Exhibition: Aug 26 GDT - Germany vs. Finland (2-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Enough with the Teemu bashing! He is still easily a top 3 guy of Finland on the national team. Just like Russia still has Yashin, USA has Modano and the Czechs have Straka on their World cup rosters dispite of mediocre 10-15 goal seasons, Finland needs Selänne.

On another note, it's so typical that Peltonen scores against Germany while he was totally invisible against Sweden. Different lines in those games yes (Olli Jokinen is playing great at the moment), but Peltonen is the guy who is getting old and it really shows. He is simply too slow to be able to use his skills against the best opponents á la Canada, Sweden, Russia etc and be of any significant contribution for the team. Very overrated guy, I just wish he was still in the NHL, constantly being a healthy scratch, so finnish people would realize how bad he is on small rinks against the elite.

Raipe

May 25, 2004
Slime said:
Enough with the Teemu bashing! He is still easily a top 3 guy of Finland on the national team. Just like Russia still has Yashin, USA has Modano and the Czechs have Straka on their World cup rosters dispite of mediocre 10-15 goal seasons, Finland needs Selänne.

On another note, it's so typical that Peltonen scores against Germany while he was totally invisible against Sweden. Different lines in those games yes (Olli Jokinen is playing great at the moment), but Peltonen is the guy who is getting old and it really shows. He is simply too slow to be able to use his skills against the best opponents á la Canada, Sweden, Russia etc and be of any significant contribution for the team. Very overrated guy, I just wish he was still in the NHL, constantly being a healthy scratch, so finnish people would realize how bad he is on small rinks against the elite.

I think that Peltonen is most underrated player in the world right now. :teach:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Raipe said:
I'd have to agree. If I hadn't seen this year's world champs I would've agreed with Slime. I thought he had nothing left in the tank, but it looks like he has found a way to score again and I for one would like to see the Huey, Dewie and Louie line reunited, if only against Germany or something.

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
Ah...those good old days. But I have to say Peltonen is palying so well with Jokinen at the moment it would be a shame to break them up. :teach:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Eds said:
Ah...those good old days. But I have to say Peltonen is palying so well with Jokinen at the moment it would be a shame to break them up. :teach:
That's probably what they'll do....
Since they'd want Teemu to score goals on the first line

Jere - Saku - Teemu
Ville - Olli - Mikko. E/Niklas/?

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Slime said:

I don`t fully bite that before I see it on my own eyes. It`s true that Peltonen has lost some of his speed, I noticed Peltonen`s slowed skating in WChamps last year. It really did show cause I hadn`t seem him play after he left Finland. It`s true he is little soft and don`t like physical game and he surely is getting old. He may sometimes fall to shadows, when playing against physical and speedy team...... Still Peltonen is second best play maker in team Finland after Koivu. He haven`t lost his vision of the game and when ever he has room around him he is just dangerous with the puck. On big ice he can use his skill better, but he is such a good player that it wont make him useles in small rink. Well at least that is what I hope, but we will see it starting already tomorrow :) And what would Olli Jokinen be without Peltonen? He would be center who can`t make plays, can`t score cause there is nobody who would greate scoring situations for him.

Raipe said:

Most underrated by who? Sure it`s not swiss elite league players who did choose Peltonen the best player in swiss elite league last year. Sure it isn`t finnish people? Peltonen isn`t the most underrated player in the world, far away from it. He is coming to the end of his prime career in next couple of years and everyone who has played with him knows how good player he is. Also because having won scoring titles in Finland, Sweden and Switzerland he is not being underrated by anyone who follow those leagues.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
mattihp said:
Ville - Olli - Mikko. E/Niklas/?

I have a doupt about that. I did see match against German, but didn`t T.Ruutu play along side with Ville and Olli, most of the game.
So for me it looks pretty sure that Summanen will play: Peltonen-Jokinen-T.Ruutu, together.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
gib said:
I have a doupt about that. I did see match against German, but didn`t T.Ruutu play along side with Ville and Olli, most of the game.
So for me it looks pretty sure that Summanen will play: Peltonen-Jokinen-T.Ruutu, together.
I'd rather see Finland suit up a strong third line with Tuomo in the middle.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Supposed lineup for Finland against Chech aggording to mtv3

Lehtinen-S.Koivu(C)-Selänne(A)
Peltonen-Jokinen(A)-T.Ruutu
Hagman-Kapanen-Hentunen
Eloranta-M.Koivu-J.ruutu

Timonen-Numminen(A)
Niinimaa-Salo
Berg-Lydman

Kiprusoff
Lehtonen

Hmmm....Some interesting choises by Summanen. Hagman must have stood out in training camp, cause ending to lineup before Laaksonen and Nieminen.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
gib said:
Supposed lineup for Finland against Chech aggording to mtv3

Lehtinen-S.Koivu(C)-Selänne(A)
Peltonen-Jokinen(A)-T.Ruutu
Hagman-Kapanen-Hentunen
Eloranta-M.Koivu-J.ruutu

Timonen-Numminen(A)
Niinimaa-Salo
Berg-Lydman

Kiprusoff
Lehtonen

The third line will be interesting to see, lots of hustle and some skill.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
mattihp said:
The third line will be interesting to see, lots of hustle and some skill.

Yep, still I would rather have seen Laaksonen on third, because of his defensive abilitys. Now 3rd line seems little weak on their on end.

And Mikko Koivu really was a dark horse in here. Couple of weeks ago nobody would not believe that M.Koivu will be in the opening lineup.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
gib said:
Yep, still I would rather have seen Laaksonen on third, because of his defensive abilitys. Now 3rd line seems little weak on their on end.
Niko's a Selke Finalist when he's on his game...

Laaksonen would look nice there, but I think they want to see if Niklas can start scoring again. Laaksonen shoots ALOT on the national team and that could be a real good asset to the team as addition to his defensive game.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
mattihp said:
Niko's a Selke Finalist when he's on his game...

Laaksonen would look nice there, but I think they want to see if Niklas can start scoring again.

I don`t have a doupt about Niko`s defensive play, but what I am afraid is that opponents are going to out muscle that line on their own end. Hagman is somewhat bigger guy, but I wasn`t very impressed of his defensive game in WChamps. Hentunen is a great speedy sniper and plays defesively OK, but in front of own net lack of size will show.

I have bashed Hagman alot after last WChamps, but now I am hoping he finds his game. Maybe it helps that he can play with decent playmaker Kapanen, instead of Esa Pirnes.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
gib said:
Hentunen is a great speedy sniper and plays defesively OK, but in front of own net lack of size will show.
He's not much of a sniper these days, but rather Team Finland's best midfielder type that cycles the puck well and has good finishing skills merely as an extra to his game.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Padawan said:
A little OT.

I remember him talking about it in an interview. He said that he needs to get his knee repaired and if there's a lock out he just might get it over with and head to the operating table.

Aw cripes. The knee again. I was expecting him to just get it over with over the off-season, but I suppose the recovery would have knocked him out of the World Cup, huh?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
The important thing is that Summanen stuck with Peltonen-Jokinen-Ruutu. What I don't like is the third line: Kapanen and Hentunen can be failures in both ends and Hagman isn't exactly the guy to bring consistency. I would have gone with Hagman-Koivu-Laaksonen and Eloranta-Hahl-Ruutu for the checking lines. The scratching of either Nieminen or Ruutu seems sensible what with the number of penalties they have taken.

Berg dressed over Väänänen. Oh dear.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Laituri said:
Probably to get him in better shape. Reports says he's in half decent match form, Väänänen on the other hand always keeps himself in tip-top shape, always ready for action.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Laituri said:

Niinimaa dressed... oh dear. We shall see him to be tripped over by blueline - yet again. Someone remind me when was the last time Niinimaa actually played decent for national team. Surely no one remembers, if he has ever played well.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
kenabnrmal said:
Aw cripes. The knee again. I was expecting him to just get it over with over the off-season, but I suppose the recovery would have knocked him out of the World Cup, huh?

The newest article about suggested that Selänne has also trouble with his groin. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->