Expansion Draft question

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I keep hearing that there are ways to think outside the box in reference to the expansion draft. Ways to entice Las Vegas to take a specific player or not take someone. Is this just as simple as 'we'll also give you a draft pick if you take/don't take player X" or are there rule surrounding the gifting of picks/players/prospects?

Would be nice to have extra protection for our few guys who may be exposed by offering a bunch of our cusp prospects in a deal...guys that are getting leapfrogged by better prospects. Perhaps helping the expansion team flush out their farm team in order to take a cap dump? (like Lupul)

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
It'd go something like this

We give Vegas a 2nd for an AHL player if they agree to take Lupul in the draft

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
I don't think Las Vagas will even have players until after the expansion draft. Not sure they could make a trade like that.

Conditional pick (if Vegas takes Lupul Leafs give 2nd in x draft) for future considerations.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I cant see why this type of deal couldn't be made. Deals can be made along the lines of "a draft pick if Las Vegas does not take player X in the expansion draft". So I don't see why the reverse couldn't be done.

I think it was the Sharks that gave up a pick to protect Nabokov? Could be wrong but I think that was one trade that was made during the last expansion.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I cant see why this type of deal couldn't be made. Deals can be made along the lines of "a draft pick if Las Vegas does not take player X in the expansion draft". So I don't see why the reverse couldn't be done.

I think it was the Sharks that gave up a pick to protect Nabokov? Could be wrong but I think that was one trade that was made during the last expansion.

Cool thanks! Im excited to see what crazy deals are made to protect players or move them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad