Excellent Atricle from the Detroit Free Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

degroat*

Excellent would be the last word I'd use to describe that article. Mr Rosenberg needs to go do a little research and find out who the lowest revenue producing teams are. If he had actually done this, he would have found out that many of the teams at the bottom were around well before Bettman, including both Alberta teams. The problems would exist with our without teams in Florida or Anaheim.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Bettman wasn't really responsible for expansion. The NHL long ago established a committee made up of members of the Board of Governors for that.

Besides, the bulk of so-called expansion teams in the league were during the John Zeigler era. The push southward happened well before Bettman arrived on the scene.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
A whole article placing blame. Wow. I've seen more intelligent rants on these boards.

I guess when theres no NHL hockey to write about, you gotta print something. But seriously, he could cut n paste posts from these boards and they would be more thought provoking.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Cawz said:
A whole article placing blame. Wow. I've seen more intelligent rants on these boards.
That's the truth, unfortunately. Pretty funny how this guy specifically blames Bettman for hockey in Florida when both franchises were already awarded before he came on board. Are we supposed to take this writer seriously?

I don't see much point in trying to place blame at this point, it doesn't change anything.

NYIsles1*

There are other teams in the red. Last season, the Wings were one of them. They lost money because they had one of the league's highest payrolls -- an admirable attempt to win the Stanley Cup, but their choice.
What the writer fails to understand is every team in the league is paying for that choice because it drives up the player market.

There is nothing admirable about overspending to buy what he cannot build. Wings fans rely on Illich grabbing free agents so much now when it ends he is going to have an empty building that already is too old to produce revenue.

Seems like all the writers of teams that overspend want no part of a cap because they would have less star players to write about and have to work much harder to cover their teams. They know a luxury tax gives Mike Illich an opening to overspend and want to keep that option open.

Fans in Detroit are not going to pay these prices to see prospects and rebuilding or the Wings forced to operate as everyone else, one look at Comerica Park is proof of that.

degroat*

Sotnos said:
That's the truth, unfortunately. Pretty funny how this guy specifically blames Bettman for hockey in Florida when both franchises were already awarded before he came on board. Are we supposed to take this writer seriously?

You know... I never really thought about that. It looks like the only cities granted teams under Bettman's watch are Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, and Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad