Exhibition games that turned into serious games

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As this NHL web page reports, the initial "all-star games" in the 1930s were benefit games. So when the more modern version of the annual event started in 1947 (when the previous season's Stanley Cup champions would face a select roster from the other teams), the tradition of an exhibition game had been established & it all became a talent showcase - the "talent" mostly being something other than physical play.

I'm not so familiar with early North American minor pro all-star game history, but I imagine they followed the lead of the NHL. Even the 2014 AHL ASG vs. Färjestad BK was a mild affair.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Leafs vs. Färjestad BK turned into a regular season affair :laugh:

Twas hilarious when Tucker and Corson chased Kåberg to the bench just to back down to BÅG.

Reactions: Killion

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Perhaps this kind of exhibition during a Forth Worth Texans game qualifies here as it may have led to some post game activity? :)

One game featured, as part of their intermission entertainment, a short exhibition hockey game between girls from the Dallas playboy bunny club and Airmen stationed at Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth. The Airmen shared the ice with the Texans for a practice in the week leading up to the game. A team of local college players helped the girls. They advertised in the local papers with the slogan "War on Ice".

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
All Star games meant something in the leagues years ago; there was pride involved.

There were actual fights when the NHL Stanley Cup Champions would play the league All-Stars back prior to expansion.

All Star games have gone from enjoyable to complete waste of times over the years, imho.

But they still have them, and people still watch, so I am probably in the minority of people with zero interest in them today.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
The NHL All-Star game evolved from a benefit game set up to help out the Maple Leafs' Ace Bailey, after he was brutally laid out by Boston's Eddie Shore in December of 1933. https://www.si.com/nhl/2017/01/26/first-nhl-all-star-game-ace-bailey-eddie-shore

There were also several exhibitions between WHA and NHL teams during the mid-to-late 1970's: WHAhockey.com - WHA vs NHL

Things were different back in the day, across all sports, before free agency. Fraternizing with the opposition at any time, on or away from the ice / field, was strictly frowned upon, and viewed as 'weakness'. I understand that sports have evolved, and that players are more or less part of a millionaire's club nowadays. I just wish they'd refrain from fraternizing in-game. I mean, can't they just suspend my disbelief for a couple of hours while they are competing, and just appear to hate each other during the course of the game?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
All Star games meant something in the leagues years ago; there was pride involved.

There were actual fights when the NHL Stanley Cup Champions would play the league All-Stars back prior to expansion.

All Star games have gone from enjoyable to complete waste of times over the years, imho.

But they still have them, and people still watch, so I am probably in the minority of people with zero interest in them today.
No, I would say the vast majority of fans has no interest in it nowadays. I think the last All-Star game I watched was in about 1997 or something, and that was painful enough.

I cannot understand why the NHL -- instead of looking for more stupid gimmicks -- doesn't go back to the ORIGINAL All-Star idea of, as you say, the Stanley Cup champions versus the League All Stars.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad