Exhibition Game Canada-Finland U-20 (Dec.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Any observations regarding Oskar Osala's play?

Best forward on Team Finland in my opinion. Really calm, didn't make stupid mistakes like most Finnish forwards. Looks good with the puck and without it. Really strong along the boards and in the corners, couple of good hits. He was one of the better players on the PK as well, even if that's not saying much considering the fact that the PK sucked. Offensively it's hard to say much about him because Finland really didn't have that much offense in this game.

Too bad he didn't get that much ice time in the third period...

espo*

You was watching the game?

LOL,another newfie watching the game,just a Finn Newfie this time.

'You was".................great stuff.Newf or Finn?.You make the call!!!

I'm starting to get a better feeling about this tournament now.

At least i'm laughing.Usually a good sign for me at least.

Jude

Apr 18, 2006
Helsinki

?

Btw, i really recommend you to learn to write, even 12 year old kids write better :)

Last edited:

espo*

?

Btw, i really recommend you to learn to write, even 12 year old kids write better :)

No problem,i was just having fun listening to the Finn/Newf English.......never meant a damn mean thing by it.

But you get pissed off..............you'll need that.

I'll still have fun here,Get's me up.

Jude

Apr 18, 2006
Helsinki
No problem,i was just having fun listening to the Finn/Newf English.......never meant a damn mean thing by it.

But you get pissed off..............you'll need that.

I'll still have fun here,Get's me up.

Hehe, yeah, i was the person who got pissed off & whined at the first place ;) And besides, its really weak to whine for someone about the language skills, if its not the persons mother language ;) and last, imo, its not essential if you cant write perfectly foreign languages, as far as people understands you, if compared to problems with proper writing layout. :D

espo*

Hehe, yeah, i was the person who got pissed off & whined at the first place ;) And besides, its really weak to whine for someone about the language skills, if its not the persons mother language ;) and last, imo, its not essential if you cant write perfectly foreign languages, as far as people understands you, if compared to problems with proper writing layout. :D

language is no big deal as long as someone has a grasp of either one.................as you can imagine,i have not even a touch of Finn,you're in the "better then me" category as far as i'm concerned.

What do i know?

Anyway,tournaments coming up and there is good games on the way............................you can be sure of that,language not required.

Jude

Apr 18, 2006
Helsinki
language is no big deal as long as someone has a grasp of either one.................as you can imagine,i have not even a touch of Finn,you're in the "better then me" category as far as i'm concerned.

What do i know?

Anyway,tournaments coming up and there is good games on the way............................you can be sure of that,language not required.

Sounds better ;) yes, hope we can see some good games.

LtnCastillo

Registered Driver
Oct 13, 2006
Helsinski
Another "Finnish newfie with bad English" here. I was in the game (wanted to see Bourdon live, among others). A few notes:

Finland didn't really stand a chance. Excuses or not, but our team looked quite "ill" out there. We got outskated (among other things).
Price had a quiet first period. He faced the first "good quality shot" somewhere like 4 mins before 1st intermission. When pucks later finally started coming his way, he was, not surprisingly, a bit rusty.
Alzner really stood out from the Canadian d-men. A solid effort.
Downie actually did look like he was on something. Poking, grabbing, looking for trouble all the time.
Rask was ok. Couple of almost comical mistakes, though.

I spend way too much time here at HF, since I knew more about Team Canada players than our "Baby Lions".:confused:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
The one thing I noticed about Team Finland is that they thought they had much more time than they actually had. Also they didn't pay much attention to their surroundings. A lot of time they passed the puck to places where there was a Canadian player right next to their teammate and sometimes the pass went straight to the Canadians...

Heavy Fuel

I made these banners of the 2007 World Junior Canadian Team as part of my web design course I did this in photoshop. Pls tell me what you think of it.

teamcanadarosterbanner4.jpg

teamcanadarosterbanner5copy.jpg

teamcanadarosterbanner6.jpg

teamcanadarosterbanner7.jpg

teamcanadarosterbanner8.jpg

I think that they are sig worthy! Nice work, I hope you don't mind if I borrowed a section of one for myself. It's good to see another Grover on the site, especially a talented one.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
I spend way too much time here at HF, since I knew more about Team Canada players than our "Baby Lions".

Same thing here ;). So here's a few comments on the Canadian players. I paid a special attention on Darren Helm and here's what I posted on the Red Wings board:

Helm played mostly on an energy line with Sam Gagner (-07 eligible) and Marc-Andre Cliché (NYR). In the first period Helm didn't see much ice time, as he was a couple of times substituted on his line by Kenndal McArdle (FLA). Soon it became obvious, though, who deserved more ice time. McArdle looked clumsy and even fell over on his own in some situations.

Everytime Helm was on the ice, he seemed to be aware of what he should do next. He skated really well and caused some havoc on the forecheck. When he handled the puck, he showed very nifty stickwork, with which he was able to pass the puck along. He survived from many difficult situations with his stickhandling. I don't think he turned the puck over all night.

Starting from the second period he was played also on the penalty kill. His speed and ability to disrupt really caused trouble for the Finnish defensemen. He drew one penalty and twice stole the puck behind Finland's net as the lone Canadian guy up front. He seems to be adept at battling for the puck along the boards. Overall it could be said that he was one of Canada's best players defensively.

Sam Gagner was very shifty with moves when he launched for an attack. Nice to see that he got some responsibility, as he was running the Canadian power play a few times. He played with confidence and nowhere else was it more evident than in a situation where both teams were changing on the fly, thus leaving more open ice. Gagner jumped on the opportunity and shuttled towards a lone Finnish defenseman. At full speed he pulled a fancy puck-between-his-own-legs deke and blew past the defender. But Rask came out so well that he couldn't get a proper shot released.

The best player on ice for either team was Jonathan Toews. He was focused and always seemed to initiate pressure in Finland's end of the rink.

Luc Bourdon joined the rush via swift skating everytime he could. I was surprised though for him making a few dangerous turnovers. Granted, he played the most of the Canadian defensemen.

Karl Alzner got the most results in the offensive end, but the honour of the best defensive defenseman would go to Ryan Parent. He was rock-solid all night, sometimes the Finnish forwards were hesitant to even try to challenge him.

The most important save Carey Price made, came at the final seconds of the first period. Finland had a glorious chance to get on the board, but Price precluded the attempt with a terrific save.

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Same thing here ;). So here's a few comments on the Canadian players. I paid a special attention on Darren Helm and here's what I posted on the Red Wings board:

Helm played mostly on an energy line with Sam Gagner (-07 eligible) and Marc-Andre Cliché (NYR). In the first period Helm didn't see much ice time, as he was a couple of times substituted on his line by Kenndal McArdle (FLA). Soon it became obvious, though, who deserved more ice time. McArdle looked clumsy and even fell over on his own in some situations.

Everytime Helm was on the ice, he seemed to be aware of what he should do next. He skated really well and caused some havoc on the forecheck. When he handled the puck, he showed very nifty stickwork, with which he was able to pass the puck along. He survived from many difficult situations with his stickhandling. I don't think he turned the puck over all night.

Starting from the second period he was played also on the penalty kill. His speed and ability to disrupt really caused trouble for the Finnish defensemen. He drew one penalty and twice stole the puck behind Finland's net as the lone Canadian guy up front. He seems to be adept at battling for the puck along the boards. Overall it could be said that he was one of Canada's best players defensively.

Sam Gagner was very shifty with moves when he launched for an attack. Nice to see that he got some responsibility, as he was running the Canadian power play a few times. He played with confidence and nowhere else was it more evident than in a situation where both teams were changing on the fly, thus leaving more open ice. Gagner jumped on the opportunity and shuttled towards a lone Finnish defenseman. At full speed he pulled a fancy puck-between-his-own-legs deke and blew past the defender. But Rask came out so well that he couldn't get a proper shot released.

The best player on ice for either team was Jonathan Toews. He was focused and always seemed to initiate pressure in Finland's end of the rink.

Luc Bourdon joined the rush via swift skating everytime he could. I was surprised though for him making a few dangerous turnovers. Granted, he played the most of the Canadian defensemen.

Karl Alzner got the most results in the offensive end, but the honour of the best defensive defenseman would go to Ryan Parent. He was rock-solid all night, sometimes the Finnish forwards were hesitant to even try to challenge him.

The most important save Carey Price made, came at the final seconds of the first period. Finland had a glorious chance to get on the board, but Price precluded the attempt with a terrific save.

Yay I'm glad to hear that Helm is making the most of his opportunity to play for Team Canada.

I have never seen a player work as hard as him to be where he is.

Good on ya buddy. Good on ya.

Talentless Practise*

About the banners.. isn't Bourdon written with the "u" in the middle?

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland

Where's the mod? This post is absolutely off topic and mocks another poster. Way to go young man (assuming you are the way your acting) you've just shown how mature you are. So you are laughing, i bet it's fun to see how someone cant get some freking was/where thing right. You know the way you started to by mocking someone and then accusing him of thinking he's better than you is really funny. Im laughing now.

Anyway back to topic; no i was not in the game but i've seen Komarov play and to me he's more defensive than Lehterä.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad