Recalled/Assigned: Ethan Bear Recalled

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't disagree with any of this. Was just having a bit of fun.

Kid has lots to like. But he can't play defense at this level. No shame in it, but he needs more time before he's ready for prime time.

He's got some shockingly bad GF/GA numbers.
To be fair, hasn't his main partner been Sekera who can barely play at a 7 d level this season?

Reactions: Dan Kelly and nabob

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair, hasn't his main partner been Sekera who can barely play at a 7 d level this season?
No, his main partner has not been Sekera. Far and away his most frequent partner has been Klefbom with 76 minutes at 5v5. Then Russell with 31. Then Sekera and Nurse at 19 and 15 minutes respectively.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No, his main partner has not been Sekera. Far and away his most frequent partner has been Klefbom with 76 minutes at 5v5. Then Russell with 31. Then Sekera and Nurse at 19 and 15 minutes respectively.

Heh that aint very good either

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of Bear, a few too many mistakes, but what he brings to the table is very obvious to see and he is very game, willing to battle and fight to recover from any mistakes he's made. I'm not 100% convinced he will make our starting line-up on day 1 next year, but he doesn't appear to be all that far off.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm really liking what I'm seeing out of Bear, a few too many mistakes, but what he brings to the table is very obvious to see and he is very game, willing to battle and fight to recover from any mistakes he's made. I'm not 100% convinced he will make our starting line-up on day 1 next year, but he doesn't appear to be all that far off.

Yeah, agreed. I'd be surprised if he made the team out of camp but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that by the 2nd half of 2018/19 he's on this team full time at that point.

There's no denying that he's rough defensively, but it's also obvious that he has a specific skillset that the team really is in dire need of, enough that I think the Oilers would be able to live with him not being a defensive stalwart as long as he can produce with that skillset.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Yeah, agreed. I'd be surprised if he made the team out of camp but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that by the 2nd half of 2018/19 he's on this team full time at that point.

There's no denying that he's rough defensively, but it's also obvious that he has a specific skillset that the team really is in dire need of, enough that I think the Oilers would be able to live with him not being a defensive stalwart as long as he can produce with that skillset.

I want him to succeed as bad as anyone, but he is a trainwreck defensively. He has no clue.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
He will figure it out defensively. He was great in his own zone for Seattle, and won best defenseman his final year. I saw him play many times in Seattle and he did all the little things right. He is a quick learner too.

Wish my Bruins had drafted him. And Barzal. And Theodore. And Kolesar... And the rest of my TBirds haha

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I want him to succeed as bad as anyone, but he is a trainwreck defensively. He has no clue.

Trainwreck? Give him SOME credit. Won defencemen of the year in the WHL. Earned a call-up in his first year as pro in the AHL - and is a minor liability at best. He's looking fantastic as a 5th round pick, first year pro, and we should be ecstatic.

When people say trainwreck defensively, to me it seems like such a harsh term, like you're casting a label to that player that will stick. Fact is, he's a rookie and is giving us something to look forward to in the future.

It's more fair to say that he's not ready and lacks pro experience. I think it's an area he can and will improve substantially.

Edit: I really hope he's given top pairing, pp1 minutes in the AHL next year and called up around the same time if he's earned it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Would be nice to see the coaching staff put him in a position to succeed. No reason why this kid should be PKing in the NHL right now. It's a huge jump to go from junior to being in the NHL half a season later at the NHL level. Especially since he was hurt for a large chunk of his season in the AHL.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

Bear has struggled a bit but you can see his talent ! but Sekera went from arguably the Oilers best d-man last year to a player of pretty much no consequence at all this year after returning from his injury, so if Bear has been spending the majority of his time with this guy, i can see the numbers slipping a bit more still.

Reactions: TheGhost

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If you look at Ethan Bear's name, and assign numbers to letters in order (A = 1, B = 2, C =3 etc), then his name will add up to 74 (his jersey number).

Ethan Bear = ?
E (5) + t(20) + h(8) + a(1) + n(14) + B(2) + e(5) + a(1) + r(18) = 74

Now, that's pretty insane. But what if you did reverse reduced Gematria for the Edmonton Oilers?
( I started to use this website since I got lazy, Gematria Calculator - GEMATRINATOR.com)

Edmonton Oilers = 74

Now, that's pretty insane. But what if you did reverse reduced Gematria for the Thunderbirds?

Thunderbirds = 74

It's pretty cool how his jersey number relates to a lot of things in his life like the teams he has played on.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If you look at Ethan Bear's name, and assign numbers to letters in order (A = 1, B = 2, C =3 etc), then his name will add up to 74 (his jersey number).

Ethan Bear = ?

Now, that's pretty insane. But what if you did reverse reduced Gematria for the Edmonton Oilers?
( I started to use this website since I got lazy, Gematria Calculator - GEMATRINATOR.com)

Edmonton Oilers = 74

Now, that's pretty insane. But what if you did reverse reduced Gematria for the Thunderbirds?

Thunderbirds = 74

Pretty cool that almost every equals 74!

wat.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Ethan Bear = ?

Edmonton Oilers = 74

Thunderbirds = 74

Pretty cool that almost every equals 74!

Illuminati!!

Seriously though, I find number/numerology stuff like that fascinating. I wonder if that's why he wears 74 or if it is just a coincidence.

By the way, there are no coincidences...(cue suspenseful organ music)

Reactions: Aerrol

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Remember, Mclellan isn't really into the line match thing so I wouldn't be surprised if he's just throwing him out there against whoever.

Reactions: Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Ethan Bear = ?

Edmonton Oilers = 74

Thunderbirds = 74

It's pretty cool how his jersey number relates to a lot of things in his life like the teams he has played on.

And if you multiply 74 by 9, you get 666!!!!! :eek:

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I really like Bear you can really see his potential especially on the offensive side. One thing I am really impressed with is his first pass which is just really nice and crisp. It also always gets to his target it seems. He is also good at holding the offensive zone and you can see his good offensive instincts. The defensive side it his been a rough time for him but I he can improve now seeing what it takes. It seems to me he looks a bit lost and can't keep up defensively but he for sure can work on that and improve. I am excited to see how he grows over the next couple of years.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The upside is that you can learn defense. Harder to learn Bear's offensive skills. Just needs more time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The upside is that you can learn defense. Harder to learn Bear's offensive skills. Just needs more time.
Agreed, he's clearly a smart enough player to learn the "tricks and skills" it takes to be an effective NHL defenseman and the existing offensive component will only serve him going forward.

Bear is anything but a finished product, but there's an NHL player in Ethan Bear, I'm curious how good he gets.

Reactions: Zaddy

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The cup of coffee will set the tone for him next year. The issue is with his defensive game. He thinks the game very well and maybe he's able to cheat to much in the AHL to truly improve on that aspect.

With that said hopefully in practice he is lining up against connors line versus being on it

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There is a player in Bear, now it all about development. I don't really care much about his defensive zone ability right now because hes so green in the NHL + D zone ability can be taught more easily. It is very, very hard to teach a player offensive instincts, which he possesses. I would like to see his D zone ability improve in the next 2 years, but not at the expense of offensive ability.

Id like to see him kept in the NHL for the rest of the season and even given a longer leash to end the year. The year is done, let the kid roam and find his offensive game. Next season Id like to see him given a cup of tea in the NHl again if he shows well in camp. If hes not good enough, put him in the AHL for 20 games on the top pairing and see after that. If he is good enough for the NHL to start the year, put him on the bottom pairing and shelter him. Would hate to see the Oilers put him higher in the line up because hes a RHD

In any event, great to see a late round D pick have relative success in the NHL. Hopefully Jones is next up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad