Even Bob Mckenzie says Canada should have won last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
but that gold medal was Canada's until Team Canada choked
Actually, they don't award medals until after the game is finished.

Canada choked, but the Americans won. A lesser team wouldn't have come back like they did. The Americans were very, very talented. In fact, they were the favorites heading into the tournament according to many, though losing Howard to injury caused some to wonder since Montoya was quite young.

I don't think this type of insular debate helps. Canada should be focusing on how to beat the Russians and Americans this time around, not what they would've done differently against a team that isn't coming back to the tournament in the same form. I'm sure the Americans are focusing on how they will beat the Canadians and Russians this time around, and that the Russians are doing the same.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
saskhab said:

Canada choked, but the Americans won. A lesser team wouldn't have come back like they did. The Americans were very, very talented. In fact, they were the favorites heading into the tournament according to many, though losing Howard to injury caused some to wonder since Montoya was quite young.

I don't think this type of insular debate helps. Canada should be focusing on how to beat the Russians and Americans this time around, not what they would've done differently against a team that isn't coming back to the tournament in the same form. I'm sure the Americans are focusing on how they will beat the Canadians and Russians this time around, and that the Russians are doing the same.

saskhab's infinite wisdom transcends all messageboards :handclap: :yo:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
saskhab said:

LOL, if we concentrate real hard on these boards our team will do better?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Bottom line: The game is 3 periods. The winner is decided after ALL 3 periods... not after two. They didn't finish off the US... that's there fault. It's not some incredible miracle.

The US took it to them in the 3rd, and came out on top. Like it or not thats the way it is. That is how the game is played. The way that last goal went in sucked for Canada, but it could just have easily been scored a different way as the US just peppered Fleury. Stop complaining already and just root them on this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Barnaby said:
Bottom line: The game is 3 periods. The winner is decided after ALL 3 periods... not after two. They didn't finish off the US... that's there fault. It's not some incredible miracle.

The US took it to them in the 3rd, and came out on top. Like it or not thats the way it is. That is how the game is played. The way that last goal went in sucked for Canada, but it could just have easily been scored a different way as the US just peppered Fleury.
I do recall at least one eye-popping save by Fleury in that period.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
HabLover said:
In a recent interview with ISS, Bob Mckenzie says Canada should have won last year against the USA.

He said that because they were up 3-1 in the 3rd period. I distinctly remember him saying last year that most people had considered the USA the favorites to win last year and the reason it was so crushing for Canada to lose was because they were up 3-1 in the 3rd period. Any team should win any game with a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period. If you ask the experts from last year, the final result, USA getting Gold and Canada getting Silver was the way it was supposed to go, regardless of any events during the actual game.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Of course Canada should have won, they were clearly superior on paper on all areas. They didn't win because they didn't play up to their potential while team USA did that. Does that make team USA not deserving? Hell no, a better team on ice wins the games, not the better team on paper.

Canada should have won based on their huge talent superiority but fortunately games are still decided on the ice.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
nomorekids said:
saskhab's infinite wisdom transcends all messageboards :handclap: :yo:
And the Jodie Sweetin Project will never be forgotten. :bow:

You may not be a mod after one of Cali's many re-constructions, but OTP would still welcome you back, nomorekids. I know you've got a sweet gig with the big boys, but you're still NMK from the block, aren't you? :lol

So, bottom line: last year, USA won gold by scoring more goals than Canada in the final. Also, last year was, you know, 12 months ago. Let's get on with our lives.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
wilka91 said:
I feel that Russia should have won its third in a row last year. I believe all of Canada feels the same about Canada.

Russia lost to a team (Finland), because Russia wasn't a team (at all), while Finland was a great team (on the ice, not paper).

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Personally, I don't understand the concept of 'should have won.' ... perhaps you could explain it to me...

Because every time I have watched a game, the eventual winner won because a series of occurences took place that alowed them to win the game. That could be poor goaltending on the opposing side, poor coaching, or an overwhelming spirit in the winning team... it doesn't matter.

To say a team 'should have won' is to deny the realism of linear time, and negate any results before and after the game.

The Canadian team 'should have' lost, because they did lose. The American team 'should have won' because they did win. To deny that would also be denying every hockey victory you hold close to yourself.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
jericholic19 said:
i think its obvious who dropped the ball (err...the puck) last year that cost Canada gold. i feel bad for the guy because of the great deal of pressure he'd been dealing with at the time. but canada lost because him for the most part.
Exactly,Brent Burns but I don't feel bad for him.He didn't just make one little
mistake, he sucked the whole game.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
eh. you should all know as hockey fans that your team never gets beat by the other team. Your team beat themselves and gives the win to the other team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MrMastodonFarm said:
How long have you been sitting on that gold mine of information Professor? :lol

Probably for about as long as HabLover has been stewing over Canada's LOSS in last year's gold medal game.

Last edited:

espo*

Fish on The Sand said:
Canada is the buffalo bills of junior hockey
We've won tons of gold medals so that statement is about as innapropriate as can be.

Reilly311

cyclops said:
We've won tons of gold medals so that statement is about as innapropriate as can be.

any mental sports fan who has knowledge of both the NFL and World Juniors would realize he means in the past couple years. :speechles

espo*

Reilly311 said:
any mental sports fan who has knowledge of both the NFL and World Juniors would realize he means in the past couple years. :speechles

I realise that's what he means but he's still wrong isn't he? to have that statement be true would mean we would have had to have fallen flat on our face in all world juniors with no sucess but that's far from being the truth isn't it? You can try to twist this any way you want and knowing your history of Canada hating we know you will try but the fact remains we have the type of sucess you can only wish for your hockey team....that's what you don't like. Hopefully you can "mentally" deal with that but it seems from every post you make that it's not possible for you.Now,go hump someone else's leg or get a grip around here.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
In the history of Junior hockey Canada has won 20 medals, Russia has won 22...USA has won 4. The Buffalo Bills of WJC hockey? No way.

History tends to repeat itself (not just recent history) and USA's roster looks pretty weak. I'll willing to bet they don't even make the finals.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Probably for about as long as HabLover has been stewing over Canada's LOSS in the last year's gold medal game.

so true. i notice he was eagerly waiting to poo-poo the USA's win over UND yesterday. Hopefully Team USA's players won't be bothered by it. Maybe they can console themselves by polishing their GOLD MEDALS :)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
nomorekids said:
so true. i notice he was eagerly waiting to poo-poo the USA's win over UND yesterday. Hopefully Team USA's players won't be bothered by it. Maybe they can console themselves by polishing their GOLD MEDALS :)

What with them being so tarnished and all! :)

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
The thing that bothers me as a Canadian fan is that we have a hard time accepting that we lost last year. If the Americans were leading after two periods, and we came back to win, it would be considered a comeback of the ages. The Americans made their own good luck, and made our own bad luck. I tip my hat to your win last year, and hope we kick your butts hard this year. I can't wait for the tourney to start. Go Canada. ;)

Mountain Dude

nomorekids said:
Gosh, how much longer is this loss going to be rationalized? It's already NEXT YEAR. Get over it, already. Canada didn't beat themselves. Give some credit where it's due. Jeez.

I'm not gonna say that the US didn't deserve it, or anything like that, but we did score on ourselves.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
loadie said:
The thing that bothers me as a Canadian fan is that we have a hard time accepting that we lost last year. ;)

Lost last year? What are you talking about?
:amazed:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:

Yeah, I love how people that didn't even watch the freaking game were chiming in. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad