Expanding the Beanpot

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
For over 60 years the four major hockey schools in Boston - BC, BU, Harvard, and Northeastern - have staged the Beanpot tournament.

But of course, there are now technically 8 Division I hockey schools in the area - the other four being Bentley, Merrimack, Holy Cross, and UMass-Lowell. The former two I am projecting to move up to full D1 athletics in the Northeast Conference.

So, I present the idea of expanding the Beanpot to include those other four schools. This would certainly bring in more revenue, and possibly a national TV contract.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
I can see Bentley, but UML, Merrimack and Holy Cross really are not Boston schools, so they would have to change the name, like the Bay State Cup or something.
Also because all those schools are still in NESN territory, they might not like the idea of it on ESPN or something.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I can see Bentley, but UML, Merrimack and Holy Cross really are not Boston schools, so they would have to change the name, like the Bay State Cup or something.
Also because all those schools are still in NESN territory, they might not like the idea of it on ESPN or something.

Well in NESN's home territory (New England) the national broadcast of the Beanpot would be blacked out.

ac9er

Jan 9, 2015
Not for the Beanpot, but I'd like to see a holiday tournament between BU, BC, Maine, and UNH. Maybe through in some of the others if you want it bigger.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Expanding the Beanpot would be awful. This, from a fan of Western based teams. The four current teams involved are the ones that will always be the biggest draw. A big part of the allure is that all the fans can catch the rail line to see the games.

In Michigan we have the Great Lakes Invitational (probably the 2nd longest running regional tourny). It's UM, Michigan State, Mi Tech and invite team. I'm pretty sure if you threw Northern Mich, Lake Superior St., Ferris State and Bowling Green into the mix the fans would not sit through the prelim ganes. Don't mess with a proven commodity.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Not for the Beanpot, but I'd like to see a holiday tournament between BU, BC, Maine, and UNH. Maybe through in some of the others if you want it bigger.

No no no, all Hockey East teams playing each other stupid already. I do love your idea of a holiday tourney with perhaps a HE- ECAC field
or even bring in 1 Western team and maybe a Canadian University.

When I was a kid, BC would always bring down a Canadian School, Loyola or McGill for a game around Christmas.

It could be played at a BC ar BU rink for a 7000 crowd max.

masa2009

May 11, 2011
Why would adding small New England colleges with little out of market support result in a national TV contract?
These teams are not exactly Notre Dame.
Ratings are already barely ESPN worthy for the Frozen Four.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
No no no, all Hockey East teams playing each other stupid already. I do love your idea of a holiday tourney with perhaps a HE- ECAC field
or even bring in 1 Western team and maybe a Canadian University.

When I was a kid, BC would always bring down a Canadian School, Loyola or McGill for a game around Christmas.

It could be played at a BC ar BU rink for a 7000 crowd max.
If it was a Canadian University, UNB would be a good fit. Six Canadian titles in the last 10 years for that program.
UNB played host to BC,Union,Providence at the X-Mas break ,since 2009 ,in Fredericton., all 3 NCAA teams played a 2 game series. All 3 series ended in a split.
Fredericton is located 3 hours from Orono, Maine.
The Black Bears also played UNB in Fredericton, also a split, but those games were in October.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
This is a great idea...if you know nothing about the Beanpot or college hockey in general. The Beanpot is not for "Boston area schools," it's for Boston schools. The first Beanpot was played at Boston Arena (now Matthews Arena) between the four college teams that called it home. Not for teams that play "in the area." Heck, you might as well add Providence and Brown to that, since they're located only three more miles away from the TD Garden than Holy Cross. Brown can add more "Ivy League" flavor and Providence plays in a major basketball conference, so that would help with the national television contract and the increased revenue.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, Big Z Man, where do you come up with your projections?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Those four are the only Boston teams. The others are not in Boston thus do not belong in the Beanpot. Why mess with something that's been a success for 60 years?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->