Speculation: Expansion draft

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Given todays roster(understanding that any UFAs we may sign would have to be protected because they will probably be given NMCs).

My protected list:

Goal:
Mrazek

Defense:
DDK
Marchenko
Ouellet

Forwards:
AA
Abby
Bertuzzi
Mantha
Nyquist
Sheahan
Tatar

Excempt:
Larkin

Available:

Goal:
Howard

Defense:
Kronwall: Diminshing skills, age and cap hit means he won't be taken.
Green: $6 million cap hit for an expansion team-not likely
Ericsson: Well, we can hope

Forwards:
Zetterberg: See Kronwall
Pulks-if he's resigned as a RFA this season.
Jurco: Most likely pick by Vegas as he will still be an RFA after 16/17

Pending UFAs like Glendening and Smith will not be protected because it is very unlikely that Vegas will draft any upcoming UFA as they have no guarantee that the player will sign with them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It looks like Mantha would be exempt, because his first season at Grand Rapids won't count as pro.

That has something to do with his ELC signing age. Guys born after sebtember 15th and december 31st are counted in a different way.

Would be also ready to trade Tatar + Marchenko package for Shattenkirk. Wings also will give conditional 2nd, if Shattenkirk re-signs with Detroit.

My 7+3+1 :

1. Zeta
2. Nyquist
3. Abdelkader
4. Sheahan
5. Athanasiou
6. (some impact UFA like Stammer)
7. Glendening
(this could also be somebody else, TOP6 are no-brainers)
-------------------------
Jurco
Pulkkinen
Miller (if re-signed)
Helm (if re-signed)
some 1-year UFA signed this summer
Tomas Nosek
Martin Frk
Eric Tangradi
Mitchell Callahan
Louis-Marc Aubry

Exempt:
----------
Larkin (2nd year pro)
Mantha (2nd year pro)
Bertuzzi (2nd year pro)
A.Holmström (2nd year pro)
Nastasiuk (2nd year pro)
Svechnikov (1st year pro)
Franzen (long-term injury, league protects)
Vitale (long-term injury, league protects)
Tatar traded for Shattenkirk

Defence:
1. DeKeyser
2. Shattenkirk
3. Green

-------------
4. Kronwall
5. Ericsson
6. Ouellet
7. Sproul
8. Lashoff
9. Jensen

Smith let walk as UFA
Marchenko traded for Shattenkirk

Exempt:
Robbie Russo (only 2nd year pro)
Joe Hicketts (1st year pro)
Saarijärvi

Goalies:
1. Mrazek

------------
2. Howard
3. Coreau

Exempt:
Paterson

Getting rid of Ericsson would be ultimate best scenario. Then proably Howard. Too bad if Kronwall.

Last edited:

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
It looks like Mantha would be exempt, because his first season at Grand Rapids won't count as pro.

That has something to do with his ELC signing age. Guys born after sebtember 15th and december 31st are counted in a different way.

Would be also ready to trade Tatar + Marchenko package for Shattenkirk. Wings also will give conditional 2nd, if Shattenkirk re-signs with Detroit.

My 7+3+1 :

1. Zeta
2. Nyquist
3. Abdelkader
4. Sheahan
5. Athanasiou
6. (some impact UFA like Stammer)
7. Glendening
(this could also be somebody else, TOP6 are no-brainers)
-------------------------
Jurco
Pulkkinen
Miller (if re-signed)
Helm (if re-signed)
Tomas Nosek
Martin Frk
Eric Tangradi
Mitchell Callahan
Louis-Marc Aubry

Exempt:
----------
Larkin (2nd year pro)
Mantha (2nd year pro)
Bertuzzi (2nd year pro)
A.Holmström (2nd year pro)
Nastasiuk (2nd year pro)
Svechnikov (1st year pro)
Franzen (long-term injury, league protects)
Vitale (long-term injury, league protects)
Tatar traded for Shattenkirk

Defence:
1. DeKeyser
2. Shattenkirk
3. Green

-------------
4. Kronwall
5. Ericsson
6. Ouellet
7. Sproul
8. Lashoff
9. Jensen

Smith let walk as UFA
Marchenko traded for Shattenkirk

Exempt:
Robbie Russo (only 2nd year pro)
Joe Hicketts (1st year pro)
Saarijärvi

Goalies:
1. Mrazek

------------
2. Howard
3. Coreau

Exempt:
Paterson

Getting rid of Ericsson would be ultimate best scenario. Then proably Howard. Too bad if Kronwall.

Not for the first time, but I am confused. I agree with having to protect AA, but I don't understand why you have both Mantha and Bertuzzi excempt.

AA:
13/14: 2 reg. + 6 playoff games for G.R. (AHL)
14/15: 55 reg. + 16 playoff games for G.R.(AHL)
15/16: 74 games total split between Detroit and G.R.
16/17: Will be on Wings roster for the yr.

Bert:
14/15: 2 reg. + 14 playoff games in G.R.
15/16: 80 reg. + playoff games in G.R.
16/17: He'll be a pro somewhere(hopefully on the big team)

Mantha:
14/15: 78 reg. + playoff games in G.R. (AHL)
15/16: 79 reg. + playoff games in G.R. and Det.
16/17: Hopefully he's on the Wings

By the time of the expansion draft next June they will have all played in the pros for at least 3 seasons. Please someone explain.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If Larkin is exempt, Bertuzzi is likely exempt as well. Mantha is not exempt and would need to be protected. To me it is unclear how guys like Larkin and Bertuzzi are viewed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
First of all, those seasons at AHL playoffs are not counted. Those were amateur try-out contracts, which are outside of "pro" seasons.

What I've told about that Mantha-case, it is for real. He is exempt.

Larkin is easy and obvious. Only two NHL seasons as pro. That visit in AHL was amateur pto.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Not for the first time, but I am confused. I agree with having to protect AA, but I don't understand why you have both Mantha and Bertuzzi excempt.

AA:
13/14: 2 reg. + 6 playoff games for G.R. (AHL)
14/15: 55 reg. + 16 playoff games for G.R.(AHL)
15/16: 74 games total split between Detroit and G.R.
16/17: Will be on Wings roster for the yr.

Bert:
14/15: 2 reg. + 14 playoff games in G.R.
15/16: 80 reg. + playoff games in G.R.
16/17: He'll be a pro somewhere(hopefully on the big team)

Mantha:
14/15: 78 reg. + playoff games in G.R. (AHL)
15/16: 79 reg. + playoff games in G.R. and Det.
16/17: Hopefully he's on the Wings

By the time of the expansion draft next June they will have all played in the pros for at least 3 seasons. Please someone explain.

It has to do with how old Mantha was when he signed his contract (article here)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting to see now which forwards get protected. Nielsen and Helm will surely be protected. Protected forwards would be: Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Tatar, Nyquist, and then one of Sheahan/AA/Mantha. Looks like we will lose a pretty good young forward.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Interesting to see now which forwards get protected. Nielsen and Helm will surely be protected. Protected forwards would be: Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Tatar, Nyquist, and then one of Sheahan/AA/Mantha. Looks like we will lose a pretty good young forward.

I am very curious if Detroit could do something similar to the past draft and trade Las Vegas picks in order for them not to select unprotected players.

With that said, you should damn well expect guys like Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall to be protected.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I am very curious if Detroit could do something similar to the past draft and trade Las Vegas picks in order for them not to select unprotected players.

With that said, you should damn well expect guys like Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall to be protected.

In the 90s they told...I think Nashville, that if they selected Brown they would trade them a pick to get him back.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Buffalo or someone gave them picks if they didn't select hasek or someone

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

which is absolutely ridiculous IMO

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
which is absolutely ridiculous IMO
Kronwall would be picked for sure.

He will only have 2 years left on his contract. And will only be owed 5.25M TOTAL. (2.6M per year). They would keep him and use him as trade bait. His cap hit would be irrelevant. I doubt Vegas will be a cap team.

Plus lets face it. Kronwall is a very well known name in the game . And it would help to sell tickets.... why wouldn't they for that cheap?

Roman freakin Polak got 2 2nd rounders last year.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Players with NMC clauses are not exempt. Teams are forced to use a protection slot on them.

I know. You have no choice but to protect them. So they are exempt from being chosen. I know how it works. I asked who all on our team as no move clauses. This is what we should be talking about

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I know. You have no choice but to protect them. So they are exempt from being chosen. I know how it works. I asked who all on our team as no move clauses. This is what we should be talking about

Nielsen has the only NMC

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
His NMC is literally only for his protection in the expansion, after 2 seasons if becomes modified and IIRC it's 8 teams.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Kronwall would be picked for sure.

He will only have 2 years left on his contract. And will only be owed 5.25M TOTAL. (2.6M per year). They would keep him and use him as trade bait. His cap hit would be irrelevant. I doubt Vegas will be a cap team.

Plus lets face it. Kronwall is a very well known name in the game . And it would help to sell tickets.... why wouldn't they for that cheap?

Roman freakin Polak got 2 2nd rounders last year.

If by an act of God Kronwall was chosen by Vegas we should be doing cartwheels. That's why you don't protect him. He sucks and him getting chosen given his cap hit would be a GOOD thing, not a bad thing.

Kronwall would help sell tickets? lol. He sucks. No one is going to specifically go out of their ways to see an old, slow, and bad player. Did you buy tickets specifically to go see Brad Richards play for the Wings last season?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
For what it's worth, Khan thinks there's a chance Zetterberg or Kronwall won't be protected because Vegas would be looking to build a younger team. He also goes on to say that he thinks they'll protect Ericsson -- why they would do that I have no idea.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
For what it's worth, Khan thinks there's a chance Zetterberg or Kronwall won't be protected because Vegas would be looking to build a younger team. He also goes on to say that he thinks they'll protect Ericsson -- why they would do that I have no idea.

that's insane. no other logical reason to protect ericsson unless the swedish mafia thing actually exists :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad