Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Kirk- NEHJ said:
Boston Bruins:

1. Legitimate No. 2 scoring center
2. Scoring prowess and toughness on the wings
3. Skilled offensive defenseman

Wha? It seems to me the Bruins have 1 (Patrice Bergeron), and 3 (Boynton, Jillson, Girard, Jurcina, Morrisonn). No?

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
icarus said:
Wha? It seems to me the Bruins have 1 (Patrice Bergeron), and 3 (Boynton, Jillson, Girard, Jurcina, Morrisonn). No?

Let me elaborate-

Bergeron hasn't spent much time at center this season, and has done well on the wing. Does he have the upside to be the team's second-line C? Yes, he does. But, he's also proven that he can be a fine winger as well.

So, if a center with even more upside is available when the Bruins pick, why not go after him, and utilize Bergeron on the wing for the future? The B's could use a long term answer at the pivot, one who complements Joe Thornton better than Bergeron does at this point.

As for defense, Jillson and Morrisonn have potential, as does Lars Jonsson, but Milan Jurcina won't be much of an offensive presence. The B's have enough physical, defense-first prospects, and could use more players with pure speed and offensive instincts from the blue line to serve as longer term project picks to round out the organization.

I think most would say that the Bruins' real need is on the wings, but if they can land that elusive solid No. 2 centerman and keep Bergeron on the wing, with others like Vladislav Evseev, Masi Marjamaki and Byron Bitz on the long term burner, then Boston will truly have solid organizational depth at every position.

As well as Bergeron has played, they have virtually no natural center prospects, but do have a couple of nice wingers in the system, so if there is one of the top centers available, I'd think that the Boston scouts would go in that direction first.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Fighter said:
Jiggy, Gerber and Bryzgalov are not enough? :dunno:

That's 3 goalies, Anaheim only has 4 under contract.
Look around the league, most teams have 4 prospect netminders. They don't need another #1 or anything, but some depth behind the 2 NHL guys and the 2 AHL guys would be nice.
What happens if one of the goalies gets injured? Doesn't matter who or where, but the organization is SOL if anyone is injured.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
Birko19 said:
the Wings are in need of a Power Forward type of player, sombody who can crash the net hard and put the puck in, somone who's a physical force out there, somone who's not afraid of dropping the gloves (optional).

as another Wings fan, i can gladly say that they have lots of power/gritty forwards.....Kirk Maltby, Thomas Holmstrom, Darren McCarty, Kris Draper, oh ya - BRENDAN SHANAHAN...

although Nash would be a nice looking wing...they dont need a guy like him with all of the other youngsters theyve got coming up (Hudler, Fleischmann, Filpulla, Mowers, Bootland)

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Tough call for the Thrashers--since we need upgrades everywhere. But in terms of priorities:

1. centerman: scoring, play making variety.
2. Blue chip forward prospects (of all types).
3. Play-making, PP quarterbacking, right-handed shooting defenseman.
4. Another goaltender (can't ever have enough).

Well that pretty much covers it :D

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
MentalPowerHouse said:
It doesn't matter what a time needs, they should draft on talent.

Maybe you missed the question, which was "what type of player does your team need in their system?" Prospects can be acquired through trades too, just so you know.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
studley49 said:
as another Wings fan, i can gladly say that they have lots of power/gritty forwards.....Kirk Maltby, Thomas Holmstrom, Darren McCarty, Kris Draper, oh ya - BRENDAN SHANAHAN...

although Nash would be a nice looking wing...they dont need a guy like him with all of the other youngsters theyve got coming up (Hudler, Fleischmann, Filpulla, Mowers, Bootland)

My question was not what they need now, but what they need in their system which is for the future.

The way I see it, Shanny doesn't even play a Power Forward game anymore, he just floats around the ice and waits for a chance to score, and he should thank God he has the talent to do so or else he'll be pretty worthless now.

Future wise, the closest thing we have as a power forward is Igor Grigorenko, and he's not one, he's a gritty winger who plays a sniper type of game, we need a guy with size that's going to be a physical force out there (First line power forward), that's why I would love it if we had a Rick Nash type of player, he seems to be the perfect future power forward, or a player like Nather Horton or Anthony Stewart would also be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->