Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread Part II All Talk Here..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Should the Bruin's have used their money on Lucic and not Backes? Krecji needs a left wing and Lucic is 28.
Marchand Bergeron Pasternik
Lucic Krecji Vatrano

Lucic is an infuriating player,capable of so much more. I think he has mellowed and I also believe that he's not a naturally tough player,he has to want to,and it's not enough. The Backes signing was a stupid signing,based on what they lost and what they thought they'd gain. Between the 2,I'd take Lucic.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Remember when the Bruins bought out Patrick Eaves without ever playing a single game for them?

52GP 19G 14A 33 PTS

(I know this was a LONG time ago), but damn, talk about restoring your career.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And Connolly scores again.

That's 11 for him now.

Same as Backes, in less games. For 1/7 the price.

Czarnik, Hayes, Nash, and Belesky have 12 between the four of them. At a combined cap hit of about 8 million.

It's a good thing they couldn't be bothered to even give him a qualifying offer.

Maybe they did and it got stuck in the fax machine.

Reactions: Strafer

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Dougie still doing dopey things gets thumped by broadcaster;

If you don't rip Dougie Hamilton, I will. Stupidest ****ing penalty you can take," an announcer said into a microphone he believed was off.

"Does he have a ****ing brain? He doesn't. He's stupid as ****."

The Calgary Flames lost to the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in Game 2 of their first round playoff series on Saturday night.

The comments appear to have been made after the game ended.

Andrew Bucholtz, writing for the Awful Announcing sports blog, lays out some theories.

"Voice two appears to be colour analyst John Garrett," Bucholtz writes, referring to the second broadcaster interacting with the man who dropped all the F-bombs.

"It's only the first voice that does, and his identity isn't clear. Some might think it's play-by-play man Rick Ball, who was working the game with Garrett, but it doesn't really sound like him."

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Dougie still doing dopey things gets thumped by broadcaster;

If you don't rip Dougie Hamilton, I will. Stupidest ****ing penalty you can take," an announcer said into a microphone he believed was off.

"Does he have a ****ing brain? He doesn't. He's stupid as ****."

The Calgary Flames lost to the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in Game 2 of their first round playoff series on Saturday night.

The comments appear to have been made after the game ended.

Andrew Bucholtz, writing for the Awful Announcing sports blog, lays out some theories.

"Voice two appears to be colour analyst John Garrett," Bucholtz writes, referring to the second broadcaster interacting with the man who dropped all the F-bombs.

"It's only the first voice that does, and his identity isn't clear. Some might think it's play-by-play man Rick Ball, who was working the game with Garrett, but it doesn't really sound like him."

That's interesting, didn't know that one of them was unidentified. Brad Treliving popping by for a chat? :sarcasm: :laugh:

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
woah just realized at age 44 Jozef Stumpel is still playin hockey in Slovakia

pretty cool! Was still putting up great numbers 2 years back too

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Have we missed the one that got away ... Matt Benning getting big minutes in big games of late

Matt Benning was drafted by the organization when his uncle was AGM and Chia was GM. He also played in the USHL for the team that Chia owns. Benning used a loophole to leave Northeastern after his junior season and I don't believe that once Jim Benning and Chia were gone he had any intention of signing with Boston.

It doesn't count as "getting away" when he was never really here to begin with. **** him and the horse he rode in on...

:laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Matt Benning was drafted by the organization when his uncle was AGM and Chia was GM. He also played in the USHL for the team that Chia owns. Benning used a loophole to leave Northeastern after his junior season and I don't believe that once Jim Benning and Chia were gone he had any intention of signing with Boston.

It doesn't count as "getting away" when he was never really here to begin with. **** him and the horse he rode in on...

:laugh:

Just a little surprising that flies under the radar as people talk of possibly losing college players they drafted to free agency. The kids a player for sure and never really made it on most people's radar as a prospect for us. Would have been nice to have him in the mix this year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just a little surprising that flies under the radar as people talk of possibly losing college players they drafted to free agency. The kids a player for sure and never really made it on most people's radar as a prospect for us. Would have been nice to have him in the mix this year.

Benning was a 6th round pick, and a nice player at Northeastern, but as I already pointed out, he had no ties to the current FO. It's like when a college player commits to a school and then the coach gets canned. A lot of times, those guys transfer.

Once Chia left, Benning was not signing in Boston.

Period.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Benning was a 6th round pick, and a nice player at Northeastern, but as I already pointed out, he had no ties to the current FO. It's like when a college player commits to a school and then the coach gets canned. A lot of times, those guys transfer.

Once Chia left, Benning was not signing in Boston.

Period.

I hear you, but Sweeney has made a pointed effort to sign the college guys who were drafted under the previous FO. Hell, guys like Bjork and Donato were drafted under Chia, haven't signed and we don't expect them to "transfer". Its too bad he was unable to do the same with Benning, because the kid looks like a real player. The way it looks from here is that they didn't project him to become what it looks like he is, if they had I'd hope they would have done more to keep him in the mix.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
our old friend bret connolly due to hit free agency

for those that got worried he had become something special in washington... they refuse to qualify him at 900k

the story is they might still sign him but goes to show maybe we didnt lose anything special when we let him go too.

for the record im still ok we gambled on reclamation project 2 years ago... but now hes 2 years older and hasnt improved. hes no longer a kid with upside. too bad. I liked him ok... for his sake i hope he hangs around a few more years but it shows our talent guys get it right sometimes when they figure who we need to keep and who we can live without

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
also on the list is landon ferraro who i thought looked ok here in his limited duty... and jordan caron who i still am surprised never got himself a regular gig.

one guy on the list id be willing to gamble on for a minimum salary is nail yakupov out of st louis. his qualifyer number was insane. id be willing to let him compete for the wing spot next to krejci but would have to be a 1 year deal at no more than a million

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What a waste of a draft pick, or was it two draft picks?

All you had to do was watch his highlights to see that he needed longer than Nathan Horton and Michael Ryder combined to get his shot off.

Pro scouting has been the achilles heel of this organization for 5 years. The only things they can find are 4th liners.

I mean, who was the last good top-4 defenseman/top-six forward signing/trade they made? Seidenburg?

The Kempainens, Bourques, Gagnes, Rinaldos, Beleskys and Meszaros have been the differences between success and failure for this franchise. I have no faith in what they'll do on July 1.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They are going to re-sign him. Qualifying offers aren't the end of the world

thanks dom... slipped my mind hes arbitration eligible. by not qualifying him they take arbitration out of the box

but... he could still go to ufa now.

sort of same situation we face with spooner. will we not qualify him i wonder? i guess our list hasnt been released yet?

still... not qualifying someone... risking free agency to avoid arbitration... tells you a guy isnt one of your core guys

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i think dom mentioned we prob cant walkaway from spooner a few weeks ago... i just tried to research the rules and its at least 3.5 mill before you can walkaway... probably higher

can never walkaway if club elects arbitration

my gut feeling is spooner wont be qualified based on not being able to walkaway and my other gut feeling that he gets 3 mill from arbitrator

interesting i was reading a news story on clark macarthur arbitration case when atlanta walked away... they didnt even bother to argue... told arbitrator give him his riduclous number and then poof away they walked

that was same year chicago walked from anti nimi.

only rememberance i have of boston walking from a high profile guy is when we said no to dimitri khristichev

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

little strange they couldnt get this done before being forced to release qualifyer tender. if connolly camp was unwilling... you wonder why they didnt wait for ufa...

im guessing washington must have been the side to give in as the clock got to close to midnight

all in all... a little strange i feel

now feels like clock ticks on us for spooner. can we get him for less than per 2.5 if we offer him 2 years? do we want him at 2.5?

hes much better than connolly imho... certainly cant see him agreeing to 1.5

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I was as vocal as anyone about how much I hated the Seguin trade. I thought it was a disaster from the moment it happened.

And somehow even I underestimated how terrible it really was.

What a ****ing nightmare.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I was as vocal as anyone about how much I hated the Seguin trade. I thought it was a disaster from the moment it happened.

And somehow even I underestimated how terrible it really was.

What a ****ing nightmare.

Really one of the worst trades in any sport in a long time. I actually liked it at the time. That's why I'm not a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->