Even-Strength Monsters

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, Risebrough was the classic young coach who worries about his authority ("I'm like a boss!") more than good team management, consequently screwing over The Flames. Cliff Fletcher loved Gilmour, and Risebrough loved Nieuwendyk. Both good players, but if the Flames were smart, they would have found a way to keep both (or at least not trade Gilmour for Leeman... Yikes!).

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's not just 93-94. Jagr was always exceptional at even strength. In Mario's last two Art Ross years, Jagr was already outscoring him at even strength. And I believe it was just 5 years ago he was 1st or 2nd in ESP but nowhere near the leaders in total points.

He was tied for 7th in ES points in 15-16, despite being 21st in total points. At 5v5 he was 4th, only 1 back of Crosby and Kuznetsov. He also played fewer minutes, so he actually led the league in 5v5 P/60, and was 3rd in ES P/60 behind McDavid and Kane. All at 43. Though I think he was a little reliant on Barkov getting him the puck in order to do his thing at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad