Even Strength Production vs Powerplay Production

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I'm curious. As history enthusiasts, do you value even strength production more important than powerplay production throughout history or when making player to player comparisons?

Say for example "with everything else being equal", with total point scored and toi being the obvious must haves:

Player A: 50% points production PP/50% at even strength

Player B: 40% points production PP/60% at even strength

Player C: 30% points production PP/70% at even strength

Would you value these players different? How would rank them if you do.

I wanted to see what you guys thought about the above scenario and situations/overall context. I know this isn't the only factor in the comparison, but I'm interested in many opinions here.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think it's important to look at, but I don't think a PP goal is more or less valuable than a EV goal. I think it speaks to how a player is used, though.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I tend to agree that goals are goals but even strength play is probably a trump card if everything was equal but this is almost never actually the case. Player, team and league context is always different and is probably a larger factor when comparing 2 players with similar stats IMO

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I tend to agree that goals are goals but even strength play is probably a trump card if everything was equal but this is almost never actually the case. Player, team and league context is always different and is probably a larger factor when comparing 2 players with similar stats IMO

That's what I was thinking, but wanted 2nd opinions. Say 2 people are similarly all around and production wise, but 1 scored the vast majority of their points at even strength and the other 50% on the PP, you would say the guy that scores most of his points without a man advantage is a step up, all things else being equal.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i think your PP will improve drastically if your guy scores 50% of his goals there, assuming its a ~30-40 goal scorer, just boosts your confidence so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad