ex-Halifax Mooseheads at the time of their draft

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Remembering the hype surrounding each of those highly touted prospects going through the Halifax Mooseheads organisation in the last few years (I purposefully removed MacKinnon since he was touted as "the next one"), who would you think would have been picked first if they had to be drafted in the same year?

... Try to remove of the equation their subsequent career and focus on their draft year/the hype that was surrounding them.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Just speaking in generals, I remember how exciting it was to have Voracek crack the top 10 in the NHL draft since prior the biggest player in the league to play for us was Giguere or Tanguay. And then Bobby Smith joined the Mooseheads organization and since then it's been Frk, Konrad Abeltshauser (Who I thought had good potential), MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale, Weegar, Ehlers, Meier, Hischier, Somppi, Zadina, Groulx and McIsaac. So whatever scouting Bobby brought with him has been tremendous the last few years when I never thought I'd see the day where a Moosehead went #1 let alone 2 (and also 2 first overalls from my neighboring Cole Harbour)

As far as all of the initial question on whom I would take and excluding MacKinnon. Who would go first overall? Using the list above, I think based on watching them play here at the time it would be Drouin. He was very close to MacKinnon on most nights (Kind of like a Auston Matthews-Mitch Marner scenario where Marner will impress you more with his skill, flash and vision but you still walk away knowing Matthews is the better player and the player you would take between the two).

Reactions: Fixxer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just speaking in generals, I remember how exciting it was to have Voracek crack the top 10 in the NHL draft since prior the biggest player in the league to play for us was Giguere or Tanguay. And then Bobby Smith joined the Mooseheads organization and since then it's been Frk, Konrad Abeltshauser (Who I thought had good potential), MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale, Weegar, Ehlers, Meier, Hischier, Somppi, Zadina, Groulx and McIsaac. So whatever scouting Bobby brought with him has been tremendous the last few years when I never thought I'd see the day where a Moosehead went #1 let alone 2 (and also 2 first overalls from my neighboring Cole Harbour)

As far as all of the initial question on whom I would take and excluding MacKinnon. Who would go first overall? Using the list above, I think based on watching them play here at the time it would be Drouin. He was very close to MacKinnon on most nights (Kind of like a Auston Matthews-Mitch Marner scenario where Marner will impress you more with his skill, flash and vision but you still walk away knowing Matthews is the better player and the player you would take between the two).
The exciting part is there are players on the team now that should continue this. Lavoie and Parent next year and Barron in 2020 all have extremely good chances of being 1st round selections.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Seems like the Mooseheads do great with their euro picks. I wonder if their is some under the table stuff going on there(I always assume some CHL teams will tell euro players tell other teams you don't want to go come over here then we will draft you and give you some cash under the table. I am looking at you London)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Drouin would have gone ahead of them all, his offensive skill was something most scouts hadn't seen from a 17 year old since Crosby in the Q, his pro career has been a disappointment but without the benefit of knowing what happens I think almost anyone takes him before any other pre draft Moosehead other than MacKinnon.

Reactions: Habs4Life

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Remembering the hype surrounding each of those highly touted prospects going through the Halifax Mooseheads organisation in the last few years (I purposefully removed MacKinnon since he was touted as "the next one"), who would you think would have been picked first if they had to be drafted in the same year?

... Try to remove of the equation their subsequent career and focus on their draft year/the hype that was surrounding them.

Do you have a list to look

BTW

I do not remember ANY team from the Q in the last 20 years or so that was viewed as being stacked

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I will always remember Nagy in his first and only year with the Mooseheads, 71 damn goals man. It still blows my mind that he had such a pathetic NHL career. I don't think he ever missed a shot that year haha.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I will always remember Nagy in his first and only year with the Mooseheads, 71 damn goals man. It still blows my mind that he had such a pathetic NHL career. I don't think he ever missed a shot that year haha.

A year over a ppg and a couple other years around a ppg plus 430 games played really isn't a pathetic NHL career. He went overseas to make some more money and get himself better after his injury but decided to stay. He's still a solid player after 10 years removed from the NHL.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Each NHL team has had a player from the Halifax Mooseheads play for them. That's pretty damn impressive. It's like they're always meant to be a good junior hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad