Everyone's opinion on K.Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nhl's Conscience

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
My question for anyone out there is on K.Lehtonen.....Has anyone's opinion on him soured since his conditioning seems a little suspect at this point?? Is the general consensus on him still that he will eventually become a franchise goaltender?......Does anyone think that he has Luongo-type upside??

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Nothing in his actual play (AHL and NHL) has disspelled the hype he has received, but at some point he has to stay healthy.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
He has some sort of tension in his hips which has caused the groin problems. Once they get rid of the problem, he should be fine.

And yeah I see a Luongo upside in him, or actually even higher.

He'll be fine.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
was the best goalie in the AHL last year until he ran into Antero Niittymaki and the Philadelphia Phantoms in the Calder Final.
Lehtonen needs to get healthy and stay healthy thou to get an honest opinion of him thou, that might be a tough injury to recover from this year that he has right now.(groin)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
psycho_dad said:
He has some sort of tension in his hips which has caused the groin problems. Once they get rid of the problem, he should be fine.

He'll be fine.
This is semi OT, but I know you see a lot of Finnish prospects, and since we're talking about Finnish goalies...

What do you think of Pekka Rinne? He's been one of the best in the AHL this year, 1.76 GAA and almost 94 percent save percentage. He was a relative unknown even to Preds fans until he had an awesome training camp and now seems to have stolen Brian Finley's job in Milwaukee. Most Admirals fans feel he's been by far the MVP of the team(that has now won 7 games in a row) and that he has a better chance of being Vokoun's successor than Finley.

X-SHARKIE

nomorekids said:
This is semi OT, but I know you see a lot of Finnish prospects, and since we're talking about Finnish goalies...

What do you think of Pekka Rinne? He's been one of the best in the AHL this year, 1.76 GAA and almost 94 percent save percentage. He was a relative unknown even to Preds fans until he had an awesome training camp and now seems to have stolen Brian Finley's job in Milwaukee. Most Admirals fans feel he's been by far the MVP of the team(that has now won 7 games in a row) and that he has a better chance of being Vokoun's successor than Finley.

I'm taking notes on him tomorow actually in Chicago. I'll let Nashville fans know when they're up.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lundqvist now > Lehtonen, eh? . . . ;)

..... or that will soon be the 'consensus' here anyways . . . or how about even more ironically MAF, who has the advantage of being 'unfairly sent down' . . . isn't that how these boards work where you are only as good as your last month?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
psycho_dad said:

He'll be fine.
Well Luongo's upside is still technically unknown, he is going to get better than what he is now.
Lehtonen is the best Goaltending prospect in a long time, his upsides are obviously franchise Goaltender. I wouldnt worry too much about his injuries yet, and theres not one goaltending prospect id take over Kari.

Oilers1*

He'll be the Pavel Bure of goaltenders. . .absolutely brilliant but unable to stay healthy.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Problem is: Lehtonen has played ... what ... 4 games in the NHL ?

He played phenomenal the last 2 seasons, but we'll have to wait to see what he can do at NHL level over a long period. He certainly has the talent to be a franchise goalie.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the jury's still out. While he has all the makings of a great goaltender at the NHL level he hasn't proven anything. Like all players I think he'll need a full season or two before we can get an accurate read on him.

X-SHARKIE

Rabid Ranger said:
I think the jury's still out. While he has all the makings of a great goaltender at the NHL level he hasn't proven anything. Like all players I think he'll need a full season or two before we can get an accurate read on him.

Usually I would agree, but i've seen enough of him to not only know he can play in the NHL, but be dominant.

A long career though and a go to guy? We'll see, it's all health with Kari.

Talent and Mentally, he's ready to be a star..... needs to condition him self better.

Transported Upstater

Haven't seen him on the ice enough to make an educated comment.

What I have seen has impressed me.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I think he is pretending to be injured because he knows Crosby and Ovechkin are better rookies and he has a better chance at the Calder next year.

thrash27

Sep 14, 2004
I like how the Thrashers are dealing with his injury. They arnt rush him back. He could have bin back playing already. The Thrashers are pacient and taking there time making shure this dosent happen again.

AgentNaslund*

hes gonna be a star in the leauge one day. But Injury prone at such a young age, means, injury prone his entire career. Im not saying hes always gonna get injured, just saying, he will get injured rather easily. Things will only get worst. He has to stay healthy.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Before this season everybody was expecting him to carry the Thrashers into the playoffs. It's good that nobody's saying that anymore.

He's a fantastic prospect but he's no Luongo.

Just throwing out ideas here, but I think it might be because he's only played one game so far this season. Radical, I know, but we have to start somewhere.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
TK79 said:
I don't understand why everyone is suddenly calling Lehts injury-prone? He's hasn't missed any major time because of injury before this fall in Finland or the AHL.. :dunno:

It's the favourite chant in the HFboards. If a player has two injuries in a row, even though they were his first ones, and the reason behind them was found and worked on, everyone just loves to call them injury prone. It's an easy way to undermine someone, without having to actually prove anything.

You are absolutely right. He has not been suffering from injuries before.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
nomorekids said:

He was very solid in Finland too when ever he got to play. I think he can become a starter in the NHL but right now he is quite low in the finnish goalie prospect list. Never really got to see him that much because he was always the 2nd goalie behind one of the best goalies in the finnish league, but now it's his time to show what he has. Glad to hear he is doing well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad