Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
That is not a 4th line in the salary cap era.

I guess if the belief is Armia and Lowry continue to develop their scoring, and are consistently 30 to 40 pt players, then yes, they wouldn't be a 4th line.

I'm not sure they will reach those numbers consistently.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
First two protection lists already out there:

Ovi Backs Bura Kuz MoJo Eller Wilson -- Nisk Carlson Orlov -- Holtby
Kopi Carter Toffoli Pearson -- Dought AMart Muzzin Forbort -- Quick

so much for lists not getting released to the public (what NHL said initially). I guess we'll know everything before tomorrow 10AM (public announcement).
That's not a full list from the Kings. Only 4 forwards & 3 Defensemen listed

Interesting Washington chose Eller over Oshie

EDIT: Kings list had 4 defensemen

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Same here. Letting go of Dano will haunt the Jets. It'll be a mini-Frolik type situation. Watch Dano go to Vegas and put up 40 points. I would have rather the Jets trade him and get something for him if they intended to protect Copp and sign Thorbs to 1 year contract for XD purposes. We will see if this is part of a deal with Vegas. Atleast it is better than letting Perreault be exposed

You can't do 7-3-1 and expose Copp while protecting Dano. The Jets would not meet the exposed forward rules that way. You could expose Armia or Lowry and protectect Dano but not Copp.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wow so many teams getting better. Let's stand pat some more Chevy lmao what a joke

Any trade made before the Expansion draft means exposing that new player (or another player). You should want Chevy to wait until after Vegas makes their selections and then hope that Chevy can make a good deal for a #4 level LHD to play with Buff.

Order of importance is Goalie (Vegas or UFA), LHD (UFA or Vegas) and if something makes sense a depth forward to improve the PK.
But we have a lot more assets that can play forward in the NHL then D or goalies ready to go.

If Chevy does "nothing" by the time TC rolls around and Hutch is still the b/up plan then I would agree with your "what a joke" sentiment.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
But no chance that Dano would get the same opportunities to put up points on the Jets. He'd be the #6-7 winger, with no PP time on the Jets. Copp scored as much as Dano last season and offers the flexibility of playing C and contributing on the PK. I think it would be close between the two. Of course, if Dano doesn't show up in shape for camp again next year, it's a moot point.

[mod] The Jets don't need Dano to put up big points to be a successful contributor. Dano could have played on the 3rd/4th line and be a solid contributor.

You can't do 7-3-1 and expose Copp while protecting Dano. The Jets would not meet the exposed forward rules that way. You could expose Armia or Lowry and protectect Dano but not Copp.

There was ample time for the Jets to re-sign Copp. Jets are in a position where Copp can't be exposed because Jets chose to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
[mod] The Jets don't need Dano to put up big points to be a successful contributor. Dano could have played on the 3rd/4th line and be a solid contributor.

There was ample time for the Jets to re-sign Copp. Jets are in a position where Copp can't be exposed because Jets chose to do that.

Perhaps Copp didn't like what Chevy offered?

Perhaps Copp's agent knew that if he signed he could be exposed and if he didn't he was more likley to be protected.

Perhaps Vegas said we'll leave Enstrom alone if you make Dano available but if you expose Copp instead we will rather take Enstrom?

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Perhaps Copp didn't like what Chevy offered?

Perhaps Copp's agent knew that if he signed he could be exposed and if he didn't he was more likley to be protected.

Perhaps Vegas said we'll leave Enstrom alone if you make Dano available but if you expose Copp instead we will rather take Enstrom?

If Copp is playing hardball then sign Thorburn to a 1 year deal and expose him instead. There are many cheap and easy ways to make that happen. Lets not make it sound like Copp isn't being exposed due to cirmcumstances boxing the Jets, it is a concious choice made by the Jets.

You might be right about the Enstrom thing but I find it hard to believe that Vegas will take a 32 year old with 1 year left on his deal and a NMC over a young C with NHL potential.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Sure, but if he ends up playing top 6 and a lot of PP time and puts up 40 points with Vegas this board will be flooded for the next few years with a false narrative that it is equivalent to what he would have provided for the Jets, when in reality he would have been a solid 3rd or 4th line with little special team contribution.

I think Copp and Dano are close based on last season and Copp's trajectory. Add in some other considerations and I think keeping Copp is a defensible decision.

I wish Dano all the best and think it's a bummer to lose him. But the Jets will be able to replace what he would bring, so it's not a bad scenario.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If Copp is playing hardball then sign Thorburn to a 1 year deal and expose him instead. There are many cheap and easy ways to make that happen. Lets not make it sound like Copp isn't being exposed due to cirmcumstances boxing the Jets, it is a concious choice made by the Jets.

You might be right about the Enstrom thing but I find it hard to believe that Vegas will take a 32 year old with 1 year left on his deal and a NMC over a young C with NHL potential.

You can't be serious. That would be a very unpopular and unnecessary move. I would be the one criticizing Chevy if that occurred. I suspect I would not be alone.

We were always losing one player. I'm OK that it's likely to be Dano. It's easier to see a role for Copp on this team going forward than it is for Dano IMO.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I have no problem with things playing out as they have so far.

The Jets waiting as long as they did to announce the Dano signing could very well have been a ploy. With Enstrom confirmed as having agreed to waive if asked months ago, Chevy has known for some time this was an option, yet waited until just before the protected lists were released to sign Dano.

All informed fans knew immediately that this was expansion oriented signing & all GM's would have drawn the same conclusion as well.

Leaving some mystery out there isn't always a bad thing, particularly if the opportunity of getting a goalie or defensemen out of Vegas is the end game.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Losing Dano, Copp or Enstrom is totally fine. We should consider ourselves lucky. If we are doing this again in two years for Quebec, we would likely lose a bigger piece than a marginal fourth liner, an aging defenceman with a year left on his contract or a replaceable player like Dano. All three are easy to replace.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
i am surprised so many value copp/lowry > dano. I really think Dano has lots of potential and will develop into a perennial 20 goal scorer.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'll be a little upset if Vegas gets them out of that Brouwer contract.. Not sure who else is a likely pick there though.

I can't see that happening. There are losts of cheaper options.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every year we go into the season with success hinged on every single person on the roster needing to improve. Would it be a crime to just grab someone for the bottom 6 and not rely on growth from every single player ? I'm really hoping we grab someone.

I never said success hinged on any one player improving. I have reasonable hopes for improvement from several players. We will almost certainly have some take a step back too. But we don't need more forwards. We are awash with good forwards. What we need is fewer injuries and better use of the players we have.

Who do you want to grab who would be better than what we have? Who is this someone you want to grab and what do you propose to pay for him? But above all, why? Look at who we have.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
:popcorn:
I'm thinking of an inexpensive option like Michael Grabner, Jannik Hansen or Jay Beagle, but preferably younger. All would help the pk and add some offense to a 3rd line. Armia may develop into a better version, but hasn't yet.

Let's see who's left unprotected. May be there's a better player that fits.

I've got no problem with an upgrade but those aren't easy to get. I'm not interested in getting significantly older. Those guys you name might have 1-2-3 good years left in them, or less.

Exposed to expansion doesn't mean available in trade and if available doesn't mean cheap. If teams trade their XD fodder, they have to lose someone else. So the return has to leave them better off. That means we have to trade XD exempt pieces. Those are the ones with the longest futures.

Change for change's sake is not going to do us any good. We need a goalie. We need fewer injuries. We need a LHD. Longer term, we need replacements for Little and Wheeler. An upgrade to the bottom 6 is a lower priority than all of those things.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
[mod]

Yes - and rightly so. Copp has done more than Dano. Dano shows potential but we have to lose one. Dano is the odd man out. Arguments can be made for both. Jets chose Copp.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
With the rumors of Columbus trying to steer Vegas in the direction of Ryan Murray in the expansion draft would a trade like this make sense for us to make with Vegas after the expansion draft.

To Vegas:
2017 1st Round Pick
Nic Petan

To Winnipeg:
Antti Raanta
Ryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad