Confirmed Signing with Link: Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
GMGM is a moron if he took anything to not pick Manson or Vatanen.

What kind of threat is "Ok, we'll just trade our young, talented D and pray Bieksa waives"?

And even then, Bieksa has some gas left so just pick him if he does waive.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

What kind of threat is "Ok, we'll just trade our young, talented D and pray Bieksa waives"?

Bieksa would have been bought out. It's very easy to see how Manson and Vatanen won't get picked

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012

The only way it works if Anaheim offers more futures, to keep their current team in tact for a cup run next year. Something like Theodore+Steel. Everyone seems completely confident that there's a deal in place, because it would be stupid to let either go for free, disregarding your point that it makes no sense from Vegas's standpoint.

Good teams losing valueable assets is kind of the whole point of the expansion draft. You can only hold onto so many players and if you're stacked you lose something more valuable to even the playing ground, and because you can afford it.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm feeling very confident that Carrier is the pick from Buffalo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Agreed .. they have to ice a team .. unless the Ducks are giving up a good package of picks and prospects to leave those guys there.

The NHL puts things in their favor.. good players exposed so they can be competitive and they tank out of the gate

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Agreed .. they have to ice a team .. unless the Ducks are giving up a good package of picks and prospects to leave those guys there.

The NHL puts things in their favor.. good players exposed so they can be competitive and they tank out of the gate

The thing is you can carry what? 24 guys on your roster? There are 30 teams... assuming they will make a play for several free agents you are looking at having to move around 10 players either to the ahl or in trades or lose their rights... they can afford to pass up some big short term gains for future assetts and still be competitive out if the gate if they can get some decent centers...

I think you are going to see eight to ten draft and flip deals right after the draft....

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
And let's assume that Bieksa can be bought out.

OK? You go right ahead and get rid of two good D to protect one. If I'm GMGM I have no issue watching a division rival dismantle their D.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why not take Ullmark for the AHL?

Because Carrier being unprotected makes no sense unless there was a conversation like this:

"We are probably taking your young goalie...what you're leaving open is crap...overpriced vets and bums with no upside"

"Well...Petersen is going to bolt on us for Chicago so losing another young goalie would decimate us...what if I protect useless Ennis and give you a young player with upside that fits your timeline instead?"

There was no reason to protect Ennis over Carrier since no one is taking Ennis. That's the tip off.

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
OK so I worked pretty hard on this. I think this is the most competitive team possible while still having a solid cupboard of prospects. This team is compliant in every sense; all positional requirements are met, the salary cap is respected ($7,396,217 remaining), and in fact every single player is already under contract. Every player is slotted at his natural position and even the defensemen are each playing their natural side. I've made no trades.

Starting Lineup:

David Perron (STL) - Eric Staal (MIN) - James Neal (NSH)
Matt Moulson (BUF) - William Karlsson (CBJ) - Michael Grabner (NYR)
Carl Hagelin (PIT) - Alex Burmistrov (ARI) - Lee Stempniak (CAR)
Reid Boucher (VAN) - Shawn Matthias (WPG) - Alexandre Burrows (OTT)
*Nick Shore (LAK)

Calvin de Haan (NYI) - Jason Demers (FLA)
David Schlemko (SJS) - Sami Vatanen (ANA)
Nate Schmidt (WSH) - Andrej Sustr (TBL)
*Trevor van Riemsdyk (CHI)

Calvin Pickard (COL)
Kari Lehtonen (DAL)​

*Shore and van Riemsdyk swap in and out depending on whether the team carries a 13th forward or 7th defenseman.

Prospects:

C - Hunter Shinkaruk (CGY)
LW - Kerby Rychel (TOR)
LW - Jujhar Khaira (EDM)
LW - Taylor Leier (PHI)
RW - Stefan Noesen (NJD)
D - Nikita Nesterov (MTL)
D - Xavier Ouellet (DET)
G - Malcolm Subban (BOS)

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Because Carrier being unprotected makes no sense unless there was a conversation like this:

"We are probably taking your young goalie...what you're leaving open is crap...overpriced vets and bums with no upside"

"Well...Petersen is going to bolt on us for Chicago so losing another young goalie would decimate us...what if I protect useless Ennis and give you a young player with upside that fits your timeline instead?"

There was no reason to protect Ennis over Carrier since no one is taking Ennis. That's the tip off.

Insert "He's right, you know" gif

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's a very smart approach if that's the case, spread out the ELC and when they become RFA's.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Contending teams need ELC's and this way they can (potentially) keep drawing ELC kids into roster year after year.

Lowers the possibility of running into cap hell quickly.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
OK so I worked pretty hard on this. I think this is the most competitive team possible while still having a solid cupboard of prospects. This team is compliant in every sense; all positional requirements are met, the salary cap is respected ($7,396,217 remaining), and in fact every single player is already under contract. Every player is slotted at his natural position and even the defensemen are each playing their natural side. I've made no trades.

Starting Lineup:

*Nick Shore (LAK)

Calvin Pickard (COL)
Kari Lehtonen (DAL)​

*Shore and van Riemsdyk swap in and out depending on whether the team carries a 13th forward or 7th defenseman.

Prospects:

LW - Kerby Rychel (TOR)
LW - Jujhar Khaira (EDM)
LW - Taylor Leier (PHI)
RW - Stefan Noesen (NJD)
D - Xavier Ouellet (DET)
G - Malcolm Subban (BOS)

That's an old team. Vegas ain't contending for the cup anytime soon, so why would they draft a few of these older guys?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Starting Lineup:

*Nick Shore (LAK)

Calvin Pickard (COL)
Kari Lehtonen (DAL)​

Prospects:

LW - Kerby Rychel (TOR)
LW - Jujhar Khaira (EDM)
LW - Taylor Leier (PHI)
RW - Stefan Noesen (NJD)
D - Xavier Ouellet (DET)
G - Malcolm Subban (BOS)

I would be very disappointed if those were my goalies if I was Vegas. Also, MTL didn't even qualify Nesterov, no chance he gets selected.

That's probably the strongest forward core I have seen from the fan drafts, but its at the expense of the D and goaltending.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
My out of the box Vegas expansion picks:

Forwards:

Reilly Smith
Craig Smith
Carl Hagelin
Josh Bailey
Marcus Kruger
Michael Raffl
Kerby Rychel
Marko Dano
Lukas Sedlak
Daniel Carr
Jujhar Khaira
Alex Chiasson
Beau Bennett
Brendan Gaunce
Andrej Nestrasil
Brett Connolly
Nail Yakupov
Teemu Pulkkinen

Defense:

Zach Bogosian
Dan Hamhuis
Brenden Dillon
Matt Dumba
Brayden McNabb
Colin Miller
Josh Manson
Chris Wideman
Adam Clendening

Goalies:

Petr Mrazek
Peter Budaj
Calvin Pickard

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Starting Lineup:

*Nick Shore (LAK)

Calvin Pickard (COL)
Kari Lehtonen (DAL)​

Prospects:

LW - Kerby Rychel (TOR)
LW - Jujhar Khaira (EDM)
LW - Taylor Leier (PHI)
RW - Stefan Noesen (NJD)
D - Xavier Ouellet (DET)
G - Malcolm Subban (BOS)

oh sweet baby jesus please take Moulson off the Sabres hands.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
And let's assume that Bieksa can be bought out.

OK? You go right ahead and get rid of two good D to protect one. If I'm GMGM I have no issue watching a division rival dismantle their D.

Dismantle? Losing bieksa is addition by subtraction and trading vatanen would happen this summer expansion draft or not in order to make room for the very impressive Montour.

Back to the old "if you can't beat em, pray the expansion draft does" ideology from oilers fans I see.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Don't they have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->