Europa League 2017/2018

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah they suck and nobody cares about that league.
Games are unwatchable, pitches are amateurish.
No russian player can export to a great european team.
Even good ones like Dzagoev stay home and never progress.
France has 0 trophy this millenium keep on with your nonsense posts. It's like your credibility 0.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah for sure when Zenit won they trashed Bundesliga Champions Bayern 4-0 in the 1/2's. That was tougher than Porto CL run in 2004.

France Ligue 1 is the joke league of Europe. Like the Gilles Simon Gael Monfils Gasquet Tsonga...

And when looking at the winners I see names like Sevilla Chelsea Liverpool Atletico Madrid alongside CSKA Zenit that's good company.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
UEFA Cup at that point was also a lot different than this on many levels.
No since 1999-2000 it's only Champions and UEFAEuropa. When Liverpool won in 2001 for instance they had to beat Barcelona and Roma Serie A Champions along the way. This ain't your 70's 80's 90's 3 cup era.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The league that is a total joke in Europe is France Ligue 1. No suspense lots of boring games and can't compete in Europe not good enough for CL and not even in Europa.

...the French league is basically just a better version of the russian league...
They are very close to the 5th spot and at least they can win European trophies...

lol no, the RPL is not close to Ligue 1 or Serie A

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
...the French league is basically just a better version of the russian league...

French league is at least very watchable and provides talent to the rest of Europe. Other than Spanish trophies proving their league is the best I'm not sure what the point of comparing European trophies really is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
French league is at least very watchable and provides talent to the rest of Europe. Other than Spanish trophies proving their league is the best I'm not sure what the point of comparing European trophies really is.

That’s what I meant, the French league is what the RPL strives to be if only they could learn to develop their 18-22 year olds, if their cash actually got the best of the best, and if anyone actually bothered to try to play good football with any regularity.

For a country that sees it’s football roots in Dutch Total Football, Russian teams play absolutely hideous football.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yes at the moment I agree with you. The National Team especially plays horrible football. But when Zenit won the Uefa and Russia made the 1/2 in 2008 of Euro their style was very enjoyable so it also has to do with the players you have and what managers you have.

lol no, the RPL is not close to Ligue 1 or Serie A
RPL is very close to the 5th spot in the Uefa Rankings. The league was even in the 5th spot if I recall maybe 5 years ago. That's not fanboys talking that's actually quite accurate...And actually are you really suggesting that a joke league where there's absolutely no suspense for the title is what you want to see? At least Russia has a very competitive and interesting to follow league. If Lokomotiv wins this year it would mean that in recent years Lokomotiv Spartak CSKA Zenit Kazan would have won titles, that's the sign of a healthy and great league while improving in the UEFA rankings.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes at the moment I agree with you. The National Team especially plays horrible football. But when Zenit won the Uefa and Russia made the 1/2 in 2008 of Euro their style was very enjoyable so it also has to do with the players you have and what managers you have.

RPL is very close to the 5th spot in the Uefa Rankings. The league was even in the 5th spot if I recall maybe 5 years ago. That's not fanboys talking that's actually quite accurate...

I mean the club teams almost all play hideous football. The NT was fun in 2008, before Capello, but the clubs have played hideous football all decade. I used to write about russian young talents so watched a lot of RPL football between 2010 and 2013, and a good bit from 2013 to 2015; but since it stopped being a requirement I've watched progressively less because of just how ugly the football is.

Russia won't ever catch the top 5 unless Zenit suddenly becomes a player at the CL level.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015

RPL is very close to the 5th spot in the Uefa Rankings. The league was even in the 5th spot if I recall maybe 5 years ago. That's not fanboys talking that's actually quite accurate...

I mean the club teams almost all play hideous football. The NT was fun in 2008, before Capello, but the clubs have played hideous football all decade. I used to write about russian young talents so watched a lot of RPL football between 2010 and 2013, but since it stopped being a requirement I've watched progressively less because of how ugly the football is.

Russia won't ever catch the top 5 unless Zenit suddenly becomes a player at the CL level.
I agree with the first part.

But the second part just isn't true. Go watch the UEFA Rankings. Russia is ahead of Portugal and closing in on France. It was even #5 if I recall maybe 5 years ago.

And if they don't wake up Zenit might yet again miss the Champions League. For a so called really talented team at least it means there's some real good teams in the league if once again they miss out on the CL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with the first part.

But the second part just isn't true. Go watch the UEFA Rankings. Russia is ahead of Portugal and closing in on France. It was even #5 if I recall maybe 5 years ago.

They can't catch Ligue 1 until Zenit can at least come close to matching PSG's CL exploits. They can move up to 6th to lead that next tier with Portugal, the netherlands, belgium, and turkey; but the top 5 is out of reach even with the EL bolstering the league's coefficient.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
They can't catch Ligue 1 until Zenit can at least come close to matching PSG's CL exploits. They can move up to 6th to lead that next tier with Portugal, the netherlands, belgium, and turkey; but the top 5 is out of reach even with the EL bolstering the league's coefficient.
And please don't make me laugh : PSG's CL exploits? You mean year after year getting knocked out early while spending enormous amount of money??

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Zenit spend pocket change compare to PSG. But as you can see Russia could get to the 5th spot very soon. And CSKA just won a very important head to head with Lyon the same with Lokomotiv beating Nice.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fekir, Benzema, Lacazette, Mbappe, Griezmann, Giroud? Don't think anyone picks Kokorin over any of them.

Again I said if Fekir is injured and Benzema is banished, then you could make a case for Kokorin over Giroud for the depth spot behind Mbappe, Griezmann & Lacazette. You know how much I love Fekir.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Who cares we are talking about club football here. Of course France National Team is massively better than this current Russian team, but will they win anything? Not so sure.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If PSG actually qualifying for the CL knockout stages is a joke...what does that make Zenit?
PSG is build to win the CL. Major difference.

Zenit can't even dominate their own league. At least it shows the Russian league is competitive...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad