YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Which players would you protect for the expansion draft? General rules:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

A few posts from the last thread:

Yep.

I think it's a good opportunity. The Jets have an excess of young F talent. We need the exact type of players (2nd pair LHD, good goalie) that Vegas should be able to snap up in the XD. At the same time, we could maybe wrangle a deal to keep certain players we want to keep, that might otherwise be exposed. Say if we go 4-4-1 but want to hold on to certain other forwards.

Right now, we have 9 guys and 6 spots for them:
MLA
Copp
Petan
Dano
Tanev
Roslovic
Connor
... and other prospects that have some value as well. That's both an excess, and a lot to go shopping with.

If Vegas is willing to give us good value, I'd be willing to part with either Connor or Roslovic, even though they are both very exciting prospects. It's go time.

That being said, no point trading for a goalie if we think we can get someone good (asset free) and on a reasonable contract in FA. Chevy will have to feel out the market.

I don't disagree with the notion of dealing Connor in the right deal but I don't anticipate Vegas having what it would take to deal him. Once again I feel people are overestimating what Vegas will get at the draft. They will get some good to middling 2nd pairing dmen that more than likely will be near their peak. While we could find use for a couple of them I'd just as soon look to other avenues for those player types. For instance I'd rather trade a conditonal late round pick to the Rangers for the right to negotiate with Smith. Much cheaper do that then pay a grade A prospect for an equivalent dmen.

Yep Vegas will have a team of Joel armia Adam Lowry types in general. Decent to middling complimentary pieces but nothing to salivate over.

I suspect you are correct. Not that I know the man but seems very unlikely he would be willing to waive his "no move" to go to the desert which offers completely the opposite of everything off-ice he seems to enjoy.

Also I think that Vegas will be pretty good defensively as they will be able to pick up 8 number 4 defensemen and a couple of pretty good goalies. Likely better defensively and goaltender wise than the Jets have been the past 6 years.

As far as start power to sell merchandise I think they will do fine in that regard as a new team (may change rapidly once the shine wears off in a few years)

Yes, but the Jets need to expose two forwards who meet the eligibility criteria, which includes being under contract for next year.

With Dano inexplicably in the press box, I have been wondering whether Chevy has already cooked up a deal to send Dano to Vegas and is now protecting him from injury to consummate the deal.

I think the Jets would prioritize Perreault, Lowry, Armia and Copp over Dano at this point. If they keep Perreault and bring Connor up next season, there's not much room on the roster for Dano.

Ehlers--Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Petan-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic

Or something like that.

Would hurt to lose Dano, but I wouldn't want to lose any of those 8.

I wonder if keeping Copp might also be part of the strategy to sign Trouba long term.

If they are going to protect 7f (no way of knowing at this point) they will find a way to have two eligible f to expose. It's not a difficult task

If we go 8-1 and lose MP...
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Petan-Roslovic-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano
Matthias and Tanev in pressbox
Although Chevy is probably going to sign a forward to help onthe PK.

Morrissey Trouba
UFA Buff
Enstrom Myers
That's about 29m on salary cap hit (26.5m actual salary) for the D but Enstom's 5.75 is off in a year and Myers' 5.5 (3.5m) is off the year after if you are paying an UFA 6m per year.

UFA/trade Helle

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Trade for De Haan predraft while the price is low (Petan?). Protect 4-4-1 if enstrom waves. If he won't, you protect 5 D and expose Perrault, and Lowry etc. I think we could fill any hole after the XD cheaper or internally going this route.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trade for De Haan predraft while the price is low (Petan?). Protect 4-4-1 if enstrom waves. If he won't, you protect 5 D and expose Perrault, and Lowry etc. I think we could fill any hole after the XD cheaper or internally going this route.

Interesting idea.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If we can protect only 4 F's and can't make a deal that specifies who will be taken we will lose 1 of Lowry, Armia, Copp, Dano. I don't want to lose any of them although Dano would be my choice, if it must be. I particularly do not want to lose Perreault but there are some offsetting factors. His injury history, his cap hit. So if he were simply added to that list and let LV take their choice I could live with the result if it meant also getting De Haan.

So the net would be losing Perreault and Petan but keeping all of Lowry, Armia, Copp, Dano and adding De Haan. As long as we could sign De Haan satisfactorily I would be happy with that end result and I like both MP and Petan. I am assuming LV takes Perreault.

That has us down to just 2 holes, goal and coach.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
If we can protect only 4 F's and can't make a deal that specifies who will be taken we will lose 1 of Lowry, Armia, Copp, Dano. I don't want to lose any of them although Dano would be my choice, if it must be. I particularly do not want to lose Perreault but there are some offsetting factors. His injury history, his cap hit. So if he were simply added to that list and let LV take their choice I could live with the result if it meant also getting De Haan.

So the net would be losing Perreault and Petan but keeping all of Lowry, Armia, Copp, Dano and adding De Haan. As long as we could sign De Haan satisfactorily I would be happy with that end result and I like both MP and Petan. I am assuming LV takes Perreault.

That has us down to just 2 holes, goal and coach.

And maybe make a play for Raanta or Fleury predraft if the price is cheap. If we expose them and lose one, so be it, cause we'd keep all our forwards this way. Maybe this XD is to be treated like poker where a good strategy is to do the opposite of everyone else and load up instead of trying to decrease exposed players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And maybe make a play for Raanta or Fleury predraft if the price is cheap. If we expose them and lose one, so be it, cause we'd keep all our forwards this way. Maybe this XD is to be treated like poker where a good strategy is to do the opposite of everyone else and load up instead of trying to decrease exposed players.

A play for Raanta makes sense, if you are willing to expose Helly. Depending on who is available Helly might survive the XD. Bottom line is you only lose 1 player. If you can maneuver beforehand to strengthen your team it just might be worth it.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Well said, we're just talking about it in the FA thread. If you lose Raanta lets say then you give up probably a draft pick as your expansion loss and get to keep Perreault et al. And if they don't pick Raanta then you got your goalie. If they do then you go to UFA and only lost a pick in expansion.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Why do we think we can get De Haan?

(not being an ******* - legit wondering - thought he was still RFA)

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I actually kind of like this idea, obviously depending on the price of De Haan.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Why do we think we can get De Haan?

(not being an ******* - legit wondering - thought he was still RFA)

The isles are possibly gonna lose someone decent on D. Boychuk has To be protected. Leddy, Hamonic, Pulock, De Haan. I've been an isles fan for 30 years before jets 2.0 so I follow the boards a bit on their end too. Lots of talk on having to make a deal before XD.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
The isles are possibly gonna lose someone decent on D. Boychuk has To be protected. Leddy, Hamonic, Pulock, De Haan. I've been an isles fan for 30 years before jets 2.0 so I follow the boards a bit on their end too. Lots of talk on having to make a deal before XD.

ahh got it.

I think price for him may be pretty high though then. Would be great to get De Haan though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ahh got it.

I think price for him may be pretty high though then. Would be great to get De Haan though.

That depends on how competitive the bidding gets. It has to be enough to make it worthwhile for the isles though. Petan, being exempt might do the trick. This could be a way to make the most of his otherwise low market value.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
That depends on how competitive the bidding gets. It has to be enough to make it worthwhile for the isles though. Petan, being exempt might do the trick. This could be a way to make the most of his otherwise low market value.

I doubt Petan would be enough to do it alone. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt Petan would be enough to do it alone. I'd do it in a heartbeat if it was though.

Pretty hard to estimate what the competitive bidding might lead the price to.

In a vacuum, presuming the Isles are going to lose CDH anyway it is a good deal for them. Except if they move CDH who do they lose instead? Depends whether they go 8+1 or 7+3+1. Looks to me like 7+3+1 leaves both CDH and Pullock exposed. If they trade one they still lose the other so they are down 2 D. No advantage to the trade. If they go 8+1 they lose one of Bailey, Nelson or Strome.

I think they go 7+3+1 and lose one of the D. A trade beforehand doesn't solve their problem. It looks to me like it would be better for us to make a deal for CDH, or similar with LV. Or, better yet save the assets and sign Smith.

kxx

Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Pretty hard to estimate what the competitive bidding might lead the price to.

One of the things I hate about Chevy is that he won't get involved in bidding wars.

One of the things I like about Chevy is that he won't get involved in bidding wars.

We'll see though - I get why you're saying it may make sense for NYI and the situation could put them at a place where can get an important piece for relatively little. Its not unrealistic. I like Petan but he's not getting the chances here thus far.

This could be an offseason for the ages.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Even if the Isles go 8-1 and protect 4 D men, they will still lose one good D man.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looking at their roster I feel the Islanders will go 4-4-1. They really don't have a glut of forwards that are worth protecting imo. They will lose one of Strome and Polouck imo. Given how both have developed to date I wouldn't peg either as a huge loss.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Even if the Isles go 8-1 and protect 4 D men, they will still lose one good D man.

Unless they go 8+1 and trade 1 D man. But then they lose 1 good F so they are down 1 of each but have the return on the D. So that return has to = Brock Nelson, for example just for them to break even on the trade..

We don't have a Brock Nelson to spare. I'm not giving them Ehlers for CDH. I'm not giving them Ehlers. But if I did consider it they would have to be talking Leddy, which isn't happening.

I don't think there is a deal to be made there. Even teams that are in tough with the XD can't easily work out of it with a trade. From our POV I think we have a better chance working something with LV, or simply stepping up with the $$$ in FA.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looking at their roster I feel the Islanders will go 4-4-1. They really don't have a glut of forwards that are worth protecting imo. They will lose one of Strome and Polouck imo. Given how both have developed to date I wouldn't peg either as a huge loss.

I think that if they go 4+4+1, or 8+1 they lose one of Anders Lee, Brock Nelson or Josh Bailey. They can only protect 2 of them. Or LV passes on the unprotected F and takes Pulock. He is having a VG season in the A.

I suppose they might trade 1 of those 3 F for an exempt player but that would mean adding a significant piece or taking a much lesser return. No one is going to help them out that way just to break even. It has to be a team with the protections to take another F too.

Isles are going to lose a good player. They are in a worse bind than we are. I would like to take advantage of them but I don't see how it works for them.

:laugh: How about we offer to take both CDH and Pulock off their hands? We could give them some exempt pieces, Petan + Stanley. I would even throw in Chiarot. :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I wonder if buying out Enstrom, protecting 7-3 and then losing Dano to Vegas is a better option than going 4-4 and losing one of Perreault or Lowry to Vegas?
ie: is Perreault > Enstrom + Dano

Have to keep in mind their contract situations in this discussion; Perreault signed for 4 years, while Enstrom has 1 expensive year remaining.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I wonder if buying out Enstrom, protecting 7-3 and then losing Dano to Vegas is a better option than going 4-4 and losing one of Perreault or Lowry to Vegas?
ie: is Perreault > Enstrom + Dano

Have to keep in mind their contract situations in this discussion; Perreault signed for 4 years, while Enstrom has 1 expensive year remaining.

I think it's pretty clear that's the right decision, though we all know they won't do it and that's extremely frustrating.
IMO this team doesn't seem to care about wining a while lot. They want to look like the nice guy team .

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So much discussion about a player who is most likely getting exposed.

Maurice in his presser today said something like Lowry has 15 goals for a defensive minded forward and shouldn't be counted as "bottom-6" :laugh: . They are protecting Lowry, folks.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Maurice in his presser today said something like Lowry has 15 goals for a defensive minded forward and shouldn't be counted as "bottom-6" :laugh: . They are protecting Lowry, folks.

I didn't know this was an either or choice.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

They may be. That doesn't mean it's the right decision. In fact it will be, I dare say, a honest to goodness bungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->