Europa League 2017/2018

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Players like Grizz, Salah, and Ronaldo score or create a chance almost every time they have a numerical advantage. The weakness of great possession football is that inevitably the other team will have a numerical advantage. Atletico had three or maybe four of them.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I think soccer in general sucks when it comes to diving, surrounding the ref, delaying the game etc. But Spanish and Italian soccer is on a whole other level. Can't stand to watch it.. f***ing disease

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Too bad Marseille wasted their early chance and gifted the first goal, after that it was obvious there was a huge gap in talent between both teams. The crowd was great though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Griezmann will go to Barca. Besides everything else, he wants to stay in Spain too.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No surprise that Atleti won the competition. The moment they parachuted down to the Europa League they were favorites. They have too good a side (I put them at about 7th or 8th in Europe) and they have a ton of continental experience in the team. Then you've got Griezmann who as I've called him is an "X factor" type player who can deliver a result all on his own. Make no mistake, I don't like them, but I definitely respect their level. Deserved win in terms of the competition as a whole and a fitting reward for their overall season, though I'm not sure Gabi is deserving considering he thinks it's a "shit competition."

I have to say that I was wrong about Griezmann. I definitely underrated him. He's had an excellent season and is definitely one of the best players out there right now. Thought that second goal was really nicely done the whole way round by him.

Even if Atleti lose Griezmann I don't see them suffering too much. They still have a very balanced and strong squad and they should then have some money to spend. I can see why Simeone doesn't leave and with the Wanda and that side the future looks bright for the mattress men.

Oh, and somewhere in a strip club Torrente is celebrating.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even if Atleti lose Griezmann I don't see them suffering too much. They still have a very balanced and strong squad and they should then have some money to spend. I can see why Simeone doesn't leave and with the Wanda and that side the future looks bright for the mattress men.

Their debt level is still around half billion euros. Even if they sell Griezmann for 100 million, their finances are still going to be deep in the red and the future difficult.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Their debt level is still around half billion euros. Even if they sell Griezmann for 100 million, their finances are still going to be deep in the red and the future difficult.

The debt is very likely managed and when you look at their side they have some quality younger players. On top of that they'll be able to spend some if for example they sell Griezmann. To say the future will be difficult is quite speculative.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If they fail to pay their debts they will go bankrupt, it's by no means optional. The tax authorities may have patience for political reasons, but private lenders do want their money back. Living beyond their means was what got them in the mess to start with and it can't just go on and on.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Aletico just played a 100% Atletico game... Was hoping Marseille would win, or at least score first to get Atletico off their game... But they've got tons of experience in these games at this point.

France stays on just 2 club titles. It's actually mindblowing when you think about it.
Since European club competitions were formed (some now defunct, like CWC) France has won only TWO trophies (Marseille EC and PSG CWC).
Thats less titles than USSR (even without the the wins for Russia later), Portugal, Scotland, Belgium... And as many as Sweden.
As far as EC wins go, its the same number of wins as former Yugoslavia, Romania and Scotland.

Reactions: Pouchkine

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If they fail to pay their debts they will go bankrupt, it's by no means optional. The tax authorities may have patience for political reasons, but private lenders do want their money back. Living beyond their means was what got them in the mess to start with and it can't just go on and on.

Again, their debts are surely managed or you'd be reading otherwise. Just because a club has debt doesn't mean they'll fail to pay that debt and go bankrupt. Even if they need cash right away they could see three players and get half of that immediately.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The stadium debt to Carlos Slim was recently restructured and will now cost 16 million euros each year until 2027, and that's just 163 million of their 585 million total debt. Indeed they can sell their best players, but whatever they get to replace them they must find from the bargain bin.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The stadium debt to Carlos Slim was recently restructured and will now cost 16 million euros each year until 2027, and that's just 163 million of their 585 million total debt. Indeed they can sell their best players, but whatever they get to replace them they must find from the bargain bin.

So you're saying they can't afford the restructured debt?

Well there are some bargain bin players are there, so they could. They could also promote from within. Either way it won't be necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->