Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion Part III - The Final Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Last I saw we were debating whether Hudon would be exposed for Vegas to claim. I agree with M.C.G 31 that Vegas would claim him. Habs need to address this asap. If they expose him, it exposes the mediocrity of drafting and notably developing. I would take him on the 3rd line on the Habs.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Last I saw we were debating whether Hudon would be exposed for Vegas to claim. I agree with M.C.G 31 that Vegas would claim him. Habs need to address this asap. If they expose him, it exposes the mediocrity of drafting and notably developing. I would take him on the 3rd line on the Habs.

What's the upside in claiming a 5'10" 23 years old AHLer with 6 NHL games experience?

It's a big risk IMO.

If guys like Emelin or Plekanec are exposed, they are going to go with sure bets.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
What's the upside in claiming a 5'10" 23 years old AHLer with 6 NHL games experience?

It's a big risk IMO.

If guys like Emelin or Plekanec are exposed, they are going to go with sure bets.

Lol, their first player is Reid Duke. They have room for a guy who looks NHL ready and has been near the top of scoring in the AHL for multiple seasons. Especially as free asset with room to grow, rather than the epic decline of Plekanec who is not needed for a team not likely contending.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lol, their first player is Reid Duke. They have room for a guy who looks NHL ready and has been near the top of scoring in the AHL for multiple seasons. Especially as free asset with room to grow, rather than the epic decline of Plekanec who is not needed for a team not likely contending.

They'll have to pay to get them to take Plekanec. The guy is near worthless, esp. at that salary.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

They're not going to pick Plekanec to keep him.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Nov 12, 2005
ON
With roster freeze on Saturday at 3 pm for the expansion draft are analysts thinking this Saturday will be busy similar to the trade deadline?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They're not going to pick Plekanec to keep him.

I know your point about how he could fetch a pick at the TDL, but it's not just about salary. He's a one dimensional player at this point. Vegas will find better than Plekanec on some other team's unprotected list. Habs are not exactly deep in quality players.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With roster freeze on Saturday at 3 pm for the expansion draft are analysts thinking this Saturday will be busy similar to the trade deadline?

That's a good question. McPhee is reported to having made a lot of deals which probably is going to take a lot of excitement out of those protection lists they'll be divulging. Should be better than the typical TDL fare as Vegas has to be involved in 30 deals or moves of some sort whereas at the TDL, not every team is in on the action.

Still, I expect the old boys' network to find creative ways to make this boring by getting into way too many friends helping friends type deals. These are the same people who won't offersheet anyone, why would it be any less cozy with the new team coming in.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I know your point about how he could fetch a pick at the TDL, but it's not just about salary. He's a one dimensional player at this point. Vegas will find better than Plekanec on some other team's unprotected list. Habs are not exactly deep in quality players.

You think there are no other Hudon's out there?

I don't think a lot of quality centers will be exposed, and they could trade players even before the TDL.

Plekanec at a reduced salary would interest some teams IMO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You think there are no other Hudon's out there?

I don't think a lot of quality centers will be exposed, and they could trade players even before the TDL.

Plekanec at a reduced salary would interest some teams IMO.

We'll see. Vegas may like JDL more than Hudon and Plekanec, for all we know.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
DLR would be my pick. Can be seen to still have potential to grow, big, skates well, there is no reason why this guy wouldn't be a NHL'er in some capacity. Wasn't brought in the right way...but it doesn't mean he can't get things going again for somebody.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
DLR would be my pick. Can be seen to still have potential to grow, big, skates well, there is no reason why this guy wouldn't be a NHL'er in some capacity. Wasn't brought in the right way...but it doesn't mean he can't get things going again for somebody.

Except that he has no offensive ability whatsoever and bottom six offensive black holes are a dime a dozen.

He was a terrible use of a 33rd overall draft pick and would be a terrible expansion draft pick.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I would send Vegas a 3rd to ensure they don't take Benn. He's worth trading a 3rd for.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Except that he has no offensive ability whatsoever and bottom six offensive black holes are a dime a dozen.

He was a terrible use of a 33rd overall draft pick and would be a terrible expansion draft pick.

To be honest, that 2nd round is looking pretty bad at this point. In fact, Lehkonen is currently the best player picked in that round.

JDLR showed some life at the end of last AHL season. I have hopes for him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Let's not forget, Vaughn Karpan is Vegas' Director of Pro Scouting and before this gig, he was an amateur scout for the Canadiens. That means he has a good idea of what Hudon and De La Rose are capable of. He's the one McPhee would look to for advice concerning the Canadiens, particularly their prospects who can become available for the draft.

Another who can help McPhee concerning the Habs is Gallant. He can tell him who he likes having been behind the bench and in the room with these players. He can do the same with the Panthers.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
To be honest, that 2nd round is looking pretty bad at this point. In fact, Lehkonen is currently the best player picked in that round.

JDLR showed some life at the end of last AHL season. I have hopes for him.

I just remember Timmins saying Bergevin emphasized size more when he came in and I have a feeling he made that pick out of a mandate to increase our size. Our best picks from that year were Lehkonen (considered small at the time 5'11 150 lbs), Ghetto, and Reway. If we hadn't emphasized size and drafting a goalie for position, might we have taken Anthony Duclair (5'll) and Jordan Subban (5'9) over De la rose, fucale or Crisp?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let's not forget, Vaughn Karpan is Vegas' Director of Pro Scouting and before this gig, he was an amateur scout for the Canadiens. That means he has a good idea of what Hudon and De La Rose are capable of. He's the one McPhee would look to for advice concerning the Canadiens, particularly their prospects who can become available for the draft.

Another who can help McPhee concerning the Habs is Gallant. He can tell him who he likes having been behind the bench and in the room with these players. He can do the same with the Panthers.

So he either completely believes that Beaulieu can become a consistent and dangerous NHL defenceman, or has zero confidence in him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Yeah, he is 22 year old. There's just no reason why he should improve. His career should be done. No idea why he doesn't retire already.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

His offence has progressed in the AHL every year. There is a chance his NHL offence follows a bit.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
His offence has progressed in the AHL every year. There is a chance his NHL offence follows a bit.

Last year is the first year in his career he hit double digits in goals. But I'm going more from seeing him play. I don't see the offensive potential. In theory any 22 year old could have untapped potential. But where do you want to hedge your bets?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

True. Not that Karpan and Gallant are perfect, but we will have a great indication as to who they really think could help them.

What I can wait to see though is the trades McPhee could be able to do with the guys he'll picked. Pretty sure that some guys in there will be going somewhere else in exchange for some other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->