Evgenii Malkin interview on RussianProspects.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
Evgenii Malkin interview

RussianProspects.com posted an interview with Malkin. You got to be a member of the site to view it, which I am. It's pretty interesting. He talks about his season, the gold medal at the U18 WJC, what went wrong with Russia's squad at the U20 WJC, a little bit about Zherdev's departure from Russia and a bunch of other stuff.

Here is a link: http://www.russianprospects.com/public/article.php?link_id=184

Last edited:

db23

Malkin scored at close to the same rate as Ovechkin in the RSL and he is nearly a full year younger. :amazed:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
db23 said:
Malkin scored at close to the same rate as Ovechkin in the RSL and he is nearly a full year younger. :amazed:

A lot of players actually outscored Ovechkin! :D

Last edited:

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
Yeah - they both got outscored by a bunch of guys, but still did very well on their respective clubs. At this age it's also not how much you score, but how you play. These guys play mean, aggressive, but also creative hockey. Some of the top scorers in Russia a lot softer than these two characters!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There's also some interesting reading in the latest RLR where they state their opinion of how slim the gap between Ovechkin and Malkin is- citing Malkin's rapid development rate and his age.

It's just one source's opinion, of course.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Caps and Pens should both be happy, both players sound to be something to be excited about. From the Pen's board that Redline report was out and quoted before it was quoted in the article attached here so it is not just a homer paper mouthing up our likely pick, there seems to be more and more real legitimacy in the 'Malkin has really come on this year' camp, though AO will remain the consensus number one and rightly so. Hopefully both will pan out just as we have been reading . . . AO pushing the Caps to bigger and better things and Malkin right there with him . . . I could easily see both among the top ten players in the NHL at some point (though that potential thing does not always work out of course, either one or both could wash out too). I still expect the Caps to continue to lose to the Pens in the playoffs of course (I am a Pen's fan afterall), but both players seem to be just what the Caps and Pens most need. Hey a lockout losing the whole year and a 50/50 chance for the Pens to add Crosby too. Malkin, Mario, Crosby and Fleury down the middle. I am liking the sound of that.

*and ducks once more, as he did on the pen's board, before the inevitable happens, Foppa and others noticing this post and running him over to erect the mandatory AO shrine whenever Malkin is mentioned, especially when compared to AO*

CH Wizard

Soyuz said:
The two guys are very different players, it's tough to compare them.....

agreed Ovechkin is the complete package smart,can score ,strong, can play physicall , Malkin can score but he is not the complete package he has some tremendous offensive skills but in defense he is not very good that why Ovechkin is the #1 and Malkin #2

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
thegreatone said:
agreed Ovechkin is the complete package smart,can score ,strong, can play physicall , Malkin can score but he is not the complete package he has some tremendous offensive skills but in defense he is not very good that why Ovechkin is the #1 and Malkin #2
Is it possible that Ovechkin is the concensus #1 to many based on his maturity and complete play moreso than pure offensive ability? I'd take someone whose pretty well-rounded with amazing offensive ability (Lemieux) over one who's not as good but not as good offensively but well-rounded anyday (Peter Forsberg).

Point is that maybe since AO is so well rounded, some of the hype he is recieving has alot to do with his mature all around play rather than pure offensive ability.

I don't know if I agree with that, but its interesting to throw it out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->