Evgeni Malkin vs Peter Forsberg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't get this overrated two way play stuff. If offense not one of the two ways? Forsberg finished 2nd a 4th in Selke voting while being a top notch offensive player. I hate how you somehow have to be a multiple Selke winner to be a good two-way player.

I think the above basically puts to rest any notion of Malkin being a superior offensive player, they were even at best, and defense is the tie breaker here. I expect Malkin to put up several more elite seasons so I admit he will likely win this comparison in the end as an all time player.

I'd love to be able to have the advanced stats for Forsberg's prime. He wasn't as good strictly defensively, but I think possession and GF% numbers would show him tilting the ice similarly to Datsyuk

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
Both dominant players who have struggled with consistently staying in the lineup. But even with this Malkin has still accomplished more so I'll have to say Malkin. It's close though.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I would argue Malkin is just as romanticized due to being part of the "big 3" since the lockout that many recent fans assume he's better without actually looking at the numbers

That's ridiculous. If he's not part of the big three ovechkin isn't either. Malkin is ALWAYS in the running for best player in the NHL. Please present these numbers.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
That's ridiculous. If he's not part of the big three ovechkin isn't either. Malkin is ALWAYS in the running for best player in the NHL. Please present these numbers.

Lol, they are both part of the big 3 but Malkin has a much weaker case.

Hart Finalist: 5-3, Ovechkin
Top 10: 7-3, Ovechkin
Top 15: 9-3, Ovechkin

06/07: not even close
07/08: Ovechkin was clearly better
08/09: Ovechkin was better
09/10: not even close
10/11: not even close
11/12: 100% the best
12/13: not even close
13/14: Crosby was clearly better
14/15: not even close
15/16: not even close
16/17: McDavid and Crosby were better

Please show how Malkin is ALWAYS in the running for best player in the NHL?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

You misunderstood. I never said he wasn't. But because those three came into the league within a year of each other and have been propped up as the best for a generation and Forsberg wasn't in part of a similar group it gets wrongly assumed by some that he wasn't at a similar level above his peers, when statistically he was.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
You misunderstood. I never said he wasn't. But because those three came into the league within a year of each other and have been propped up as the best for a generation and Forsberg wasn't in part of a similar group it gets wrongly assumed by some that he wasn't at a similar level above his peers, when statistically he was.

Ahh, excuse me then. I can understand that and I agree.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You had to go into a thread about center duos, eh?

There are plenty of examples in all kinds of Peter Forsberg related threads. I can post more of them if you'd like?

I just figured my post was starting to look like a wall of text, and that you'd gotten the point...

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Can we talk about how Crosby/Forsberg are/were up against the strongest defensive and forward lines while Malkin/Sakic faced teams secondary pairings and non shutdown forward lines?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Can we talk about how Crosby/Forsberg are/were up against the strongest defensive and forward lines while Malkin/Sakic faced teams secondary pairings and non shutdown forward lines?

It's obvious for Crosby/Malkin, but not so much for Sakic/Forsberg. I think Forsberg generally faced tougher matchups, but not 100% sure.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Malkin had his best season when Crosby was injured, in fact he always plays better when he faces top competition. So strike that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin had his best season when Crosby was injured, in fact he always plays better when he faces top competition. So strike that.

But his PPG during that season was higher when Crosby was in the lineup.

As to the original point, I think the #1C and #2C role is much clearer for Crosby/Malkin than it is for Forsberg/Sakic where it seemed it was a shared #1C role.

I would give Forsberg a slight edge over Malkin in this regard but only to the extent of being a tiebreaker if their offensive resumes are similar, which seems to be the case.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

It's just a myth that Forsberg faces the top defense pairing/defensive lines all the time. Col vs Van in 1996 and 2001 in the playoffs. It was Linden out against Sakic and Ohlund in 2001. Those 2 plays against top lines all the times. However I do remember in Dal series it was Hatcher against Forsberg and Hatcher was top pairing shut down guys. It really depends on the year and team as well. Some people on this forum think Sakic is better and some think Forsberg. Same with the 29 other coaches. Don't tell me the 29 other coaches all feel Forsberg is better and play there top shut down guys against Forsberg.

If I had to pick Forsberg probably face top guys a little bit more but to be honest It's not even much of a difference to use that as an argument on why Forsberg is better than Sakic.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
It's just a myth that Forsberg faces the top defense pairing/defensive lines all the time. Col vs Van in 1996 and 2001 in the playoffs. It was Linden out against Sakic and Ohlund in 2001. Those 2 plays against top lines all the times. However I do remember in Dal series it was Hatcher against Forsberg and Hatcher was top pairing shut down guys. It really depends on the year and team as well. Some people on this forum think Sakic is better and some think Forsberg. Same with the 29 other coaches. Don't tell me the 29 other coaches all feel Forsberg is better and play there top shut down guys against Forsberg.

If I had to pick Forsberg probably face top guys a little bit more but to be honest It's not even much of a difference to use that as an argument on why Forsberg is better than Sakic.

Forsberg was injured in 2001. In 1996 he was a second year player while Sakic was an established star so there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->