Evan Schwabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
After having a breakout year last season playing with Junior Lessard, going from 10 pts the year before to 57 pts, is one heck of increase in offensive production. The question remains can he do it without Lessard. So far he seems to be doing well, as he leads his team in scoring with 11 pts in 6 games and has helped Minnesota-Duluth become the top team in the NCAA so far in the early part of the season, playing in the most competitive conference the WCHA. UMD also has scored the most goals in the NCAA overall, as I'm not about to figure it out on a per game average. 29 goals in 6 games is impressive.

So who will be the NHL team to take a shot on the FA Schwabe this summer? Will his lack of size keep teams from signing him, I hope the Habs take a look at him and Jon Smyth of Colgate. I wanted the Habs to sign Rene Bourque from Wisconsin, but the Hawks got him and he seems to be doing well in the AHL, stats wise. Habs could have used his big frame down the middle, oh well.

X-SHARKIE

Bourque has quite the shot! I had to face it durring a goaltending invite camp this summer.... He's really somthing.... Not as good as Phil Kessels shot though, his release is so hard to read...anyways.

I too was surprised the Sharks didn't take a stab at him, recently they've been aquiring snipers, Bernier, Kaspar, and other low round pick projects like Carter Lee.

How is Evan's skating? I heard he looks a bit stronger and faster this year. Mabey that what happens when your not skating next to the Hoby baker winner in Lessard though.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
montreal said:
After having a breakout year last season playing with Junior Lessard, going from 10 pts the year before to 57 pts, is one heck of increase in offensive production. The question remains can he do it without Lessard. So far he seems to be doing well, as he leads his team in scoring with 11 pts in 6 games and has helped Minnesota-Duluth become the top team in the NCAA so far in the early part of the season, playing in the most competitive conference the WCHA. UMD also has scored the most goals in the NCAA overall, as I'm not about to figure it out on a per game average. 29 goals in 6 games is impressive.

So who will be the NHL team to take a shot on the FA Schwabe this summer? Will his lack of size keep teams from signing him, I hope the Habs take a look at him and Jon Smyth of Colgate. I wanted the Habs to sign Rene Bourque from Wisconsin, but the Hawks got him and he seems to be doing well in the AHL, stats wise. Habs could have used his big frame down the middle, oh well.

UMD has yet to play any team that is any good. So I'd take their stats with a grain of salt.

Schwabe will still get pretty good numbers this year as UMD has a weak schedule overall and that will help him pad his stats. As far as the NHL, Schwabe isn't good enough for that. He seems destined for a weaker league in the minors. Too small and too weak.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
UMD has yet to play any team that is any good. So I'd take their stats with a grain of salt.

Schwabe will still get pretty good numbers this year as UMD has a weak schedule overall and that will help him pad his stats. As far as the NHL, Schwabe isn't good enough for that. He seems destined for a weaker league in the minors. Too small and too weak.

So you must be able to predict the future then? How can you make such a comment? Size? Have you seen some of the breakout players lately in the NHL. They are smaller guys who have put it together and got the job done. Too weak? How do you know that, or are you just assuming so because he's small. Seems to me like you haven't seen much of Schwabe because your comments don't have much foundation. Schwabe is one heck of a college player and he will play pro, just a matter of at what level.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Kritty said:
So you must be able to predict the future then? How can you make such a comment? Size? Have you seen some of the breakout players lately in the NHL. They are smaller guys who have put it together and got the job done. Too weak? How do you know that, or are you just assuming so because he's small. Seems to me like you haven't seen much of Schwabe because your comments don't have much foundation. Schwabe is one heck of a college player and he will play pro, just a matter of at what level.

I know he is weak because I am friendly with a number of guys who play against him and that is what they say. They say he really is easy to battle against for the puck and he bounced off of them easy because he is the size of a gnat. Yes, the NHL has small guys in it. The difference is they are able to handle a beating and still play physical.

Your last sentence agrees with me. Except he'll never see a day in the NHL. There have been better college players of the same stature as Schwabe (like Jeff Panzer) that have never seen a day of the NHL. I highly doubt Schwabe will make it

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I gotta agree with PuckFan01 in his assessment of Schwabe. He played here in the SJHL from 1999-2001 with the Kindersley Klippers. Even at this level he was always the little guy who'd chip with a few points, but never was that dominant of a player. In 115 games, he totalled 118 points. But still got the scholarship to Minnesota-Duluth. Maybe as a player he has changed since going to college. However, from what I remember of him as a junior player, I can't see him tearing up the pro level.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Bourque has quite the shot! I had to face it durring a goaltending invite camp this summer.... He's really somthing.... Not as good as Phil Kessels shot though, his release is so hard to read...anyways.

I too was surprised the Sharks didn't take a stab at him, recently they've been aquiring snipers, Bernier, Kaspar, and other low round pick projects like Carter Lee.

How is Evan's skating? I heard he looks a bit stronger and faster this year. Mabey that what happens when your not skating next to the Hoby baker winner in Lessard though.

I haven't seen him this year yet, but I will soon. I was impressed with him and Tim Stapleton, although both are small, both have good hands, speed and skate well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad