be used to sign another Vanek off the scrap heap.

With respect to the defenseman, as much as I want Sproul to grab that cheese, XO has cleaned up. XO has all the cheese right now. Sproul, March, and Jensen have little. XO deserves protection at this point.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think 19 for President summed it up well. And I think from our group, Helm gets selected. But I have this deep down feeling Helm gets protected.

Also, looking at the possible Vegas expansion roster... does anyone else think it might actually be a better team that the Wings end up with? It's a little depressing, actually. Not significantly, but the defense in particular could actually end up quite a bit better than the Wings.

If I were Vegas, I would take one of Helm or Abdelkader. Those guys have some name recognition, are "good character guys," have won a Cup, and their length of contract might actually be seen as a positive to a Vegas team looking for continuity in establishing an identity. They'd likely wear an "A" on the team.

With respect to the roster Vegas ends up with - I don't think it'll be better than ours. Even their defense. Teams aren't just going to allow good players to be exposed. I've seen guys like Orlov listed on the expansion roster. Yes, it might come to that, but I think the Caps look to trade Orlov for futures before letting Vegas gets their hands on talent like that for free.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Oh no Bench the hyperbole monster to describe the Wings new awful has gotten you too.

giphy.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh no Bench the hyperbole monster to describe the Wings new awful has gotten you too.

Are you seeing a different team with 14 ROW? I'm just not of the opinion this is a blip. I think this is the team.

We'll see next year. I don't think it's outlandish.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Are you seeing a different team with 14 ROW? I'm just not of the opinion this is a blip. I think this is the team.

You think they are as bad as an expansion team???

Come on, I guess it has been a while since expansion drink it in, those teams are always absolutely brutal in their first year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Disagree with keeping Sheahan and exposing Glenny. Glen is so cheap and of moderate age - who cares how long he's signed? If he's lost, all we do is lose a modest contract for a guy that is content to do dirty work, even if he isn't great at it. Lose Sheahan, and his salary could be used to sign another Vanek off the scrap heap.

With respect to the defenseman, as much as I want Sproul to grab that cheese, XO has cleaned up. XO has all the cheese right now. Sproul, March, and Jensen have little. XO deserves protection at this point.

I think 1.8 for Glenny is pretty high. I don't see him being significantly better than someone we could get at a cap minimum. I would take Sheahan for one more year as our 4th line center for a 2.075 hit than 4 more years of Glenny at 1.8. Glenny at 600kish like he is now, is a no brainer, but his contract kicks in next year.

I do agree on keeping XO at the moment. I think he has been the most consistent of the 3. Sproul & Marchy have the RH factor, but both need to step it up if they want to be protected. Personally I don't really think we lose any of them, because I think there will be much better options available, because of the protection structure.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
You think they are as bad as an expansion team???

Come on, I guess it has been a while since expansion drink it in, those teams are always absolutely brutal in their first year.

If the Wings were to trade Green & not improve the defense, I think they could absolutely be worse. Until this team really fixes its defense, I don't see us getting much better. Right now this team has 2 legit top 4 dman, take away Green and we have 1 playing way over his head on a top pairing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think 1.8 for Glenny is pretty high. I don't see him being significantly better than someone we could get at a cap minimum. I would take Sheahan for one more year as our 4th line center for a 2.075 hit than 4 more years of Glenny at 1.8. Glenny at 600kish like he is now, is a no brainer, but his contract kicks in next year.

I do agree on keeping XO at the moment. I think he has been the most consistent of the 3. Sproul & Marchy have the RH factor, but both need to step it up if they want to be protected. Personally I don't really think we lose any of them, because I think there will be much better options available, because of the protection structure.

****, 1.8? I was thinking it was like 1.2 or something...

Still, I wouldn't be that worried about Glen holding that spot down for 4 years. He's seen as the 4th line anchor, which I think gives Holland confidence to fit him with cheap youngsters, as opposed to someone like Sheahan who can't find a spot on the bus. But yeah, the argument is less convincing knowing Shea and Glen will essentially make the same amount next year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

If Sheahan had 50% the compete level Glendening had, he'd be a top 6 player. I'll take Glenny every day, he's much more likely to actually out-compete the other guy out there on the ice. That becomes even more important in the playoffs, where Glendening has shown signs of being the kind of 4th liner that can actually come up big. He's going to be fantastic if we're ever able to put together enough skill/talent in our top 6 to not lean as much on our bottom 6.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Agree with bench that Vegas will have a better defense than us. Also hoping they take Abby or helm

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Depends what holland does. And who is up for the expansion team

I don't see it unless holland goes full tank

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I don't see us being good for the next several years so I'm not stressing about getting rid of our bad contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->